Ridiculous question about screen tents... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #41

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Smile

Lynn, you are so optimistic-how are you typing??? I also am on SSDI, married and we own home with savings. I have heard so many horror stories of people losing everything in the blink of an eye. If you want to travel-your best bet is to wait until your year is up with your friend, meanwhile looking for a part time position as a sitter for small animals, homes, babies or even elder companion. Many people have no grandmothers, aunts or older family members nearby, or even at all, and can offer a room to you. I do not know if you have family, but @ 63, we are getting rid of possessions-one son 2 grand daughters one nephew and 2 nieces. They do not want stuff! Perhaps you can also get Medicaid; look into Habitat for Humanity. I have Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, pan hypopituitarism (with extreme secondary Addison's) interstitial cystitis and other loose nuts and bolts due to 40 yrs on Prednisone(impaired immune system!) and stuff. 30 Rxs cost quite a bit.. Without my DH , I could not make it. Do you attend any church, synagogue or other house of worship? Often they can help with part time positions-homes for children et cet.. Wishing you the best-there are solutions out there. I think you need a new van conversion for one lady and one kitty. I do not know how, but God works wonders . Cheers!
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
PLEASE be careful about passwords, banking....critical personal information being sent out when you're on a "public" WIFI like McDonalds!!! You're flirting with virtual disaster. "Ransomware" has become very prevalent and you do NOT want to be a victim of that... I'm "IT" here and have attended many seminars and training on these subjects of "Cyber Security". You canNOT be careful enough.

Keep your system backed up....several days/weeks.... another story..
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #43

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We've camped in a number of different ways, Lynn,
the tent-trailer (crank style) was a kind of nightmare.

The camper was just a small shell, totally minimal. No good.

The Aloha trailer was very nice, but we ran out of funds and sold it.

Our Amerigo is a lot like the Aloha, hitching and unhitching, towing, packing for balance, etc...the usual

The easiest was the conversion van, a 1-ton Chevy van with a fiberglass top so you could walk around upright, a tiny stove, sink, furnace, and 3-way fridge...we modified the table area/bed area to make a smaller permanent bed and a tiny sitting area with a little folding table between one seat on each side of the van.
You'd just pull in and park, and voila. If you felt it wasn't level, you could keep backing and edging until you found a good position. It was pretty darn easy.

Maybe a van would do you better than towing something.

And LOTS of good advice about taking this slow and seeking further assistance right where you are...LOTS of really GOOD advice.

Wishing you all the very BEST.

l
Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #44

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
I would like a Scamp 13, but I have extreme anxiety about towing after reading all the stories about hills and brakes and fishtailing. I thought a Little Guy would be easier on me, and hopefully less bending and leveling, for my spine. And definitely easier than living in a tent. But I'll keep an open mind.
You can add a sway bar if you wish, also trailer brakes really help.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #45

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Lynn, I recently got a used Scamp 13' and it is SO easy to tow. I got it for 4K, and it's a very basic 2003--so the deals are out there. It does have brakes. It came with a sway bar too, but I haven't felt any need to use it.

The biggest problem is that I'm afraid I will forget I'm towing it! And I'm only using a CRV as the TV.

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote