Replacing tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Replacing tires

Hi all,

So one of our tire blew on the highway this past weekend. It was scary since it happened right in the middle of the highway but luckily we were going straight when the tire blew and we were able to pull to the shoulder safely.

The tire was ripped to shreds and is not repairable, so we now need to get a replacement. Being newbies, we are not sure if it is ok to simply replace just one tire or if we need to replace both (we have a single axle trailer).

The tire that blew appears to be older than the one that is in tact, as least that is what we observed.

Also, what are some of the reasons for a tire to blow like that? We have attached the blown tire as reference.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
20160817_154801_HDR.jpg   20160817_154806_HDR.jpg  

Jacqueline in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Age and underinflation are the usual culprits.

How old is the remaining tire? The manufacture date is stamped in the sidewall as WWYY (week and year). If it's more than 5 years old I'd replace both.

Also, check the pressure in the remaining tire. If it's been run low, the integrity of the tire may have been compromised and I'd replace it.

Don't depend on appearance or tread with trailer tires. They spend a lot of time sitting unused and the rubber deteriorates. That said, do inspect the remaining tire for any sign of unusual wear that might indicate a problem with the axle.

Don't forget to check the spare while you're at it.

Once you're back up and running, check pressure frequently (daily when on the road). Most recommend inflating to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Replace both! Remember, you may an asset that (may) cost thousands of dollars riding down the road on two things that together probably cost less than $500. Good tires, replacing every 5 years or so is dang cheap insurance (in the long run) and don't forget you need a decent spare tire too. (she says as she now has six tires to replace every five years or so.)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
(she says as she now has six tires to replace every five years or so.)
You have two spares—or three axles?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
You have two spares—or three axles?

/Mr Lynn
Tandem axle =4 tires
Plus the spare.

Okay, so that's only five tires. My finger counter isn't working so well

But it still gets down to $$ dollars. Do you REALLY want to put a major asset at risk? I don't, I made my decision. YMMV
Old 08-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
After an incident like that, replacing BOTH tires wouldnt even be a question! I dont run "odd" tires on ANYTHING...well except maybe my old bicycle.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Donna,
You forgot the Scamp. You are at eight.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Donna,
You forgot the Scamp. You are at eight.
AND the four bicycles and the FIVE motor vehicles I own.

I think I should buy stock in Firestone or Bridgestone
Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just a little sideline, I borrowed a buddies compressor for a building project. Figured while I had it I'd check and air up all the tires I had on vehicles and trailers. Turned out to be 31 or 32 total....I bought my own compressor the next day .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #10

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
So found out the tire that blew was from 2009, and the other tire is from 2013... So it appears that our trailer have been running on uneven tires for a while. Thanks for the tip on checking the manufactured date code!

We will be getting 2 new tires, and use the 2013 tire as the new spare. The current spare looks like it has seen better days

Yes we also have a small compressor and we will make sure to check tire pressure all the time from now on!
Jacqueline in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline in BC View Post
So found out the tire that blew was from 2009, and the other tire is from 2013... So it appears that our trailer have been running on uneven tires for a while. Thanks for the tip on checking the manufactured date code!
We will be getting 2 new tires, and use the 2013 tire as the new spare. The current spare looks like it has seen better days
Yes we also have a small compressor and we will make sure to check tire pressure all the time from now on!

It's good to know the tire dates. I can understand keeping the 2013 tire for a spare but....it's getting close to the end date . If it was me (and I did this) I would buy three new tires. You now have a set start date without having to decode tire dates. Keep the spare covered and rotate the three tires around every year or so to keep the rubber more supple from use. A static unused state is not your friend.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

Hi: Jacqueline in BC... It's not unusual that when buying a set of tires you could get a stale dated new one. We are on our 3rd. fiberglass trailer. #1 I replaced the bias tires with Marathon radials. #2 I replaced the set with Marathon radials, after 6 yrs., before selling it. #3 Still running on the tires from new Carlisle radials, and as luck would have it I've never used any of the spares!!!
I think your plan is a sound one.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #13

Massachusetts
Our used 2013 Casita came with the original tires, now three years old. They look great, and the spare has never been used. I was thinking about rotating the spare with the other two, but was advised to just leave it alone, and replace all three in a couple of years, or sooner if needed.

/Mr Lynn

Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #14

Trailer tires don't show much wear.
They will look great up until they disentigrate.
Even thought you can get 5 years out of a set I prefer to replace them at three years buying tires and rims and then selling the used ones on Craig's list.

Two 15" "D" Maxxis 8008 and rims were about $200 that way.

That defers some of the cost and I don't have to pay disposal fees and the like and my rims always look new
Two rims were $58 online. I thought long and hard about fancy aluminum rims but at twice the cost I declined
2 Pack Trailer Rims 403 14x6 14" 5 Bolt Hole 4 5" OC White Steel Spoke w Stripe | eBay

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Trailer tires don't show much wear.
They will look great up until they disentigrate.
Even thought you can get 5 years out of a set I prefer to replace them at three years buying tires and rims and then selling the used ones on Craig's list. . .
I don't understand replacing rims, unless they are badly rusted or damaged.

/Mr Lynn

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Just a month ago I had the same type tire failure. The entire tread came off while driving unpaved Route du Nord in Quebec. I was lucky. I happened to be looking in the mirror and saw the nearly-detached tread go round a couple of times before flying off. The casing held air. There was no sound or feeling to indicate failure.

Because I often travel away from civilization I carry two mounted spares for my single-axle trailer and two for my van. A van tire developed a leak on the same road.

I'm thrifty while my wife is safety conscious. I am seeing the wisdom of her ways. I replaced two trailer tires and three van tires in Saguenay, the first town I came to during business hours. Despite the fact that most of the replaced tires still had some life (the leaker could have been patched), I FELT so much better riding on new rubber. How much would I pay to avoid being on the side of a busy road in the dark changing a tire? Or to avoid a hefty towing bill?

Source of that trailer tire failure likely was heat. Turns out I had an intermittently dragging brake due to salt air over the years corroding the moving parts. I believe the brake drum heated the rim which then greatly increased the air pressure.

I
Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:

/Mr Lynn
Just got back a couple weeks ago from Elkhart Indiana center of the universe for everything trailer related where I was able to buy 2 new tires on aluminum rims for $100 each about the price of one tire here in Canada . Pretty much saved enough to pay for gas ,camp ,and a trip to shipshauana and and I'll sell my old (2 year old aluminum rims) for what I payed for the new ones.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:

/Mr Lynn
It's easy to sell tires mounted on rims, think plug n play, and difficult to sell tires alone.

At three years rims still look good but not as nice as new ones.

So my rims were $58 but I sold old tires and rims for $90.

Or $32 ahead with new shiny rims and I didn't pay disposal fees on 2 tires.

Not for everyone but it works for me

Another reason is if you want aluminum wheels as many do.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
It's good to know the tire dates. I can understand keeping the 2013 tire for a spare but....it's getting close to the end date . If it was me (and I did this) I would buy three new tires. You now have a set start date without having to decode tire dates. Keep the spare covered and rotate the three tires around every year or so to keep the rubber more supple from use. A static unused state is not your friend.
The spare is only three years old... less than half way 'til "Logan's Run"

(Tire dealer's mount tires up to ten years old)

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Also, what are some of the reasons for a tire to blow like that? ...
Based on the available information this tire failure is not surprising, and if we knew the full history of the tires it might have been perfectly predictable.

I have developed the below guidelines in an effort to protect myself from such tire failures, and the damage to the camper that usually results. I won’t claim that I follow all of these guidelines all of the time but ideally this is what I would do.

General rules:

1. Know the date your tires were made (date code on tire). Replace when they reach 5-6 years of age or sooner if not well cared for. Note that the date code on mine was on the inside so it is a PIA to read.
2. Use a TPMS (with metal valve stems) to monitor pressure and temperature when traveling.
3. A few days before each outing, fully inflate tires on the trailer and visually inspect all tires and wheels including the deflated spare. Recheck the trailer’s tires pressure and condition prior to departing. Any excessive and unexplained loss of pressure should be investigated before departure.
4. Keep tires covered when trailer is stored or parked, esp. if for more than a few days.
5. Carry a portable inflator and quality pressure gauge (or two, in order to compare readings).
6. Keep wheels and tires clean and keep them away from solvents, gas fumes, chemicals, etc. as well as running motors.
7. Rotate tires when doing annual bearing and brake inspection and maintenance.

The spare:

1. Store indoors in a dark place and /or in sealed plastic bags with as much air as possible removed.
2. When towing put spare on rear mount with tire cover, or better yet, in tow vehicle still in storage bag. In either event, inflate to 10 PSI and only fully inflate when it is put into service.
3. Rotating with trailer’s tires is optional.

Short term storage:

1. If trailer is stored without raising the tires off the ground leave them at max inflation. Some experts recommend overinflating 25% as long as that does not exceed the rating for the rim and then readjusting to normal inflation before traveling.
2. If trailer is temporarily stored but not raised on stands, then move the trailer a couple of feet every 5-10 weeks so the portion in contact with the ground changes (to prevent get flat spots).
3. Remove heavyweight items and empty water and waste tanks to reduce the load on the tires and axle.

Long term storage:

1. Raise the trailer on jack stands until the tires are off the ground. Deflate tires to 10 PSI and cover. If practical, remove the wheels and store them indoors in a dark place and /or in sealed plastic bags with as much air as possible removed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires