Road clearance on Scamp... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1976 13' scamp
Oregon
Road clearance on Scamp...

Anyone tried to get more clearance under the Scamp? Mine has about 8" max under it. The fenderwells look to small to try and get much with a taller tire. Can something be done to the undercarriage of this 1976, 13 footer? Or do I live with what I have.
rpbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
There are a number of options for increasing clearance in a Scamp: raising the axle, changing the axle arm direction in some cases (I don't know antything about that), trimming wheel wells if the clearance issue is just with the edges.

Once you have some space you can put larger wheels/tires on.

I've only had experience with the wheel well trimming. Our Scamp had a 1.5" lift in it from the factory but others have done 3 or so inches after the fact themselves with the help of a welder.

Some searches might help because there has been quite a bit of discussion about this over time.
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
first things second,,,,do you need a new axel? on one that old thats the first thing you need to check. if you do,,then you simply replace it with an axel that will give you the ground clearance you want.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
first things second,,,,do you need a new axel? on one that old thats the first thing you need to check. if you do,,then you simply replace it with an axel that will give you the ground clearance you want.
John is absolutely correct, you probably need a new axle if you're still using the original. If a new axle is needed, check this thread for what I did on my '85 Scamp 13 to increase ground clearance - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-49911.html
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1976 13' scamp
Oregon
Wow, tons of info. Thanks to all. Looks like I will live with what I've got.
rpbailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp