Request For Ensolite "Scale of Good" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Request For Ensolite "Scale of Good"

Seems like Ensolite gets pulled down because it is "gross". This is relative to each person and how big and greasy their elbows are... Could anyone who has seen a spectrum of conditions post some pictures for us newbies? I think it might keep new owners from moving too fast.
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Seems like Ensolite gets pulled down because it is "gross". This is relative to each person and how big and greasy their elbows are... Could anyone who has seen a spectrum of conditions post some pictures for us newbies? I think it might keep new owners from moving too fast.
Actually, they usually post after they have "gutted" the trailer.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: SCAMP
Virginia
Registry
Ensolite

Here's a picture of mine... my trailer was used as an office, with plenty of shelving nailed through the shell. Now wherever a 2 x 4 was, the ensolite is squished flat. I'm not sure at the moment how I will handle this, but I will definitely keep it intact!
Attached Thumbnails
Optimized-IMG_6182.jpg  
Arvonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect Glenn is right. Postings tend to disappear into the dustbin of time fairly quickly. No matter how many times it gets discussed, most newbies don't come looking for information until the deed is done.

Asking now, ahead of time, puts you way ahead of the curve.

If you are wondering about what to do with yours, or whether it is salvageable, the best thing you could do is to post some pictures and a description of your issues. Then you'll likely hear what everyone else hears: clean it thoroughly, re-glue loose sections, fill seams and gaps with latex caulk, texture to match the rest with a damp sponge or rag, prime and paint with latex paint.

If you want to see what others have had to deal with and how it came out, a Google site search on "paint Ensolite" yields many threads with lots of information and occasional before and after pictures.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #5

Texas
Paint Ensolite definitely brought up a lot of pictures, though I am loath to paint as it is a one way path. I thought it would be nice to have a tread we could use as a starting point when deciding to keep/replace/paint/strip-paint
Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Texas
Steve, thank you for that picture... I am sorry, but it makes me more hopeful about saving mine as well (:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

Texas
surface is in great shape... I am worried about what is behind it
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0320.jpg   20150927_113944.jpg  

DSCF0318.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
It's easy to scrape away a portion to see if there are problems then reglue the material back on.
I'm VERY BIG on not painting the interior!!!!
Pick out the worst areas apply a good cleaning product ,stiff bristle brush it in and rinse,,,can you live with it?
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good point, Fred, and I should have made clear in my earlier post: the last two steps- prime and paint- would only be considered in a worst-case scenario. A good cleaning and a bit of re-glueing and touch-up is all that is needed in a lot of cases, including the OP's, judging by the pictures. It looks to be in pretty good shape overall. I'd give it a 5 or 6.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
As soon as the frost is out - likely in May - we'll be scrubbing, gluing, caulking, texturing and then painting our ensolite; as many have proposed on this forum. We're already 'gutted' - but it's minus 20 Celcius (minus 5 Farenheit) this week.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #11

Name: Chris
British Columbia
I am an advocate of "asking first" that way one is able to make an informed decision ;-) Personally what I did was to go to my nearby RV dealer and talk tot them - my ensolite was dirty, moldy, not attached in a few spots and the stripping to hide the seams was all wrinkled all of which made the interior look quite ugly.. With safety glasses and a face mask in place I used some Mold and Mildew remover got the worst of the ucky stuff off then it was a Spic-N-Span wash that brought the fabric right back to what was probably as close to its look when it was "new".. I then used contact cement to re-attach the portions that were hanging down, followed this up with installing new seam stripping that I got from the Trillium manufacturer in Florence, Arizona and Shazam it all looks wonderful.. I recommend the safety glasses and face mask because so much of the task of washing and cleaning is overhead and all the stuff can't be good for your eyes and lungs ;-)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Ohh.. I forgot to mention that the secret tool that I used was one of those plastic "medical" scrub brushes that Lee Valley sells to get all the undesirable "guck" out of the ensolite wrinkles.. It has just the correct amount of abrasion to do the job..
Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #13

Texas
that’s a good tip thanks... The texture is a pain
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Here is a link to my before and after photo's: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post174856

I have to admit, our ensolite originally looked to be in very rough shape.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I am getting to where I SORTOF like my 'gator-skin ensolite, though i am still pondering how to deal with the huge shrunk bubble places in the corners ETC. However, i would like to share my secret of cleaningit : a nail brush (those little rectangular brushes that have nice handles on the back; a toothbrush (those little rectangular brushes on a stick ; and a spray bottle of straight white vinegar. MIRACLE CLEANER! Yes I have to scrub every year (i don't have the luxury of a climate-controlled indoor work area aka a garage) but hey..........no chems
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #16

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
How do you get rid of the vinegar smell? LOL
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Chemical composition of vinegar:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.20.06 PM.png  
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
How do you get rid of the vinegar smell? LOL
Wipe it off with plain water rinsing out the sponge and rag fairly frequently and changing the rinse water now and again. Open the doors and windows. Every minute you are working there will be less and less vinegar smell but then again maybe your sense of smell is just getting burned out..
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #19

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I like ensolite

We have ensolite in our camper. PO painted it. It looks very good and my favorite part is that it can just be wiped off if it gets dirty.