Rivet Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I need to replace the water inlet and discovered it is rivetted on.

I am assuming these are pop rivets?

Does Scamp use the same size throughout the camper and if so what size?

I heard rivets come in different materials, I am assuming I need aluminimm ones?

I have never removed or replace rivets so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, does anyone konw if there is anything between the water inlet and the fibrglass or is it just rivetted on and then siliconed around the outer edge?

Thanks.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gail... You can order the water inlet and rivets from Scamp Parts Dept. or you could use the appropriate size stainless steel bolts /nuts. Scamp et al use poprivets as it is a one person job!!! Drilling them out is quite easy...be carefull tho!!!Using S/S bolts and nuts requires someone on the inside& outside to hold/tighten them. There is most definately a buytl sealer btween the water fill cup and the fiberglass...if not there should be!!! Lotsa luck on the job
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
The rivets are easy to take out. get a small drill bit and place the bit directly in the center of the rivot to be removed. The bit does not need to be terribly large. The water replacement can also be found at a local RV shop not sure the price but cheaper than shipping cost me from scamp for the few items plus you can pick it up today if your in a hurry. Grab some butyl tape as well while your there. I went to home depot and got a rivet gun and some aluminum rivets. I have a few sizes so I cant say for sure which one I used on that particular project. Rivet gun [at] $23 rivets $3 pkg. Buytle tape $6 valvue ? talk with the rv folks they are reallly helpful if you have ANY questions as are the scamp folks...
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
This is good to know, as we may find ourselves making repairs on the camper we are getting.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Brandy, where did you get your rivet gun? Thanks Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
I 'believe' they are available at most all hardware outlets, different prices seem to reflect quality of the tool in this case, not necessarily guaranteeing a better job when used!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
home depot...can be found at Lowes..ace true value ect...easy enough to used...Good luck YOU CAN DO IT!!

Quote:
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Brandy. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks Brandy. Robin
Harbor Freight has an inexpensive large riveter that can be used for the larger rivets on the scamps. Using bolts and nuts is not recommended because rivets would hopefully give before the fiberglass and bolts would cause the fiberglass to give first. Aluminum rivets with backup plates (aluminum washers) are available at Ace in several useful sizes. A friend recommends filling the hole with an epoxy paste before inserting the rivet. This gives extra strength and a seal. Good luck.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
... and try out some practice rivets first. They are easy to drill out the head if you mess up but it's always good to learn the tricks of the tool before doing the real job.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote