Resealing windows and other stuff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
Hi guys,
I thought that I would query you all on what to use to reseal my windows and use for 'hole plugging' around TV cable and other assorted things.

Also, any tips and tricks for doing the windows? Do I need to take out the interior ring or just pull the window from the outside? What do you use to get the window 'loose'? A razor blade?

This will be my first 'window pull' and I would reallly appreciate all of your input!

Thanks in advance,
Andrea in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm, got a number of views but no one is answer up. So, ole motor mouth will try to help.

If the window has a clamping ring on the inside, remove all the screws and put the ring/screws in a safe place.

Using a thin putty knife (or wire garrote) cut through the sealant between the window and the fiberglass (on the outside). It's possible the window is really stuck. Don't yank on the window, it's aluminum and you'll tweek it. Pull window out. Clean off all the silicone and/or butyl or other goo someone may have used on the window/trailer. Now is the time to inspect the window and do any extra cleanup of the frame or window parts. To reinstall, use Butyl tape (it's a gray putty that comes on a paper-backed roll...cheap too). Put a layer all the way around the window, evenly. Put window in. From the inside, install clamp ring and screws. Cinch down screws going around the window a bit at a time. Go outside and using plastic knife cut the butyl that's been squeezed out. Wait a full day, cinch clamping ring screws a bit more...remove excess butyl.

For vents, etc. see info here: Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: To quote my Fav. comedien Red Green "We're all in this together" and "I'am pulling for you" I have window issues also...water dribbling from the corners...so I am reading and looking over your shoulders...I need all the I can get!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
Quote:
For vents, etc. see info here: Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing

Great thread! Lots of useful info!! Thanks Donna
Andrea in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
I have window issues also...water dribbling from the corners...

Alf, Have you tried cleaning the weepholes with weedwhacker line, ala Pete Dumbleton?
His excellent suggestions saved us a lot of grief and now it is an annual task.

Vivian, who hates drippy windows.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows