Rock/Road Grunge Protection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape
Anyone have any neat ideas as to how to protect the front of a trailer from rock damage and road grunge? I've seen those fiber mats that hang down from the rear of the towing vehicle but wonder if they're all that effective. I would like have something that looks decent, installs without ruining the trailer front and works. Maybe some sort of rubber-like paint? Any suggestions/ideas?

Doug
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a Escape on order. I ordered the option of putting a guard on the front just for this purpose. It snaps on and off. Maybe one of the Escape owners will see this and give you their opinions.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I searched for a long time before settling on these. I've some others since I bought that would probably work better. My TV is Blazer so I have the flaps as close together as possible. Seems to work the one time I pulled the trailer on a gravel road with them.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Hi Doug,

At Home Depot, I found this great spray-on rubber that comes in black and red... "Plastic Kote." About $5 per can. It's advertised for marine and automotive use and I am going to spray it on the front lower half of our Bigfoot 19 to act as a "dirt and rock guard." The way I see it, it can always be sprayed over as needed and will not require drilling holes to affix it (as it looks like most of the vinyl covers do). Hope that helps!

Let us know what you end up with.
Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Some members have had problems with some of the home applied spray on coating products. Not sure which ones anymore, but if you really want to try it is there any way to test it on another surface first?

The snap on/off trailer bra thing might be worth looking into some more. What kind of material is it made out of? Ches?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Some members have had problems with some of the home applied spray on coating products. Not sure which ones anymore, but if you really want to try it is there any way to test it on another surface first?

The snap on/off trailer bra thing might be worth looking into some more. What kind of material is it made out of? Ches?
I think its a leatherette type of stuff.I did not look close when i saw it.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Then, the old leatherette toneau from my truck should make a good candidate??? It's still in excellant condition but the fasteners wore out. I guess that this is what I pack-ratted it for.
Just cut to fit and add snap fasteners.
Thanks
JIm
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i'm planning to use a protective truck spray on bedliner material on the front lower part of my trailer after i paint it... just a suggestion...
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote