Robertson Head Screw (Square Drive Screw) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post

Robertson patented the design and when his patents ran out and other manufacturers started making them, they couldn't call them "Robertson" because of trademark or copyright laws so the name square drive was used.

Taper or not, they are great. With most fasteners coming from China today, I suspect true Robertson brand fasteners are rare. I wish I could get accustomed to the metric system as easily as I adapted to the square d
rive fastener.
LOL well the good news is the original Robertson company is still in biz and they still have the name trade marked which is why I guess we still call them Robertson's.

Metric is one of those things I had friends visiting from the US last summer and they were going on about not knowing what the heck the speed limit was & always wondering if they were speeding. I told them to look at/use the little numbers on the inside circle of their speedometer. They burst out laughing and said they always wondered what those numbers where!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL well the good news is the original Robertson company is still in biz and they still have the name trade marked which is why I guess we still call them Robertson's.

Metric is one of those things I had friends visiting from the US last summer and they were going on about not knowing what the heck the speed limit was & always wondering if they were speeding. I told them to look at/use the little numbers on the inside circle of their speedometer. They burst out laughing and said they always wondered what those numbers where!
Yes but if you call a Chinese square drive screw a "Robertson" you would be infringing on Robertson's trademark and could go to jail. Do the jails in Canada have metric bars ?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
I dunno Carol. On the one hand the story is funny, but on the other it makes me realize there are people who don't know how to read a speedometer -- and they're driving!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Yes but if you call a Chinese square drive screw a "Robertson" you would be infringing on Robertson's trademark and could go to jail. Do the jails in Canada have metric bars ?
LOL we sure do but my point simple was that if you where standing in the average Canadian's workshop and asked them for a "square drive" or a "square drive screw" petty sure you going to get a blank look from most folks If you were to ask for a Robertson screw driver or Robertson screw most of us have drawers full of those

BTW you can buy the Robertson or square screws at pretty well any hardware store in Canada including Home Depot. Rows and rows of them. Love Lee Valley and that its being supported by those outside the country but suspect you will find way better deals elsewhere on screws.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I dunno Carol. On the one hand the story is funny, but on the other it makes me realize there are people who don't know how to read a speedometer -- and they're driving!
Apparently they felt the only important numbers they really need to know the meaning of on their speedometer were the MPG's!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:57 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Apparently they felt the only important numbers they really need to know the meaning of on their speedometer were the MPG's!
Good one Carol. Two things, when I was stationed overseas we were told to multiply the first number on the speed limit sign by 6 to get you close. Never had a problem and was never stopped. The car I was driving didn't have anything but mph...a '57 Chevy. If I was asked for a square drive I would know what it is. But if asked by the makers name....I would have had the blank look too . I learned something today.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #21

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Robertson screws are by far the fastener of choice in Canada. My Boler is now full of them. Three common sizes #1 green handle screwdriver, #2 red handle, #3 yellow handle.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #22

Washington
I remember finding some "clutch head screws" in trailers and campers. I actually has some clutch head screwdrivers. I never saw these fasteners anywhere but the RV industry. I haven't seen or even thought about these in years.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
If I have a choice, I choose Robertson screws.
Me too! 80% of the screws I use are Robertson. I throw any old, dated slotted screws away. Robertson's are popular and used as deck screws. The Robertson was invented in Milton or Georgetown Ontario. I recall driving past the historic location a number of years ago.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
And try going into a hardware store and asking for a Reed & Prince screwdriver, the eventual reply will usually be "Oh, you mean you want a Phillips Screwdriver". To which I could reply, "No, that's a bar drink with vodka, orange juice and milk of magnesia" (Yuk) LOL

In Japan and Germany they often use the description (+) and (-) for kinds of screwdrivers
Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And try going into a hardware store and asking for a Reed & Prince screwdriver, the eventual reply will usually be "Oh, you mean you want a Phillips Screwdriver". To which I could reply, "No, that's a bar drink with vodka, orange juice and milk of magnesia" (Yuk) LOL
Assure you Bob if you walk into any hardware store in Canada and ask for a Robertson screw or driver you will get what you want, although it may not be actually made by the Robertson Company itself.

Its a bit like Weed Eaters. Yes thats a Brand name and there are lots of different companies that make machines that look the same and do the same thing with different names on them. But if you talk about a Weed Eater pretty well everyone knows what your talking about.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #26

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Since the early 1970s I've owned at least a dozen different Rvs (truck campers, trailers, pop-up trailers & truck campers, 5th wheels, & now 2 moulded fiberglass trailers) as well as a homebuilt teardrop trailer I built in 2006. Some new, some very well used & all USA mfg'd except the 1976 Trillium I bought & then sold to a neighbor who 'just had to have it', which was Canada mfg'd. I bought a new Fields truck camper in 1979, built in Tulsa, OK, a new Mallard 5th wheel in 1985, built in Indiana, a new Layton bumper pull trailer in 1997, built in Indiana. I've also bought & 're-built' a host of other trailers & truck campers. In every case I can think of they were all (except the homebuilt teardrop) 'put together' using the square drive 'Robertson' type screws, even the Tulsa, OK built camper, the Mallard, & the Layton. I'm pretty sure a couple of the older models used a combination of square drive & 'clutch head' screws. Over the years I've amassed a pretty good collection of square drivers & bits tho I'm pretty sure I gave away my 'clutch head' (bow-tie?) drivers?? As long as I've been working on those things, I never knew the name 'Robertson' applied; THANKS for that info. I'd just take a screw to my local hardware store or RV dealer & buy a driver or bit that fit. A couple of 'big box' stores in locations where I lived usually had a display of different drivers & bits near the check-out & I'd pick up a handful of 'cheapies' when I bought building/repair supplies. I've probably 'lost' more square drive bits over the years than most people have seen. Fortunately the cheapies usually work as well as more expensive; don't recall ever breaking one...
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Assure you Bob if you walk into any hardware store in Canada and as for a Robinson screw or driver you will get what you want.....
And you'll get even more what you want if you ask for a Robertson.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #28

Washington
I'm getting teary eyed reading all this. I need a Kleenex or is that a "facial tissue" ?