Rivet Removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Rivet Removal

Hey Everyone,

I need to take the kitchen cabinet doors off our '75 Trillium but have NO idea how to remove the rivets on the hinges. I have searched and searched but can't seem to find the info. Can anyone help me? Tips?

Thank you!
Ashley
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I have no idea which rivets are holding the hinges of a Trill, but most of the rivets on these eggs are "pop rivet" style.
They have to be drilled out.

Note: (definition of electric drill: "A device specifically designed for spinning rivets around and around until the person holding the drill screams rude and vulgar words and throws things!")
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Tennessee
Dave is right....the only way to remove pop-rivets is with a drill. It's usually not that difficult.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have no idea which rivets are holding the hinges of a Trill, but most of the rivets on these eggs are "pop rivet" style.
They have to be drilled out.

Note: (definition of electric drill: "A device specifically designed for spinning rivets around and around until the person holding the drill screams rude and vulgar words and throws things!")
LOL yup it always seems to go better with less vulgar words if you have someone hold the other side of the rivet with pliers to stop it from spinning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Use the same size drill bit as the rivet, probably 1/8" but could be one size larger.

Aluminum rivets with an aluminum shank are very easy to drill out. With a steel shank, not so easy. Sometimes the drill bit wants to run off center and eat sideways into the rivet. Also if the shank is steel it's possible that a little extra push will result in a snapped drill bit. The unfortunate side effect can be the ragged broken end of the drill bit hits and damages the nearby finished surface. Protect the surrounding surface or "chock up" on the drill so that it can't lunge forward and damage anything.

Don't want to put you off doing it but be aware that it's one of those jobs that can go really easily or sideways. After you do a few it gets easier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #6

Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Thanks everyone! I used the 1/8 bit and it easily took off the rivets of all the cabinets. As for the rivets holding the shelves in place inside the closet...can't seem to get those out. The drill just seems to very very slowly eat away at it. Haven't been able to get those ones off.
Thanks again for the help!
Ash
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium.Stella View Post
Thanks everyone! I used the 1/8 bit and it easily took off the rivets of all the cabinets. As for the rivets holding the shelves in place inside the closet...can't seem to get those out. The drill just seems to very very slowly eat away at it. Haven't been able to get those ones off.
Thanks again for the help!
Ash
Might need to try a new bit, they do get dull over time.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Pop rivets can be; all aluminum, al. shank and al. rivet; al. rivet with a steel shank or steel rivet with a steel shank.

So the outer ones may have been al. and the inner might be al. with a broken off steel shank and they are harder to drill. But with a drill bit in good shape and patience you should be able to get them drilled out.

Good luck,

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If the rivet starts to spin, put a one size bigger bit in the drill. Carefully drill off the head and the rivet shank should fall to the inside. I have a couple of shanks rolling around between the shell and the reflex.... if the head and the shank meld together, you may be able to pull both to the outside. Good luck. It's not tough, just a bit tedious.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
After reading the tool definitions post, I'm reminded that you can also use an oxyacetylene torch to melt everything around the rivet, and it will fall right out.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another tip for drilling out rivets - if they start to spin, angle your drill about 30 degrees and move the angle to a different orientation (around the clock) occasionally so the scuffing action of the drill eats away the rivet. The object is to direct part of the force exerted by the drill bit into a sideways direction, which has less tendency to spin the rivet.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium.Stella View Post
Hey Everyone,

I need to take the kitchen cabinet doors off our '75 Trillium but have NO idea how to remove the rivets on the hinges. I have searched and searched but can't seem to find the info. Can anyone help me? Tips?

Thank you!
Ashley
I have had good luck with a very sharp wood chisel and a drift punch set. For most, the drill worked fine but for the spinners, it was chisel and punch time...

Be brave, life is about learning, however, any education comes at a cost.
I don't always know what to do but I know what not to do after a failure.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium