Request for Information/Assistance - Wheel Bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thumbs up

Good morning fellow enthusiast,

This is my 1st post on this web site and I look forward to many exchanges regarding Fiberglass RV issues.

I am interested in adding built in grease nipples to facilitate the lube of the wheel bearings in conjunction with repacking of the wheel bearings. My question is twofold; how difficult is it to repack the bearings; and how difficult is it to add the nipple grease fittings?

Is this an action that can be conducted by a person who is semi mechanically inclined but by no means a pro?

I welcome any/all assistance and/or past experience; recommend part numbers, prior post dealing with this subject, etc…

Thanks for your time and for sharing your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Chuck Dirnsa
2006 17 SD
1999 Toyota 4X4 Tacoma V6 SR5 Extra-Cab

Chuck Dirnsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try this you tube info.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
As someone mentioned earlier the safety aspect of the semi-educational video is missing, (see above). Getting under a trailer supported by one hydraulic jack could prove Darwin’s theory in the working. One critical aspect of working around brakes is to not contaminate them with even minute amount of grease. Touching any frictional area (including electromagnetic lever area) with greasy fingers is what I would consider contamination and is shown on this clip. If grease gets on metal frictional areas the surface needs to be clean with brake cleaner. Any grease on frictional materials calls for its replacement.

Adding a nipple, you are probably thinking about Trailer Buddy or equivalent protectors. These protectors replace solid metal hub cap and are design to keep grease pressure within the hub bearing space to prevent water entry during wheels immersion in water. Their primary use is on boat trailers. Removing and putting new grease still requires full disassembly.

There is the system called EZ-lube by Dexter with nipples mounted on spindles. You need EZ-lube axles so if you don’t have them it would be expensive. EZ-lube allows grease replacement without bearing disassembly. During lubing grease moves from the grease nipple through the spindle to the large bearing and then back trough the bearings flashing old grease out. When you see new grease coming out you are done. You can diagnose the health of the bearing without disassembly by evaluating smoothness of hubs rotation and how contaminated is the flushed out old grease. I had this system on my boat trailer (3 axles) for 11 years and never had to disassemble the bearings.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Putting grease nipples on the dust covers isn't going to accomplish much -- Think about it -- You are essentially pumping the grease into a dead-end pipe, with the seal on the other end -- There might be some flow of new grease through the outer bearing, but unless the seal is leaking, there won't be flow through the inner bearing -- This is where Bearing Buddies fail when used on road trailers (They are intended to keep water from entering on boat trailers dunked at the ramp).

The Dexter EZLube & Al-Ko AG Hub ssystem pump grease down the center of the spindle, it emerges between the inner bearing and seal, comes back through both the inner and outer bearings and comes out next to the grease fitting.

EZLube drawing

AG Hub Animation
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote