Rivets holding curtain rod loose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Rivets holding curtain rod loose

Hi all,

On our Scamp 16' (Oct 2014 new) I noticed on our last outing a few weeks ago that the rivets for the two brackets that hold the curtain rod over the window next to the table are loose.

At the moment I will let them be, but at some point I may need to pop the external button caps off and re-rivet these using a washer on the inside on top of the bracket.

Does simple silicon work to reattached the external button covers?

Tnx.

Bruce
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Curtain rod rivets are 1/8" rivets, usually easy to buy locally. The caps and bases are #8. Use a little butyl tape or 3M 5200 marine sealer under the plastic base. (not silicone) The caps just snap on the bases after the rivet is installed no sealer needed for the caps.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Hi Bat Dude, the window curtain rivets on my Scamp are 5/32 dia. If you use 1/8 rivets, they will fit, but may not pull tight and seal properly, even if you use a sealer (which you should use anyway). Here is a link to a recent discussion of rivets:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post513988
1/8 and 3/16 dia. are the most common, the 5/32 is sometimes not in the "down the street" hardware store.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A nice stainless steel screw and acorn mut will fix this as well.
A # 6 04 8 32 perhaps.
Some sealant in the hole might be good as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #5

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I've used liquid nails ! ��
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Not everyone on this forum is a fan of the curtain rods and supports that Scamp installs at the factory. I'm having "technical" and decorating issues with mine. My 13' trailer was purchased in 2011. If your rods are coming loose it might be a good time to replace the supports and rods with something more sturdy. If only one rivet is loose I would leave things as they are. Unfortunately, standard "cafe curtain" rods and supports are usually of poor, lightweight quality. The rods included with the Scamp are too small to fit snugly in the rod support. I replaced my rods with cafe rods from Walmart (standard size). These rods have a larger circumference and have finials which keep the rod more snugly in place. I also put a length of old tent rod inside the hollow curtain rod, giving it more strength. In spite of this the curtain rods often "pop out" while on bumpy roads. Even when I secure the rods to the support with "zip-ties" they sometimes pop off.

Because I like to change out the look of my curtains it means I take the rods off and on frequently. I have to be very careful not to stress the support too much as it may result in weakened rivets and/or bent supports. I've attached some photos to show my "glamping" efforts. These are old photos and I think they show the original rods that Scamp installed.

If I were to purchase a new Scamp I would bring my own curtain rods and supports and ask Scamp to rivet them into the trailer. Some people prefer not to have curtain rods at all.

Good luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg  

SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote