Replacing Trillium Window Rock Guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi,

I would like to replace the non-original rockguard on our trailer (well both trailers actually). Below are the current pictures of what is it place. It works alright but is not very sturdy nor very attractive. I would prefer to find an original or replacement original style but that may be unlikely. I am looking for suggestions if there are workable aftermarket ones (Doug Mager mentioned he had one from Escape).

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diag_rock_screen.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	13031
Attached Thumbnails
frontal_rock_screen.jpg  
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Triple E TM14
On our Surfside the rockguard (original) is corrogated fiberglass. You can buy this at most home centers. It comes in different colors and can be painted. It is light and has stiffnes to retain its shape.

Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Corrugated on the left and right side and a flat panel in the middle with the trillium logo
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I would prefer to find an original or replacement original style but that may be unlikely.
The frame and retainers on your rockguard look fairly close to the original. Missing parts would be the inside panel work which strengthens it a bit. There are probably various things you could do if you feel like improving yours, depending on how creative you feel. Here's what mine looks like - I just took it apart yesterday actually to clean it up, and I can take as many pictures as you need.

Name:	Rock_Guard_1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	13033

Name:	Rock_Guard_2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	13034
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Looks summin lika this....
Attached Thumbnails
Plymouth___Trillium___Summer_Fun_Run.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #6

Wow, Daniel, now that is a clean rock screen! Is it all original or just the frame?

Booker
Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow, Daniel, now that is a clean rock screen! Is it all original or just the frame?
Thanks Booker... Yes, it's the original one as far as I know (though I flipped the panel inserts inside out, and had to replace a few screws and rivets as well as the broken spring-loaded latch pegs). It came out much better than I thought it would. Only thing missing is the big flower logo, but I'm working on it.

Did you try calling the Trillium Outback folks? I bet they would have suggestions.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #8

Team Trillium recently changed their site and removed all the parts listings they used to have. I will have to email them and see what they have - their new screens for the outback are completely different. I also would like to get some Trillium stickers to replace the faded ones, not sure if they have those too.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Well, mine is totally wrecked. The vertical pieces of the frame are broken, the support brackets have come loose and are bent and the fiberglasss is just plain groady looking. I am going to pitch the whole thing, start from scratch with a new design and new materials. Its on my to-do list. Should be done in a couple of years. lol
jimliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

My loss - Team Trillium just sold their last one. They plan to have some made in the 'distant' future so for now I am SOL. They also said they are having a hard time getting used ones anymore as people aren't recycling/selling Trilliums for parts anymore.

Wonder why that is - maybe it's all those freaky collectors bent on restoring their trailers. Doh!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #11

One thing I noticed about those older trailers is that the manufacturing process seemed fairly home-made in the sense that many original components consist of different parts that were readily available at the time and that did not necessarily originate from the RV world, and were put together in a more-or-less custom/inventive way. Trying to recreate such a piece today is not impossible but you will have to use whatever parts are available today and make it your own "original". If you're not into that sorta thing, I'm sure newer rockguards could do just fine and you could put a nice Trillium logo on it if you wanted to. And don't forget to go camping.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Check out this site
http://www.all-rite.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=104
Not much info you probably need to call them. It looks like My Burro's rockguard.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #13

Thanks Daniel and pjantis,

No worries, the rock guard won't keep me from camping. I didn't take a vacation last year so hoping to take 2 separate week long trips plus a bunch of long weekends with the kids. We didn't camp as much last year as our summer was very poor in BC.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
check with some of the rv salvage yards, you might be able to get a rock-guard by some one else if the measurements are close.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #15

Hi Daniel,

Would you mind measuring and posting the outside distances for length and width on the guard? For the short term I just use the hardware I have and get new panels.

Thanks
Booker
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
outside distances for length and width on the guard?
Outside frame length: 50 7/16"
Outside frame width: 25"

That's noticeably larger than the window itself to accomodate the arms/brackets that are attached to the inside, under the frame.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #17

Sorry for not replying sooner Daniel - thanks a lot for taking the time to do the measurements!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #18

Just discovered that the rock screen I do have it seems to be from a surfside but with a different fiberglass screen.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Just discovered that the rock screen I do have it seems to be from a surfside but with a different fiberglass screen.
There must be a Surfside somewhere out there stuck with a Trillium rockguard, then.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium
Hi Booker...I have the same problem, except my frame is salvagable. I went to a sign shop, they have a material they make signs out of...it's plastic core between to sheets of aluminum. For mine he is going to stretch tan colored sign material over top and put the Trillium logo in the center. All for $100.00 !! As a backup plan I went to the parts dept. at Southside RV in Red Deer AB, he priced me a whole new one for $225.00.
schowes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium