Right tail light not working. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #21

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Napa Auto Parts has the correct part with the knobs for the lights:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264437188.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	45384

Here it is with the item SOCKET ECH LS6251 on the receipt.

I don't see why the use a double filament either only one lights up. May be to keep it simple for the techs who change the bulbs.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #22

California
In looking into the wiring problem on my Subaru, I found the 4pin goes back to a connector in the trunk that has 6 pins coming into it !

Unfortunately I couldn't find a burnt out fuse. When I take it in tomorrow to get the 4 pin checked I'll see if I can get a 5, 6 or 7 pin connector attached!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #23

California
Checking out the wiring:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1987455562.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	45385

Brown => White (Running)
White => Green (Ground)
Yellow => Black (Left Turn)
Green => Black (Right Turn)

Then two triplets are wired into the trailer.

Yuck.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Checking out the wiring:

Attachment 45385

Brown => White (Running)
White => Green (Ground)
Yellow => Black (Left Turn)
Green => Black (Right Turn)

Then two triplets are wired into the trailer.

Yuck.
My sympathies. I put a plastic box on mine just in front of the propane tank and ran all the wires in there to make good soldered connections. It also houses the electronic converter that allows me to use the amber turn signals. Makes things a little tidier.

You can match any UHaul wire color to the standard harness plug wires as long as you are consistent and plug them in correctly in back. The one exception is that the running lights in back need to match the wiring color for the clearance lights.

Also mine had bad grounds where the wiring enters the trailer about midway back (under the sink). There is a ground on each side, to the frame, that was all corroded and rusty.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those big blue connectors should not be used outside the body of the trailer, better yet not used at all. The other butt connectors should be the ones that shrink to the wire when heated, and I have some that have solder built in them that melts when heated for a good connection. Uhauls are kind of odd in that each side is wired separately, that is, one of those black cords feeds the left tail lights and some of the marker lights that are tapped in below the sink, and the other cord feeds the right tail lights and the rest of the markers that tap in just to the rear of the furnace. I rewired ours with the flat four wire harness. Ran it along the outside of the tongue, up through the floor near the furnace where the original wire went in, back to the right lights and connected the right wiring for the markers there. Then across the rear inside over to the left lights, and then on to the marker wiring below the sink. Eliminated all that old frayed cracked original wiring. I didn't try to feed the new wiring through the tongue, because it could wiggle around in there and eventually wear through and short out. The less connections out in the weather, the better. Here in the Northeast, wiring on tractor trailers was impossible to make a permanent fix, no matter what we did salt would eventually work in and cause corrosion. I'm sure lights and wiring was what we spent most of our time on. I'm retired from that work over a year and a half now, and don't miss it at all. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #26

California
Done!

After a couple confusing days and a lot of help from Bob and Thomas Mouse now has a full set of working lights!

I finally stopped trying to understand and use the current wiring and re-wired the tow lights completely. And after a few intermediate interesting results Mouse is ready to tow again - yea!

Thank you for all your help Bob and Thomas, I couldn't have done it without you!

(I would post a picture, but it still looks like spaghetti.)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #27

Congratulations and good job, Brooke.

I'm curious what you ended up doing with the amber lights.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #28

California
I wired Green and Yellow to the Amber lights and and Brown to the Red lights and the roof signal lights.

Now both Amber and Red flash for a turn. Red is solid braking and when my lights are on. When I am braking and turning Amber flashes and Red is solid. And the signal lights only work when the lights are on.

It seems like a good plan.

I ordered the converter you suggested. I'll have to see if it changes my wiring plan.

I attached the wire under the trailer and brought it in through the grommet that took the wiring out to the license plate and no longer have a light above my license plate.

I removed my water tank to do the project.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I wired Green and Yellow to the Amber lights and and Brown to the Red lights and the roof signal lights.

Now both Amber and Red flash for a turn. Red is solid braking and when my lights are on. When I am braking and turning Amber flashes and Red is solid. And the signal lights only work when the lights are on.

Thanks, but I'm slightly confused. The bottom (red) bulb has two filaments. A dim one for running lights and a bright one for brake lights.

Did you connect the brown wire to the dim filament or the bright filament?

It kind of sounds like you did what Bob did and wired the red brake filament and the amber turn filament together.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #30

California
I did not wire them together.

The Red light uses both filaments and the Amber only one.

I wired G/Y and return to Amber then Brown and return to Red. Choosing which of the light bulb wires to go to return made the G/Y signal from the Amber affect the Red light, confusing but it works.

I tried wiring everything to Red but then the signal lights at the top of Mouse blinked with the turn signals - very weird.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This doesn't sound right ?? Are you calling the white/ground wire "return" ? The ground wire goes to the bulb socket, or housing, not to a wire that contacts the points on the bottom of the bulb. On my Uhaul, the tail light ground is a white wire that is attached at the top bulb socket. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote