Replacing Uhaul CT13 door lock with Trimark - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Replacing Uhaul CT13 door lock with Trimark

Hi everyone,

The door lock on our Uhaul is really hard to lock and unlock, so we thought we could replace it with a Trimark, here on eBay:
Trimark motorhome RV camper Entrance Entry Door Lock Handle Black | eBay
Has anyone used this particular model to do that? I can find no information that this one would work. But it's only 59 dollars!

Thanks very much,
Linda
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I haven't messed with my lock other than taking it out and lubricating it, but if it works but is just hard to use, I'd pop it off and take it to a locksmith for a tune up. These locks are expensive and hard to find.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I agree with Tom, try to stay with the original. Our lock cylinder is a little touchy, have to fiddle with the key some to get it locked. I found that to be able to use the inside lock button, the lock cylinder has to be centered, that is when you unlock the door by turning the key clockwise, then turn it back halfway. Some parts are available on eBay, and rebuild kits are available there. The whole assembly is easy to remove. I cleaned up mine and lubricated it with white grease. I bought a whole new in the box latch assembly on eBay for $60 (deal of the century) and a used one for about the same price.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Have found that the grease in mine has turned like glue. Making the lock very stiff. I spoke to my buddy who is a locksmith and he said pull it out wash it out with brake cleaner spray real,good and then spray it with White Lithium in the spray can. He also made me a set of keys in about 5 min that work the lock perfectly.Thanks Doug at On The Spot Locksmith in Rockmart Ga.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Thankfully uhaul stamped the key codes on the locks so field techs could make keys in the field. Knowing how renters lose keys all the time or lock themselves out. :-)
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My lock is still working ok, but due to the many helpful hints about the UH Locks, I may get the courage this year to pull it out and lubricate it....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
I do cut a lot of keys for lost ones by staff and customers!

Pam it's not hard to pull it out of the door. There is not a need to take it all the way apart. Just out so it can be cleaned and lubed.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul