Ridiculous question about screen tents... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Ridiculous question about screen tents...

There may not be the right screen tent out there for me but......I am newly disabled (spinal issues, severe osteoarthritis, 2 new knee replacements, an ankle reconstruction, and now planning both hand reconstruction surgeries (which will require casts for 3 months and limited mobility for a year.)

My disability (SSDI) is not enough to cover apartment living, so I am planning to full-time with my cat in a used Little Guy teardrop, rather than be traditionally homeless.

Is there any screen tent for 1 person/cat that is easy to put up? I won't attempt it till my casts are off obviously, but I won't ever have "normal hands" so need advice.

Thanks for your input......
Old 07-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
You should sell the teardrop and apply the funds to a 13ft fiberglass camper. Esp if you plan on living in it full time. It's the bare minimum I'd say.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
1 person and a cat - I'd look at the 4 sided Clam especially in a teardrop.
Series: Quickset
4 Sided: Quick-Set Traveler Outdoor Gazebo

Here's a video of setting up a 6 sided
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Probably not the best one for you Lynn, but we use a 12 X 12 Eureka Northern Breeze. Supposedly can be set up by one person, but much easier with two. We started using it with our teardrop for extra space. Still use it with our 13 and 17 foot trailers. What we like about it is it has flaps to close it in like a tent or they can be extended out like an awning. We use it as our living room / dining room. Put campground picnic table in it, couple chairs, small fridge, electric heater, and a TV. If you're going to be in one place for a period of time you can find another person in the campground to help you. One time we actually put the screen room over the teardrop.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another thought, have you looked into what it will cost to live in a campground. Sounds like you won't be able to work as a camp host. Maybe in the office though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Nevada
I would like a Scamp 13, but I have extreme anxiety about towing after reading all the stories about hills and brakes and fishtailing. I thought a Little Guy would be easier on me, and hopefully less bending and leveling, for my spine. And definitely easier than living in a tent. But I'll keep an open mind.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Not sure on real weights of any of these but I know the Compact I just got isn't a lot . Can't imagine it causing someone towing problems.
I also wonder how much real comfort a teardrop could offer you. I've wondered myself what it would be like to be in mine for a year or more. With injuries you may wanna make it easier to start.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I couldn't imagine living full-time in anything I couldn't stand up in. Laying down to get dressed.... I gave that up when I moved beyond a pup tent.

I wish you well, truly. Perhaps Bruce's idea would work well for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
1 person and a cat - I'd look at the 4 sided Clam especially in a teardrop.
Series: Quickset
4 Sided: Quick-Set Traveler Outdoor Gazebo
I agree that you should look at this one. It's probably the easiest to put up and take down, and yet durable, that I know of. Hopefully at 21 lbs it isn't too much for you. Often a fellow camper will be happy to help out if asked, when it comes time to put it up or take it down... campers tend to be very friendly with other campers.

A teardrop is too short to stand up in, so wouldn't it be difficult to dress and undress in there? I think I would get a sore back from coping with the low ceiling, and I don't have back problems.

A 13' egg (Scamp or Casita or similar) will tow very straight and easy. They behave really well. Leveling is not usually difficult, not that you need the trailer perfectly level... although occasionally one hits a campsite that is unusually un-level, I suppose. The thing is, with an egg trailer you can do just about everything you need to do inside the trailer if you want or must (think of a heavy downpour day); you can stand, sit, lie down, cook, use a porta-potti or toilet and perhaps take a shower (depending on how it's equipped). A teardrop interior won't let you do half of that.

What will you be towing with?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Good idea to have something very easy to deploy as you will have to take it down frequently.

The problem with your Little Guy is you will be constantly bending and that is really going to take a daily toll on your spine.

Have you considered getting a van? No towing required, the high top ones are easy to move around in. Your physical comfort should come first as you will have to cope with all kinds of situations. You might find this woman's life as an RV nomadic on a very low income with a disability to be inspiring. She has gotten a lot of help with setting herself up to live more comfortably from new friends made on the road.

I wish all the best for you and a speedy recovery from the hand surgeries.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:41 AM   #11

Nevada
I agree. It's not by choice. I was a tent camper, and when I went to a Marmot 6 person, where I could stand up, it was like a dream. But I'm not able to put it up anymore. After a 30 year career as an ICU RN, I became disabled and lost house/ bankruptcy etc. So I'm trying to move forward. If I can find a used Little Guy, I'm hoping to afford that. I'm having both hands reconstructed next month and will be casted for awhile, so I'm seeking advice now, before I'm more immobile.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I would look into the smaller Clam screen room. It will fit into a smaller camper or tow. It will be lighter and easier to handle given your disabilities. Also they need to be staked down for resistance to wind, are you able to pound in the stakes. Something you have to ask yourself. Good Luck , Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Ridiculous question about screen tents...

We have a Scamp13 and both the smaller 4-sided and larger 6-sided CLAM screen rooms.

As trailers go, I think that the Scamp13 is fairly easy to deal with. Tows well; easy to push around on the driveway or into a tight campsite in a state park. Unless you have a taller tow vehicle (or an air deflector?), you will need to drive a little slower (55 - 60 mph) to even come close to the fuel efficiency of pulling a teardrop. When the rear dinette/bed remains in the bed configuration, we can sit on the front sofa and read, put on shoes/clothes, eat (on a small TV-tray-like table), etc. For full-timing, I can't imagine not being able to stand up inside my trailer on a rainy day.

The CLAM screen tents are pretty easy to deal with too. For longer stays in one place (like maybe a week+?), the brown & tan 6-sided unit would likely be best. it can travel in the trailer on a protective pad on the front sofa (or ??). For 10lbs less weight, less bag length, shorter (1-2 day) stays and/or smaller camp sites, the 4-sided "Traveler" unit works out fine.

Sorry about your situation!

Good luck with your voices and decisions! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
At a recent rally of about 50 FGs in Door County, WI the CLAM was the overwhelming favorite especially the mid size, brown not green, with optional siding panels purchased on Amazon. The literature says it can be set up in 45 seconds by one person. Yesterday I took mine out of its box for the first time and set it up by myself in 10 minutes. (It will be significantly quicker the next time.) I took it down in about one minute and put it back in its carrying case by myself. Weight: 34 lbs. Green apparently does not reflect the heat as well as the brown. You Tube has demonstrations.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Name: Harold
Trailer: Starcraft
Michigan
Tent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
There may not be the right screen tent out there for me but......I am newly disabled (spinal issues, severe osteoarthritis, 2 new knee replacements, an ankle reconstruction, and now planning both hand reconstruction surgeries (which will require casts for 3 months and limited mobility for a year.)

My disability (SSDI) is not enough to cover apartment living, so I am planning to full-time with my cat in a used Little Guy teardrop, rather than be traditionally homeless.

Is there any screen tent for 1 person/cat that is easy to put up? I won't attempt it till my casts are off obviously, but I won't ever have "normal hands" so need advice.

Thanks for your input......
You may want to check out the Clamshell brand of screen tent. They are relatively easy to put up.
captfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
At a recent rally of about 50 FGs in Door County, WI the CLAM was the overwhelming favorite especially the mid size, brown not green, with optional siding panels purchased on Amazon. The literature says it can be set up in 45 seconds by one person. Yesterday I took mine out of its box for the first time and set it up by myself in 10 minutes. (It will be significantly quicker the next time.) I took it down in about one minute and put it back in its carrying case by myself. Weight: 34 lbs. Green apparently does not reflect the heat as well as the brown. You Tube has demonstrations.
The green doesn't have a lighter-colored top the way the brown does. There is also a BIG one at Cabella's in gray...with extra features (still a CLAM, though).

I'm terribly sorry to hear about all your issues; wish you very well, admire your courage and strength and hope you find many friends along your way.

We just bought a little 8 x 8 "Z Shade" canopy, 26 pounds, from K-Mart (in blue) for $42.99, but it's NOT a screen room. It WAS pretty easy for Paul to put up by himself, but he manages to do things I cannot, so I'm not sure it's that easy. But the CLAM is easier--however, about ten times the price.

Were I in your situation, A. I'd bite the bullet and get myself a 13' used Scamp, Boler, or Trillium, and a CLAM shelter. I'd also check on how much it'd cost to full-time in a nice trailer park of some kind, rather than being on the road constantly. Travel may seem cheaper, but you know it still costs, gas costs, laundry is an issue, long rainy days and nights can be very trying...

wishing you all the best.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
... the CLAM ... I took it down in about one minute and put it back in its carrying case by myself.
Thanks to Mikmay's son (Bryce?).
He suggested we try using the thin foam coolies for soda or beer cans over the hubs when packing up. We tried it and it worked great. Sure beats trying to keep the bubble wrap and elastics around.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #18

Nevada
Thanks! This looks really nice.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Just an FYI -

Be careful about at least some of the CLAM knock-off units.

I think it was a gray one from Menards that looked similar but had no option for attaching wind/privacy panels.

I have and have used those panels on both the large and small CLAM.

I think that the larger brown & tan/cream genuine CLAM is around or just over $250 (without privacy panels) on Amazon (and other sources?).

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #20

Nevada
Thanks for your insight. The Clam seems like it could help me a lot, especially if I can't afford a Scamp, and end up with a Little Guy.