right trailer, right tow veh. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: michael
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Cool right trailer, right tow veh.

i have a 2013 nissan rouge, 4 cyl. cai sucessfully pull scamp? the gvwr of the rouge is listed ar 2400lbs. tomuch advice from folks around here. bye t he bye iflunk math in hs and barley made in college. thank mike daeumer
mike daeumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The 2400lb GVWR is not your cars tow rating its actually the max weight of the car loaded.

"The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers."

You need to look in the owners manual and check what its Tow rating is. A quick Google on the internet suggest that the tow capacity of the 2013 Nissan Rouge various from model to model and could be as low as 1000lbs on some models and 1500lbs on other models.

Once you know your cars actual tow rating, take a look at the thread to sTrailer Weights in the Real World ee what the trailers here weigh when loaded up for camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike daeumer View Post
i have a 2013 nissan rouge, 4 cyl. cai sucessfully pull scamp? the gvwr of the rouge is listed ar 2400lbs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The 2400lb GVWR is not your cars tow rating its actually the max weight of the car loaded...
The curb weight of a Rogue- that's the weight of the empty vehicle with a full tank of gas but no people or cargo- is about 3300-3500 pounds depending on configuration, so the GVWR could not possibly be 2400 pounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
i have a 2013 nissan rouge, 4 cyl. cai sucessfully pull scamp? ...
Without getting too technical, the answer is...

NO.

This answer also applies to your other posting and requires no math.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The curb weight of a Rogue- that's the weight of the empty vehicle with a full tank of gas but no people or cargo- is about 3300-3500 pounds depending on configuration, so the GVWR could not possibly be 2400 pounds.
LOL probable very true.

I was simple pointing out that GVWR is the "vehicles" max weight not its tow capacity rating.

The OP needs to check their actual numbers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A Scamp 13' loaded for camping tends to weigh between 1400 and 2000 lbs. Probably you shouldn't, or at least not without a custom hitch receiver and extra transmission cooling and trailer brakes. Even then, you might have difficulties. Yes, you have enough power to tow, especially in the flatlands of Florida, but there's much more to it than that. Can the drive train stand the strain? Can the rear suspension take the weight of the hitch and all your other vehicle contents? Can you stop safely? And so on.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have you considered an all-molded teardrop? MyPod Max - Teardrop Camper/Trailer - Little Guy
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I was simple pointing out that GVWR is the "vehicles" max weight not its tow capacity rating.

The OP needs to check their actual numbers.
The number struck me as really low, which is why I looked it up.

One vehicle with a GVWR near 2400 pounds is a Smart Car, at 2315 pounds. Its tow rating is… zero.

Seems to me this isn't a math problem but a terminology problem. The alphabet soup of towing-related terms and acronyms- GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, hitch weight, payload, curb weight, dry weight, etc.- can certainly be confusing to a newcomer! Nissan's towing guide is actually a pretty good introduction to the issues and terminology and is written in easy-to-understand language. It doesn't have ratings for individual models, though; for that it directs you to your owner's manual.
2013 Nissan Towing Guide

I agree that the manufacturer's tow rating is the right place to start, not the GVWR.

But it doesn't tell the whole story. Additional people and cargo in the vehicle, high altitude, mountain grades, frontal area, tongue weight all influence whether a particular vehicle will make a good tow vehicle or not. In most cases, those extra factors often favor a vehicle with a somewhat higher tow rating rather than one rated just barely adequate.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Name: michael
Trailer: in the market
Florida
to bad so sad

Quote:
i have a 2013 nissan rouge, 4 cyl. cai sucessfully pull scamp? the gvwr of the rouge is listed ar 2400lbs. tomuch advice from folks around here. bye t he bye iflunk math in hs and barley made in college. thank mike daeumer
im gonna buy a big truck
mike daeumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Just about any pickup out there, with V6 or larger, could handle a Scamp. Some folks tow them with 4-cylinder Tacomas (3500 lb tow rating if properly equipped), but that might be pushing it if you ever go to the mountains.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are trucks and then there are trucks, just like there are Scamps, then there are Scamps.

What truck and what size/model Scamp?

I tow an Escape 5.0 TA with a Ford F-150 V6 (w/ecoboost) and my trailer is bigger and heavier than any model of Scamp. Love the combo!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote