Reviews of small water heaters? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Reviews of small water heaters?

Our 2.5 gallon GE water heater has rusted through on the bottom and must be replaced. Any suggestions? We had the GE for 6 years and it was in the trailer when we bought it in 2006, so it lasted a good while.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Our 2.5 gallon GE water heater has rusted through on the bottom and must be replaced. Any suggestions? We had the GE for 6 years and it was in the trailer when we bought it in 2006, so it lasted a good while.
What type of water heater is it? Propane? 120V electric? Both? And what are the physical dimensions and mounting configuration?

I am in the process of replacing the water heater in my EggCamper. The original unit was a used 6 gallon propane only Atwood that I removed from a motor home I was scrapping out. The aluminum tank corroded through but it was probably over 25 years old. I'm replacing it with a 6 gallon Suburban propane/120V unit to give me more flexibility. Of course it will require some fiberglass work since the through body port is a different size than the Atwood.

One suggestion. Shop around. The price quotes for the one I bought varied by over $200 for the same model number. The local rv dealers prices were the highest. Mail order is definitely the way to go.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I know this is not exactly what you asked but her you go.
My U-Haul CT13 does not have hot water or a shower. But I have been thinking about installing on of these on a welded mount to the tongue or the back bumper. I will have a shower out side and a T for directing the hot water in side as well. You could do the same and just plum it to the inside. The thing I like about it is it only heats the water when it's on so your not wasting propane keeping the water hot.
Portable Tankless Water Heater - 680099, Toiletries Shower at Sportsman's Guide
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Thanks for the comments. I should have mentioned that my water heater is 120 v. rather than propane. I have a wall switch for it, so we only turn it on when we will need the hot water (dishes, hair-washing, etc.). I was thinking about a tankless model, but they are quite a bit more expensive. The water heater is stored under the driver's side rear bench seat in the VT, with a drain hose through the rear floor for emptying when not in use.

The electric ones that I've found at local stores are all about 14" tall plus the relief valve. I'm looking to see if I can find a shorter model so that the relief valve doesn't come right up against the benchseat cover. There is a small hole in the seat cover for it to pop through, so it isn't squeezed, but it does move around a bit on really rough roads. I plan to anchor the new one in a better fashion with a catch pan underneath, too. I plan to stay with electric, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
hi look at Girard products, water heaters they are small and very nice
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote