Replacing Trillium rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Replacing Trillium rock guard

My '72 Trillium came without a rock guard. I want one, as much as anything, to keep beating rain off the front window while on the road. I have purchased 5oz corrugated fiberglass panelling for the covering and now I need to decide on the frame. The local machine shop will make up whatever I draw for them. My first thought was using 1"x1" angle aluminum and holding the fiberglass in place with 1/2" x 1/2" square tubing. Another thought is using 1/2" x 1" rectangular tubing for the frame, with another piece in the middle, and just fastening the fiberglass to the outside of the frame. I will use hinges to fasten it to the trailer with latches on the bottom and held open with prop cylinders. ( The same used to hold open the rear doors on truck caps. I can order them in any length and lb strength.) I'm not the first to retrofit a rock guard and I'm open to suggestions primarily about the frame design.
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #2

Since the corrugated fiberglass is designed to be fastened to the outside of roof framing I have decided to go with a welded rectangular aluminum tubing frame, with one mid width cross member, and I'll screw the fiberglass to the face of the frame. FYI
Barrie
Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Rock guard project

Pictures when the project is complete, please.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Pictures when the project is complete, please.
No problem. When I visited the machine shop this morning to order the frame the 1"x1" square aluminum tubing was of heavy enough wall thickness so I went with that. It will be 52"x26" with a cross member at the half width point. Hinges and latches are still being pondered. I will also post project costs.
Shoulder surgery has slowed progress a bit this spring. I will need to take pictures front and back as the project to complete the rear scooter ('82 Honda C70) rack is finished as well.
Barrie

Tags
trillium