Ridiculous question about screen tents... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #29

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
You could probably have a pop top altered with a crank up Assy without too much hassle. Or springs, levered to assist.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #30

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My comment on pop-ups ... I've known many people who've given up on this type of camper as it really is too much hassle. You still need to put it up and take it down. I've watched other campers deal with pop-ups and I do NOT envy them. I appreciate my Scamp. Drive it in, set down the "legs" and you're good to go!

The following is a thread that has been going on for some time. I thought you might be interested in hearing comments about full-timing or not. Believe me, I have not ignored the fact that you will be on SSI. Change of heart on fulltiming

In reality, with the Scamp, it does take strength and effort to hitch and un-hitch the trailer. I do wish the "leg" (I don't know the proper name) on the tongue did not require so many rotations of the handle. The handle almost hits the side of our propane tank. Perhaps if we only had one tank this would not be an issue. Some people say they replace the "leg handle" so it swings away.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #31

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
I was referring to pop top campers like the compact etc. I didn't know you were talking pop up campers.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #32

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
In my head, a "pop-up" is a Tent Trailer ( essentially a tent on a trailer ).
And while I'm at it, a "camper" sits in the bed of a pickup truck.
And, you tow a trailer ( or fifth wheel ).
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
I think KC, who first mentioned "pop-tops," was talking about the molded fiberglass trailers with lift-up roof sections- Hunter Compact and Trailswest Campster- not tent trailers.

They do tend to be a bit lighter, lower profile, and less expensive that a Scamp-type trailer of similar condition and vintage. However, they haven't been made since the 70's, and I sense the OP is looking for something newer.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #34

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think KC, who first mentioned "pop-tops," was talking about the molded fiberglass trailers with lift-up roof sections- Hunter Compact and Trailswest Campster- not tent trailers.

They do tend to be a bit lighter, lower profile, and less expensive that a Scamp-type trailer of similar condition and vintage. However, they haven't been made since the 70's, and I sense the OP is looking for something newer.
They get redone with new interiors and new frames and axles too as well as updated cabinets. No reason not to get one that has been fixed up versus buying something made more recently if the style of the trailer solves both the physical human ergonomic needs and financial budget issues for the buyer.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #35

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Lynn - There are websites like "gofundme" that allow people to ask for donations to help get thru difficult times. As a former nurse, you deserve some repayment from lots of people - myself included. You might be surprised by the response, and it could help you get established in a comfortable life - which you deserve.

It bothers me greatly that someone that gave so much should now want for basic support. Please try the gofundme route and post a link so those of us that have had the life-saving care of a good nurse can make a repayment. Do it as a favor to others. Whatever happens next, I wish you the very best.

Jan
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #36

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Good news, I hope !

A nurse that I worked with 15 yrs ago, and occasionally speak to, has offered me and my cat, a spare room to live in until I get things figured out. She has another year of school, so has graciously made me the offer. I now will get at least one hand surgery done, if not both. I will leave my possessions here in storage and live light in Denver.
I still will be asking questions, and appreciate everyone's advice. But at least the pressure is off a little.

Next question: do you use/recommend a campground book and a boondocking reference book to help plan your direction. I don't expect to have good internet with my phone. And I expect having a wifi signal in a Little Guy or Scamp would be too expensive for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 AM   #37

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Many CGs have free wifi.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Often places like McDonalds have WiFi for the nominal cost of a cup of coffee or other purchase.

We camp at state and county parks. They typically do not have WiFi. National parks and forest campgrounds, same.

Private campgrounds would be more likely to offer it as an amenity, but the cost is higher, except possibly if you find a place with monthly rates. Some RV parks with monthly rates are not intended for "camping"- they are meant for larger, self-contained units. Some have minimum size and maximum age restrictions on the RV.

In any case, public networks lack security for doing lots of common internet tasks, like accessing bank accounts and paying bills.

There have been some good discussions about various ways to access internet in the "Full-timing" section of the forum.

I'm so glad you found a place to stay during your surgeries. After I made a vocational decision three years ago in a direction that does not provide employer-based health insurance, I became aware of how complex and deeply flawed is our health insurance system. Despite countless hours of lost productivity attempting to navigate the private health insurance market, I still find myself blind-sided by unexpected expenses and fighting to get insurance companies to honor their contracts. A simple well check for our daughters has dragged on for nine months! I have become acutely aware of how fragile is both our health and our financial security. The coup de grace was when our daughters' pediatrician shared that she herself has the same struggle! She is leaving private practice in our rural area and joining a large urban medical group because of her own health insurance needs.

All that to say there is no shame in reaching out for help. Many are caught in the same broken system.

Best wishes for your surgery, a speedy recovery, and your next step, whatever that ends up looking like.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #39

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
A nurse that I worked with 15 yrs ago, and occasionally speak to, has offered me and my cat, a spare room to live in until I get things figured out. She has another year of school, so has graciously made me the offer. I now will get at least one hand surgery done, if not both. I will leave my possessions here in storage and live light in Denver.
I still will be asking questions, and appreciate everyone's advice. But at least the pressure is off a little.

Next question: do you use/recommend a campground book and a boondocking reference book to help plan your direction. I don't expect to have good internet with my phone. And I expect having a wifi signal in a Little Guy or Scamp would be too expensive for me.
That's good news! It's always nice to have the oresssure off of big decisions like this! In Denver, there is a very nice teardrop sized trailer being made NEW in the same price as used little guys and scamps....you might call and talk to Hiker trailers and see what they can do for you used.

Traveling, I "rent" wifi with a drink at a mcdonslds, a Starbucks, etc.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #40

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Lynn, thank you for dedicating you life to caring for others. It's unfair that you are now in this position, but you seem to be handling it well. If you find yourself in Denver, look me up. I'd be happy to have you over for lunch and laundry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #41

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Smile

Lynn, you are so optimistic-how are you typing??? I also am on SSDI, married and we own home with savings. I have heard so many horror stories of people losing everything in the blink of an eye. If you want to travel-your best bet is to wait until your year is up with your friend, meanwhile looking for a part time position as a sitter for small animals, homes, babies or even elder companion. Many people have no grandmothers, aunts or older family members nearby, or even at all, and can offer a room to you. I do not know if you have family, but @ 63, we are getting rid of possessions-one son 2 grand daughters one nephew and 2 nieces. They do not want stuff! Perhaps you can also get Medicaid; look into Habitat for Humanity. I have Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, pan hypopituitarism (with extreme secondary Addison's) interstitial cystitis and other loose nuts and bolts due to 40 yrs on Prednisone(impaired immune system!) and stuff. 30 Rxs cost quite a bit.. Without my DH , I could not make it. Do you attend any church, synagogue or other house of worship? Often they can help with part time positions-homes for children et cet.. Wishing you the best-there are solutions out there. I think you need a new van conversion for one lady and one kitty. I do not know how, but God works wonders . Cheers!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #42

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
PLEASE be careful about passwords, banking....critical personal information being sent out when you're on a "public" WIFI like McDonalds!!! You're flirting with virtual disaster. "Ransomware" has become very prevalent and you do NOT want to be a victim of that... I'm "IT" here and have attended many seminars and training on these subjects of "Cyber Security". You canNOT be careful enough.

Keep your system backed up....several days/weeks.... another story..