Ridiculous question about screen tents... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #15

Name: Harold
Trailer: Prowler
Michigan
Tent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
There may not be the right screen tent out there for me but......I am newly disabled (spinal issues, severe osteoarthritis, 2 new knee replacements, an ankle reconstruction, and now planning both hand reconstruction surgeries (which will require casts for 3 months and limited mobility for a year.)

My disability (SSDI) is not enough to cover apartment living, so I am planning to full-time with my cat in a used Little Guy teardrop, rather than be traditionally homeless.

Is there any screen tent for 1 person/cat that is easy to put up? I won't attempt it till my casts are off obviously, but I won't ever have "normal hands" so need advice.

Thanks for your input......
You may want to check out the Clamshell brand of screen tent. They are relatively easy to put up.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
At a recent rally of about 50 FGs in Door County, WI the CLAM was the overwhelming favorite especially the mid size, brown not green, with optional siding panels purchased on Amazon. The literature says it can be set up in 45 seconds by one person. Yesterday I took mine out of its box for the first time and set it up by myself in 10 minutes. (It will be significantly quicker the next time.) I took it down in about one minute and put it back in its carrying case by myself. Weight: 34 lbs. Green apparently does not reflect the heat as well as the brown. You Tube has demonstrations.
The green doesn't have a lighter-colored top the way the brown does. There is also a BIG one at Cabella's in gray...with extra features (still a CLAM, though).

I'm terribly sorry to hear about all your issues; wish you very well, admire your courage and strength and hope you find many friends along your way.

We just bought a little 8 x 8 "Z Shade" canopy, 26 pounds, from K-Mart (in blue) for $42.99, but it's NOT a screen room. It WAS pretty easy for Paul to put up by himself, but he manages to do things I cannot, so I'm not sure it's that easy. But the CLAM is easier--however, about ten times the price.

Were I in your situation, A. I'd bite the bullet and get myself a 13' used Scamp, Boler, or Trillium, and a CLAM shelter. I'd also check on how much it'd cost to full-time in a nice trailer park of some kind, rather than being on the road constantly. Travel may seem cheaper, but you know it still costs, gas costs, laundry is an issue, long rainy days and nights can be very trying...

wishing you all the best.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
... the CLAM ... I took it down in about one minute and put it back in its carrying case by myself.
Thanks to Mikmay's son (Bryce?).
He suggested we try using the thin foam coolies for soda or beer cans over the hubs when packing up. We tried it and it worked great. Sure beats trying to keep the bubble wrap and elastics around.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Thanks! This looks really nice.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13
Missouri
Just an FYI -

Be careful about at least some of the CLAM knock-off units.

I think it was a gray one from Menards that looked similar but had no option for attaching wind/privacy panels.

I have and have used those panels on both the large and small CLAM.

I think that the larger brown & tan/cream genuine CLAM is around or just over $250 (without privacy panels) on Amazon (and other sources?).

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

Nevada
Thanks for your insight. The Clam seems like it could help me a lot, especially if I can't afford a Scamp, and end up with a Little Guy.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #21

Nevada
I would be towing with a Subaru Outback, larger 3.6 engine
Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Please rethink the little guy. Think of the days your not feeling well. When your pain levels are up and or your sick you will be living in a torture chamber. This will make you seek better accomidations. 10 days in a motel will kill your budget. I feel for what your going through especially since you have spent your productive life helping others. I truly hope the best for you.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We have a Scamp13 and both the smaller 4-sided and larger 6-sided CLAM screen rooms.

As trailers go, I think that the Scamp13 is fairly easy to deal with. Tows well; easy to push around on the driveway or into a tight campsite in a state park. Unless you have a taller tow vehicle (or an air deflector?), you will need to drive a little slower (55 - 60 mph) to even come close to the fuel efficiency of pulling a teardrop. When the rear dinette/bed remains in the bed configuration, we can sit on the front sofa and read, put on shoes/clothes, eat (on a small TV-tray-like table), etc. For full-timing, I can't imagine not being able to stand up inside my trailer on a rainy day.

The CLAM screen tents are pretty easy to deal with too. For longer stays in one place (like maybe a week+?), the brown & tan 6-sided unit would likely be best. it can travel in the trailer on a protective pad on the front sofa (or ??). For 10lbs less weight, less bag length, shorter (1-2 day) stays and/or smaller camp sites, the 4-sided "Traveler" unit works out fine.

Sorry about your situation!

Good luck with your voices and decisions! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Ray, you say you have both sizes. I want to ask, do you feel there's a significant difference in ease of use between the two? I'm guessing the 4 sided would be notably easier to set up and take down, but why guess when you'd know for sure!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13
Missouri
Ridiculous question about screen tents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Ray, you say you have both sizes. I want to ask, do you feel there's a significant difference in ease of use between the two? I'm guessing the 4 sided would be notably easier to set up and take down, but why guess when you'd know for sure!

Mike (& all) -

Some of the ease of use things are pretty intuitive, but there were just a couple of surprises.

The carry bag on the Traveler is tighter and does not have a lot of extra room for privacy panels,
stakes, plastic stake hammer, etc. The carry bag on the older green unit is/was much more generous, which made it easier to get out and especially to pack up at take-down time.

When popping the top of the Traveler up past that over-center point, I often have to step on
one of the bottom side skirts. Otherwise, it is just so light that the whole thing simply lifts up into
the air and the top doesn't go over-center into the up position. There is just enough more mass
in the larger unit that a quick thrust upwards puts the top up.

When traveling, the smaller Traveler unit can lay front-to-back in our SUV with one (or both) sections of the rear seat folded down. It can also lay front-to-back under the bed/dinette in the
Scamp13 or lay on a protective (dirt, etc.) pad on the bottom part of the sofa and still leave a little more room to sit on the front edge of the sofa to put on shoes, etc.
The larger CLAM has to lay diagonally in the SUV (with both sections of the rear seat folded down) or else on a protective pad on the lower sofa cushion of the Scamp.

The brown & cream units made some nice privacy panel enhancements. Built into the privacy
panel is a screen area that can be exposed by unsticking some Velcro and rolling the nylon flap up. That allows for a little bit of light and ventilation when the panel is in place. Also, the Traveler has a top flap on the unit itself that comes down over the top edge of the privacy panel and Velcro's to it to prevent rain from running down in between the privacy panels and the screening below. I believe that all of the privacy panels (in each color) are the same size and interchangeable.

Obviously, the larger unit will cover a picnic table and is roomy enough for 4 to 6 people. The smaller unit is only good for 2 people or maybe 4? Each would provide sun/rain protection for shading ice chests and/or keeping towel drying racks out of the rain.

The smaller Traveler is cheaper, about 10 pounds lighter, and the bagged unit is maybe a foot shorter?

I hope that helps some. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #25

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
I would be towing with a Subaru Outback, larger 3.6 engine
There are alternatives besides Scamps and Little Guy that are great for towing with a Subaru Outack. Those are the pop tops. You get the advantage of low height for towing and standing head room when you want it. They are not hard on your hands or back to raise and lower, certainly easier to put up and down than a tent shelter and you can do it in a matter of seconds. If a storm comes up you will not be outside scrambling in wind and rain to put away a shelter. You will just reach up and pull down the top then secure the clamps. Think about how great that would be in the middle of the night.

While there are not a ton of the older pop tops around many of the ones available have already been updated and therefore can be very reliable.

So decent gas savings since they are not overly tall, standing head room, affordable cost. Easy on your back, plenty of space for sitting and sleeping, place to cook, room for the toilet. Lots of windows for seeing outside, good ventilation, electricity, running water with sink, refrigeration. Potential for AC if not already installed. Some of them are better insulated than others but you can keep your eyes out for one that has had additional insulation added as part of the updating of the interior.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Just an FYI -

Be careful about at least some of the CLAM knock-off units.

I think it was a gray one from Menards that looked similar but had no option for attaching wind/privacy panels.

I have and have used those panels on both the large and small CLAM.

I think that the larger brown & tan/cream genuine CLAM is around or just over $250 (without privacy panels) on Amazon (and other sources?).

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Agree about watching out for the knock-offs; the gray one from Cabella's IS a true CLAM, the clam rep told me so himself.
It's also about $100 more than the green and brown/tan ones, but it has more features. YES, it has the wind/privacy panels.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
No question on the FGRV forum is "ridiculous". Thank you for coming here to ask your question and thank you for your service as a nurse. I believe nurses are angels on earth!

While you have received some excellent suggestions for screen tents and other ways of living, I'm wondering how you will cope altogether with such extensive disabilities.

A social comment: It is an abomination in our country that we allow people to become "homeless" because of medical issues beyond their control.

By chance, the following link appeared at the bottom of the page where you posted your question. I know it requires money to have the kind of camper these women have, but I think the point of the article is, "Where there is a will, there is a way". An Illness Doesn't Have to End Your Dream of Full-Timing

As a former nurse you probably know of resources in your community to help people in need. Now is the time for you to seek their assistance. Maybe it will come in the form of housing assistance (home-share with a senior, for instance), free food bank, free clothing. When you tell your story to others, you may be surprised at the good things that will come your way!

I certainly wish you all the best. My hunch is that your tenacity and resourcefulness will help you go far. Please stay in touch with us all.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #28

Nevada
I'm not aware of any pop up I can pull. I looked, but they were going to be too heavy and I have a tongue weight limit of 200 with my Subaru. I can do another search though.