Replacing Trillium Window Rock Guard - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Finally got around to fixing the Rock Guard.

I took out the old fiberglass and removed the center post that was holding it in place. The old piece had 2 plastic inserts both top and bottom that I reused to suck the fiberglass tight to the frame. I got a piece of fiberglass panelling from Home Hardware though I think that the stuff they had is a bit thin. I painted it a gloss black (though I may redo it in a matte finish) to match the Almond/Black/Silver look I am going for with the trailer and TV - Have a silver/black awning on the way. I need to polish the aluminum but I happy with the results, far better then what I had.

Thanks again everybody!

Click image for larger version

Name:	small00001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	14760
Attached Thumbnails
small00002.jpg  
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Here is what I did for my Boler.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #23

This thread has been very helpful. We don't have a rock guard at all!

There is a bit of the original aluminum hinge and some bits of supports left hanging in the breeze. What catastrophic event triggered this result, I have no idea. It's buggered and starting from scratch sounds like a great idea.

On the Trillium Logo: I will have a sign shop cut new Trillium logos in vinyl. I am drawing the vector graphics in Adobe Illustrator, so when that's done I'll post the PDF somewhere. As I am writing this I'm thinking someone must have this already somewhere.

anyhoo, great thread. Thanks.
Paul McEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Quote:
This thread has been very helpful. We don't have a rock guard at all!

There is a bit of the original aluminum hinge and some bits of supports left hanging in the breeze. What catastrophic event triggered this result, I have no idea. It's buggered and starting from scratch sounds like a great idea.

On the Trillium Logo: I will have a sign shop cut new Trillium logos in vinyl. I am drawing the vector graphics in Adobe Illustrator, so when that's done I'll post the PDF somewhere. As I am writing this I'm thinking someone must have this already somewhere.

anyhoo, great thread. Thanks.

Did you ever post the logo drawing, I'm ready to paint the rock gaurd, but a vinyl stick on would be easier. The door on my 4500 has a silver/crome logo stick on, maybe the same size? --Dan--
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Did you ever post the logo drawing, I'm ready to paint the rock gaurd, but a vinyl stick on would be easier. The door on my 4500 has a silver/crome logo stick on, maybe the same size? --Dan--
Humm, Dan... Paul was last logged in to FiberglassRV on 17th September 2008 - 11:20 PM, if you click on his name, you can send him an e-mail through his profile.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Quote:
Humm, Dan... Paul was last logged in to FiberglassRV on 17th September 2008 - 11:20 PM, if you click on his name, you can send him an e-mail through his profile.

Donna, All is not lost, I got a reply from Joe via personal message that may be of great help. I will try your suggestion if the item joe is sending to me doesn't work out, but it should be just what I need. --Dan--
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
Thanks Daniel and pjantis,

No worries, the rock guard won't keep me from camping. I didn't take a vacation last year so hoping to take 2 separate week long trips plus a bunch of long weekends with the kids. We didn't camp as much last year as our summer was very poor in BC.
Booker B, I don't think there was any problem with BC's weather in 2008.
I had my Trillium out to a couple music fests, two Star Party's, and several just regular camping trips between May long weekend and Labor Day.

Just hitch up that Trillium and the kids and go camping. *_* Roger
Regor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

OEM type rockguards are available from Trillium RV.

http://www.trilliumrv.com/Parts/PartsList.htm

They are pricey, but you do get the Trillium logo.

BTW, Booker, I would think you would have left the fiberglass translucent instead of painting it. At least you would have gotten some light through the front window without raising the rockguard. Thin plexiglass would be even better, it is clear.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #29

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
OEM type rockguards are available from Trillium RV.
Although, aren't the new ones rounded on the corners, whereas the older Trilliums have front windows that are squared-off on the corners? I would think there might be a fitment issue (or are the new, new US Trillium front windows square again, and it's just the new Canadian ones that were round...correct me if I'm wrong).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #30

Old thread back to life!

Rebar, I posted this thread back in spring of 2008 and I was referring to the summer of 2007. I agree, 2008 was a great summer right up until the last week of August and by then I was working on the house to put it up for sale.

Roger, I didn't really the the translucent look to the fiberglass panel with the embedded strangand the true translucent plastic panels are a bit weak. I am still on the look out for an original one - if you can believe it I met a couple who had thrown there's out a month before I met them - they boonie bashed with their trillium and wanted to see through the back window.

Raya, I believe you are right on the rounded shape of the new rockscreens. Though the one I have doesn't look nearly as spiffy as the new ones it's works great and is easy to rebuild if I want to redo it in the future.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #31

Trailer: 73 Trillium 13 ft / Toyota Landcrusier HDJ81
The black corrugated material doesn't look too bad, I might do the same while I search for an original. By the way, did yours have the torx bolts holding the aluminum frame together? Its weird it seems to be between a t10 and 115 size?
E Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[quote]Hi,

I would like to replace the non-original rockguard on our trailer (well both trailers actually). Below are the current pictures of what is it place. It works alright but is not very sturdy nor very attractive. I would prefer to find an original or replacement original style but that may be unlikely. I am looking for suggestions if there are workable aftermarket ones (Doug Mager mentioned he had one from Escape).

Thanks in advance.

Attachment 13031

I am just in the process of researching a rock guard replacement for my Trillium. My original panel was damaged and I've tried a sign material PVC which will do in a pinch. The options I've found so far are:

1. Fiberglass board 1/8" found at Rona or Home Depot. Eggshell finish, paintable and bombproof We used this as a wall covering at our hospital.
2. Fiberglass roofing panels translucent or opaque. Rona. Slightly too thick.
3. PVC Sign panels. A bit wobbly
4. My crazy solution: I am going to use an original panel with a fiberglass mould release compound and create reproductions of the original using polyester resin and fabric.

If option 4 works out, I will post pics. If not, forget I mentioned it.
Lisa A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hello All,
Just in case you need a photo of an original trillium rock shield
here is my 1978 model. When I got it the fiberglass fibers were
showing through the surface. I lightly knocked them down with
fine sandpaper and then applied several coats of clear enamel paint.
Good luck on your project.
Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	TrilliumRockShield.jpg.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	27565
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium