Rivets for 73 Trillium Belly Band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 73 Trillium
British Columbia
Rivets for 73 Trillium Belly Band

Hello, our 73 trillium trailer had a number of rivets pop out and I would like to drill out a number of them and replace them. Does anyone no what size rivets are used on the trillium?
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Hello, our 73 trillium trailer had a number of rivets pop out and I would like to drill out a number of them and replace them. Does anyone no what size rivets are used on the trillium?
I have replaced many on our Trillium, I would have to say there have been at least two different sizes and types, some were aluminum, some were steel. I have a feeling they just used whatever they grabbed that day. Get an assortment, drill them out see which size fits. I have had ones side by side being different lengths and diameter.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It doesn't matter what they used originally. They are falling out because the metal plate they are in has rusted out. Personally I think the belly band should be eliminated:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html

But, if you really want to keep it, I would find the largest rivets I could and drill out the metal plate and belly band to match. But this will likely lead to a drill bit through the Ensolite. On second thought, maybe don't drill it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Carefully drill the head off and then measure the diameter of the hole.

Drill bits make a very handy diameter gauge to figure out the size of a small round hole.

As to the length, that can vary depending on what the accumulated thicknesses of materials it is fastening together. You can make a little tool to check that. Take a piece of stiff wire and bend a tiny L shape into one end of it. Then poke that into the hole and pull back until the L hits the inside surface of the stack of materials. Put some masking tape or a mark of some type around the wire on the outside right against the surface. The distance between the inside of the L and the mark from the outside is the "grip length" you need. The package of pop rivets will state what the grip range for the contents is.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium