rivet caps - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
So Floyd I take it that you don't use the plastic washer & cap when replacing a rivet ? Do you use a metal washer with the rivet, and leave the rivet exposed ? Tim
Heck I have used them profusely in multiple colors, For cosmetic reasons mostly.
My camper is a 2004 and I have already replaced all of the external caps after mild deterioration from UV, this prevents the necessity to replace the snap washers, by continuing to prevent UV exposure.
I do this eventhough my camper is primarily assembled with screws and not rivets.
When working on a Scamp which never had snap caps I would replace necessary ones in kind. no external washer would be needed in that case and I would use acorn nuts where exposed on the inside.
If the plan involves painting the shell I kinda like the idea of using flush rivets and body filler for a smooth finish, though a touch of paintable caulk applied smoothly , conceals the washers well enough to stay on budget and provide value.
Hey how about using all red caps and naming it "One Measly Scamp"

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
OK I have a rivet job coming up this summer, so I just might try it without the plastic washers/caps. Then maybe I'll paint the rivet with a small brush and see how that turns out. I would just as soon do without the plastic washer/caps. I can't see any harm done. Thanks,Tim

Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I wonder if THIS is why so many want to replace the rivets with nuts and bolts?
Which are better - nuts/bolts or rivets? I've seen several mention using both, but I can't figure out if certain situations are better one way or the other.

I recently pulled out my interior fabric to replace with reflectix/fabric. I see that nearly all of my rivets have no cap of any kind. A couple are loose, and the paint is broken on the outside as well, as I look closely. I've never put in, or taken out, a rivet. On the other hand, I've used nuts/bolts a zillion times in other things, so my amateur inclination is to go that route! Help or thoughts?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
OK I have a rivet job coming up this summer, so I just might try it without the plastic washers/caps. Then maybe I'll paint the rivet with a small brush and see how that turns out. I would just as soon do without the plastic washer/caps. I can't see any harm done. Thanks,Tim
If you plan to fill and paint the pop rivets take a look at the countersunk rivets labeled with a "C" on ths following chart. flathead screws may be a better choice though, since they could be snugged up at some future date(maybe).
I am just tossing Ideas here, and not endorsing anything. there are some obvious potential foibles involved with prepping and painting over the rivets. Not so much if you just paint them.
Pop Rivets at Facca Fasteners
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Thanks for that chart Floyd I appreciate it. Think I will see if anyone else chimes in about the nut & bolt thing also. I would be interested to see what others say about that method too. Tim