Rock Guard For Window? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Minit 13 ft
Hey Folks,

My '73 fiberglass Minit is a copy of the Boler style. I know that Boler made their trailers with those rock guards that fold down over the hitch-side window. Scamp has them as well. I want to acquire and install one on our trailer. Does anyone out there know where I could get one? Any RV junkyards in the Portland, OR area? If so, let me know and I can get you measurements and the like.

I wish we could make the gathering in Rainier. We'll try for October.

Anyone in the Portland, OR area with an Escape trailer? If so, we'd like to take a look at it. Most likely will sell our Chubby Bunny for a larger fiberglass trailer. We're seriously looking at the 17' Escapes with two double beds.

Thanks all!
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Chris! Don't know of any rv salvage yards in the Portland area...but there's one in south Eugene. The chances of them having what you're looking for is pretty slim...but I'll find the name and edit the post here.

You could make a gravel guard. It's just a flat piece of fiberglass and you could purchase a fiberglass sheet from a big box hardware store (I think they use this stuff for shower stalls). Make a cardboard template of the OUTSIDE molding area of the window, use a jig saw and cut it out. Then maybe paint it. You were looking for trim for the door of your trailer...the gravel guard uses the same stuff. Get the hardware from Scamp...about $20

Guess you know, your best chance at seeing a trailer (any size, brand) is the Oregon Gathering in July. If you don't see it there...it probably hasn't been made yet
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #3

Thanks Donna! Where is the gathering in July? When? If it's mid-late July, we're there! Thanks again.

Quote:
Hey Folks,

My '73 fiberglass Minit is a copy of the Boler style. I know that Boler made their trailers with those rock guards that fold down over the hitch-side window. Scamp has them as well. I want to acquire and install one on our trailer. Does anyone out there know where I could get one? Any RV junkyards in the Portland, OR area? If so, let me know and I can get you measurements and the like.

I wish we could make the gathering in Rainier. We'll try for October.

Anyone in the Portland, OR area with an Escape trailer? If so, we'd like to take a look at it. Most likely will sell our Chubby Bunny for a larger fiberglass trailer. We're seriously looking at the 17' Escapes with two double beds.

Thanks all!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #4

Gad...how could you have missed the information about the Oregon Gathering...yeowsa.

Oregon Gathering

Here's the salvage information I have...I can't claim to it's accuracy.

Also in Oregon, Northwest RV Supply in Eugene stocks over 5,000 square feet of merchandise. Featuring surplus and obsolete parts and model year changeovers, Northwest RV Supply purchases inventory from such high line RV manufacturers as Country Coach, Monaco, and Safari. They can help you with furniture, appliances, televisions, and anything else your converter’s heart desires. Open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., they are located at 86325 College View Road, or can be reached by calling 541-746-9092. http://www.northwestrvsupply.com/

Also in Oregon:
Discount RV Supply
8805 Brightfield Circle
Tigard, OR 97223
800-524-5592
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #5

Donna,

I miss a lot with an 18-month old boy, remodeling the house, and teaching high school English! No excuses though. Thanks for the info. The window is curved, so I may have to either be very creative or just bag the idea and drive slowly on gravel roads.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Gad...how could you have missed the information about the Oregon Gathering...yeowsa.

Oregon Gathering

Here's the salvage information I have...I can't claim to it's accuracy.

Also in Oregon, Northwest RV Supply in Eugene stocks over 5,000 square feet of merchandise. Featuring surplus and obsolete parts and model year changeovers, Northwest RV Supply purchases inventory from such high line RV manufacturers as Country Coach, Monaco, and Safari. They can help you with furniture, appliances, televisions, and anything else your converter’s heart desires. Open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., they are located at 86325 College View Road, or can be reached by calling 541-746-9092. http://www.northwestrvsupply.com/

Also in Oregon:
Discount RV Supply
8805 Brightfield Circle
Tigard, OR 97223
800-524-5592
Old 04-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #6

Yep curved front window, just like most. The fiberglass flattens out to the curve of the window when pushed against it by wind resistance. You don't need a piece of precurved fiberglass. Put the hardware about 6-8 inches towards the middle from the ends. I just put one on my Scamp last summer. Scamp sells the flat fiberglass gravel guard. Unfortunately all those posts are gone due to the hack.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yep curved front window, just like most. The fiberglass flattens out to the curve of the window when pushed against it by wind resistance. You don't need a piece of precurved fiberglass. Put the hardware about 6-8 inches towards the middle from the ends. I just put one on my Scamp last summer. Scamp sells the flat fiberglass gravel guard. Unfortunately all those posts are gone due to the hack.

I believe that the Scamp gravel guard is curved, mine is.
Measure the window and call Scamp. They might have just the ticket.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:18 AM   #8

Well, the one they sent me isn't curved at all. It's flat as a board. The hardware is what makes it fit the curve of the window...plus the wind resistance, etc.

I put it on myself...with the help of some very nice members of FiberglassRV.

On second thought Byron...I wonder if they MADE the gravel guard for your trailer from the piece of fiberglass they cut out for the window??? Mine might be considered "after market."
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Well, the one they sent me isn't curved at all. It's flat as a board. The hardware is what makes it fit the curve of the window...plus the wind resistance, etc.

I put it on myself...with the help of some very nice members of FiberglassRV.

On second thought Byron...I wonder if they MADE the gravel guard for your trailer from the piece of fiberglass they cut out for the window??? Mine might be considered "after market."
Donna, my rockguard in original and I do think it's likely the piece they cut out of the body for the window.

I really don't think it would be too difficult to make one of these. Getting the right hardware would be the trick. If anyone wants pictures, I can get some tomorrow! YAY! The Lovebug is finally coming home! With all the bright, talented people on this site, I'm sure someone could help fashion the hardware from something!

By the way, I did paint mine. It was so yellowed, I didn't like it. I added a few coats of poly over my paint and it's looking good!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Chris:

Wahooo! Yipeee!
We believe we have found a rock guard that will work for you!!

56 1/2" wide, X 26 1/2" tall X 1 3/4" deep. ALL NECESSARY HARDWARE INCLLUDED.

The rock guard is square and has an aluminum frame. It would be possible to mount this on "Chubby Bunny" as per Donna D.'s suggestion.

Please PM us so that we can make direct contact: home phone, cell phone, email add. or whatever works for you. It is used but in very good condition, with an asking price of $50. Please let us know asap so Bill can go over (on Monday?) and capture this rock guard for you.

We have a 1978 Trillium 13' which we found out behind a barn. She had been used as a fishing cabin and badly abused. We have replaced her curtains and cushion covers, the axel, repaired her frame, etc. Refrigerator and heater gone.
Boy is this fun! Like watching your child grow up.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Bill and Jacquie

PS We will be at the No. Oregon gathering next weekend.
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote