Rock shield out of old plxiglass window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Rock shield out of old plxiglass window

I can't find the info I read in the Forum about making a see-through rock shield for my front window. Any hints?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Don't use plexiglass as it's a soft plastic and will look pretty bad within a year. Use Lexan (used for vehicle headlight lenses) and it will stand up far better.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I can't find the info I read in the Forum about making a see-through rock shield for my front window. Any hints?

Here's a couple of photos:

We used a scrap of generic Lexan, small bolts with acorn nuts on the front side (kind of decorative), and we did use white butyl tape between the edge of the Lexan and the fiberglass to keep dirt, leaves, twigs, etc., from filling in the admittedly small gap. We put the Lexan on the front side of the fiberglass...I know Lexan is bulletproof...never heard that fiberglass was.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 054.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 055.JPG  

Old 07-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Registry
We LOVE having that extra window. We took a small, cheap, straight (no curved ends) extendible curtain rod, put extra plastic ends on it, and taped it to the length that exactly holds up the shield AND lets us fully open the front window (they are one-piece jalousies...don't know what else to call them; they don't open very far, maybe 8 inches).

We store the rod under the rock shield when it's closed up for traveling or bad weather.

We fastened it with a double-hinged hasp and a carabiner. It works really well...and took us dozens of hours of thinking, sketching, shopping, and horsing around to get it all together.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Use LEXAN
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We LOVE having that extra window. We took a small, cheap, straight (no curved ends) extendible curtain rod, put extra plastic ends on it, and taped it to the length that exactly holds up the shield AND lets us fully open the front window (they are one-piece jalousies...don't know what else to call them; they don't open very far, maybe 8 inches).

We store the rod under the rock shield when it's closed up for traveling or bad weather.

We fastened it with a double-hinged hasp and a carabiner. It works really well...and took us dozens of hours of thinking, sketching, shopping, and horsing around to get it all together.
Looks good!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Registry
LEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Use LEXAN

RIGHT.

Charlie Y: Thanks!
Old 07-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate from one maker of it. You can use any brand of polycarbonate you want to, it does not have to be the Lexan brand.

Here is an easy to understand discussion on the differences between polycarbonate and acrylic. It might help you make up your mind on which product to choose for a rock shield. Nice to have a little deeper understanding when making choices for a specific application of use.
How Are Polycarbonate & Acrylic Different | The Plastic People : : Blog
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #9

Quebec
My question was not about what to choose between plexiglass and Lexan, although that discussion is interesting. I guess I wasn't clear. I'm looking for info about people who used their old windows, whatever transparent material they are made of, as a rock shield instead of the fiberglass one.

Looking at my old window today, it's not as high as the fg shield and won't do. I'm thinking of using my fg rock shield but cuting an opening at the bottom of it to see through the camper.

I don't feel safe not seeing what's coming behind...

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I don't feel safe not seeing what's coming behind...

Thanks!
I'd be more concerned about what's coming at me in front.
Never tell your insurance company that you were looking in the rear view mirror. I did, and it became my fault.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'd be more concerned about what's coming at me in front.
Never tell your insurance company that you were looking in the rear view mirror. I did, and it became my fault.
Excellent advice...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:09 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I'm thinking of using my fg rock shield but cuting an opening at the bottom of it to see through the camper. I don't feel safe not seeing what's coming behind...
Sorry, a bit off topic but I don't understand all the posts I see like this, along with cameras, that's what your side mirrors are for, learn to use them. 95% eyes forward for what you're doing and 5% checking mirrors. Does it really make any difference if someone comes up on you and is hanging just off your bumper waiting for an opening to pass you? No, stay steady and let them do their thing. The same as you would be doing with the rolls being reversed. Any move you make because some ones on your tail may end up being the cause of an accident. Just a hint, if a vehicle is close to you and you can't see it from the mirrors, look for a shadow on the road. Your own shadow can tell you when you have clearance if you're passing. Saved me when a CHP was 3' behind my bobtail dump truck....stopped going for the last 6 gears and stayed at 55mph .
If you want to do that mod to feel better go for it but if you were coming up behind me I certainly wouldn't be worried if you were close behind me, it's your move, I'm staying right where I am.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

Quebec
Point well taken, Dave. The idea is that seeing in the back increases the awareness of what's going on in my surrounding. That's important to know when one needs to react to what happens on the road.

Can that awareness be gained just with side mirrors? Very possibly. Is the increased awareness worth modifying my shield? Maybe or maybe not. Truck drivers sure don't see behind them. Thanks for making me think.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If plexiglass has been used for years on the front window without major breaks, etc. it should work fine for the gravel guard. My 1988 went more than 15 years with a front plexiglass window before I put guard over it. I bought the gravel guard from Scamp, mainly because I wanted to do away with the front curtains and provide a darker interior during sleeping hours. I have the gravel guard setup to be used as a front window awning during the day. Win/Win.

Since I never travel/tow in a perfectly straight line for more than a quarter mile or so, the need to see through the trailer to traffic behind me is not needed. Curves in the road and mirrors let me see everything I need to see. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #15

Registry
We added our rock shield window because when closed, it made a dark corner with an unusable window in it. Now it's a window regardless. Even if we don't open it, we can still see the scenery out that way when camped.

I hoped it would help Paul see behind him, as well, although the rear view mirrors do a fine job for him. We didn't even have to add bigger mirrors/longer mirror supports, the van is wide enough and the amerigo narrow enough.

PS -- our first camping trip starts July 4th; going up to the national forest for three nights' shakedown cruise.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
How about replacing the plexiglass sheet in the front window with lexan? What could be wrong with this mod?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #17

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
How about replacing the plexiglass sheet in the front window with lexan? What could be wrong with this mod?

Other than possible cost, nothing.

When we redo the windows, Paul wants to use polycarbonate for all of them. THAT's going to have to be budgeted for!

I bet the polycarbonate will last better than the plexiglass has...though it's still useful, parts of it are pretty strange. Blotches, crystalline crackling (like old crackle pottery), nicks, dings, etc.

An ideal solution once you're past the price.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a good comparison between Plexiglass and Lexan: Plexiglass Sheets, Fiberglass, UHMW, Polycarbonate & Engineering plastics: Plexiglass vs Lexan Matchup
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #19

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

VERY good comparison...apparently our rock shield will darken over time.
NOT so very ideal after all...but it probably won't be broken.

Sounds like the rest of the windows, when replaced, will be plexiglass after all.