Resealing a Roof Vent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "It's removal is fairly easy" would be a clue for me.

To not use something that is.

But I do know that Dicor is an excellent material for use on stickys, and we know that they need lots of it.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #16

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "It's removal is fairly easy" would be a clue for me.

To not use something that is.

But I do know that Dicor is an excellent material for use on stickys, and we know that they need lots of it.
Perhaps you should try removing silicone and you'll know why I wrote that. It's a sealant, not glue. I have Dicor on my roof that's 10 years old and it's perfectly fine, meaning it won't just come off. But if you try to remove it manually it will come off easily meaning you won't destroy your fiberglass or gel coat.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Dicor self leveling is pretty much "industry standard" and can repair many unforgiving situations. It does not last forever and will need to be done again in 3-5 years, depending on the environment.

As an alternative for a stubborn friend, I will suggest another product that has many pros, and one BIG con. EternaBond

Eternabond lives up to its name. It is a seal that will last longer than the rig. I have used it on many very difficult repairs, and if done correctly, you will never have to worry about whats under it again. I sealed the roof seams of a 32 foot motorhome that had been neglected for many years and the fix was instantanious. A virtual shower that occured along both seems into my over heads and walls simply stopped, just like that. There is no need to dig out old sealant, it goes right over it and levels itself into it, unless it is silicone (Eternabond does not stick to silicone) and much time and effort was saved on the process. I also, unfortunately, had to use it on my own roof vents, with a *twist, on my Leocraft. (More later on that)

The BIG con to it is: Once it's down, it's difficult, if not impossible to get off. Should he relent and finally want to get the vent out, and he uses this product, he will have a fight ahead of him. The manufacturer has a product to break the adhesion, I have never had to use it tho, so I can not comment on it's effectiveness. The second con is..it ain't pretty and should be used on top of the rig only, if cosmetics are a concern.

For the twist...instead of sealing the vents themselves, I added a maxxair vent cover to each and used the eternabond on the flanges of THOSE. The vents were sealed with dicor, and then the covers added with the eternabond..

If the vent covers ever crack, it'll be a *you know what* to get them off, but considering the permanency of the product, I opted for that gamble.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Perhaps you should try removing silicone and you'll know why I wrote that. It's a sealant, not glue. I have Dicor on my roof that's 10 years old and it's perfectly fine, meaning it won't just come off. But if you try to remove it manually it will come off easily meaning you won't destroy your fiberglass or gel coat.
I've probably resealed at least 20 Fiberglass RV's in the past few years and am well aware of silicones features. Either it peels off in a strip or you have to get out the single edge razorblade and a can of acetone. But it's the former feature that is it's downfall.

Just yesterday I peeled a 3 foot long strip of silicone sealer off of an RV roof in one piece. The other 3 feet or so were already missing, making it real easy to find the source of the water leak.

Products become "The standard of the industry" not because they are the best, but because they are the most cost effective to use and need only outlast the warranty period, usually 2 years or less.

In the case of a recently purchased Coleman sticky, factory sealant started lifting at the edges within the 1st 3 months, and it leaked at the first rain, which as everyone knows, we don't get much of here in SoCal.

My local dealer sez: Putty tape is best, but the labor cost to use is about 3-4 times using stuff in a tube.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If you're still around, O.P., I took the liberty of posting this question for you at another Forum I frequent. It's made up of a big cross section of folks using all kinds of RV's. Something I find both refreshing and illuminating betimes...

Answers comin' in already over there... Here's the link to that thread. Hope it helps!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Spray with FlexSeal?............LOL
Old 03-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #21

Name: Larry H
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Butyl Rubber

ACE Butyl Rubber caulk works great!

Larry H
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I have a question about Dicor self leveling caulk. Why self leveling? I have used self leveling caulking material on construction projects in the past and found that self leveling is exactly that. It will flow to the low end of the joint and spill out of the intended location. You could never use it on a sloping or vertical joint. "Gun grade" on the other hand could be used in any position, and tooled for architectural appearance.
Russ
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #23

California
I use Sikaflex 715 on Sticky roof vents and roof edges because it does flow out and gets into the usual gaps found on those seams. The non-self leveling just piles up on top and seems more prone to age-peeling

But I don't use it on windows or side walls, and never on FGRV's at all.