Replacing wooden lip that supports benches - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Replacing wooden lip that supports benches

Hey there folks,
I'm renovating my 13' Scamp and have run into a conundrum that I could use some help with. Has anyone replaced the wooden ledges that are fiberglassed into the side of the Scamp to screw the benches in (I had to take mine out as they were rotted through)? If so, how did you support the wood so it could be fiberglassed back in? Did you glue it onto the side of the trailer first? Something else? Any help at all would be so appreciated!

Here's a picture of the current ledgeless state of things - tho' I've replaced the floor (woo hoo!) since this was taken.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Not seeing any replies yet, let me make a suggestion. When we built our kayaks, we used wood flower mixed with epoxy ti hold the seams together. Mux the 2-part epoxy first, then add the wood flower to make a paste. You will need to support the brackets until the mix dries. It makes a good bond and it fills in any gaps or texture you will have between the bracket and the wall.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Im running into the same conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary b. View Post
Hey there folks,
I'm renovating my 13' Scamp and have run into a conundrum that I could use some help with. Has anyone replaced the wooden ledges that are fiberglassed into the side of the Scamp to screw the benches in (I had to take mine out as they were rotted through)? If so, how did you support the wood so it could be fiberglassed back in? Did you glue it onto the side of the trailer first? Something else? Any help at all would be so appreciated!

Here's a picture of the current ledgeless state of things - tho' I've replaced the floor (woo hoo!) since this was taken.
From what I have seen on youtube videos the ledges or anything else is fiberglassed in. In our case we would have to replace the rotted ledges with either wood or some other material than using resin and fiberglass painting the resin into the fiberglass. Give it time to dry than apply more fiberglass and resin. My entire floor seems to be rotted not to mention the ledges you speak of. Also on youtube you can see how they repair boats with fiberglass as well.
I won't be doing the replacement of the floors or ledges at this time. But I have ripped out the rat fur, and basically all I have left are the walls of the scamp. Let me know how it works out and put up some pictures.
In the meanwhile once I have a chance I will upload pictures of what I have done.
My major problem is that part of the trailer is rotted through the metal, however I think I can add a metal support using the undercarriage.
Best to you.
Guy
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

Maine
Thanks for the wood flour/epoxy suggestion, Dave. What I'm wondering is how to support the brackets until the mix dries- or does it dry relatively quickly (that is, could I just hold 'em there)?

neauone, I had to replace my entire floor and was able to fiberglass it in with relative ease. It's just these ledges that are confounding me!
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Ohio
I'll be watching this thread for sure...I need to replace my lip as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I put resin just on the back of the wood support, and stuck it against the wall, then wedged a wood 2x2I cut to the right length between the support and the opposite wall.

After they dried, I pulled the 2x2 out, and glassed them in.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer:
Bondo makes a half-decent glue to hold wood in place before fiberglassing over it -as with all bonding work, thorough keying/sanding of existing fiberglass before trying to stick anything to it is essential, even if using epoxy.

And for keying, remember that while it looks like coarse sandpaper (say, 40 grit) keys well, it doesn't key much because it has so few points per square inch (actually, 40!). Finer paper like 80 grit actually cuts more little grooves in existing fiberglass and so makes for a better bond.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You could cut and finish your wood pieces to fit. hot melt glue them in place. after that sets fiber glass and resin them in place. You could also use automotive bondo to glue them in place and then do the fiberglass and resin to make them perminate.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

Maine
Thank you all for your suggestions! Thought I'd give an update. A couple of very resourceful and generous women helped me cut out two new ledges and we used a quick drying epoxy to glue these ledges to the side of the Scamp.

We pretty much sat there holding them until they were almost completely dry. At that point we put a couple of pieces of cordwood (it's stacking season here in Maine!) underneath to prop 'em up. From there it was fairly easy to tab the ledges in with fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp lip.jpg