Roof A/C -the good and the bad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOY View Post
I just got this 13' Scamp with a "roof A/C" (coleman-brand)on it. This is my first fiberglass camper with a "roof A/C". I don't know much about these roof A/C, Are they reliable? Reasonably reliable. I know they are expensive. Do they last long? Most will last quite a few years, but every brand has its share of occasional duds, I think. No way to predict how your particular unit will fare. Are they easy to replace and install ? Pretty easy. Do they "leak" on the roof ? They can; periodically checking the bolt tightness is helpful, and sometimes resealing can become necessary if you see a leak. I have no experience about these A/C. Any advice on this topic will be appreciated, thank you to this forum. Any advice? Ok, don't buy stock in GM, Lol. Oh wait, that's off topic...
I hope you can get out there and do some camping very soon!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #22

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
I looked into this for my Burro. The inside panel was too large to fit comfortably inside. I wish they made on with a narrower panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Sounds like you need a mini-split. . . . .
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #23

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Replacing your RV air conditioner gasket can help you control leaks permanently. Make sure you replace the old gasket with a product specific to your RV air conditioner model. It will also help if you choose a high-quality gasket to prolong its life.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #24

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We have both an AC and a fantastic fan on the Escape. A fantastic fan is nice, but when its really hot, its no substitute for AC.
I also have both in my Casita, but am in the opposite camp - Given a choice between the two, I would much rather have the fan than the roof A/C.

The fan works well even when dry-camped, and draws a miniscule amount of battery power. At night, it is wonderful for pulling in cool outside air - without drowning out other night time sounds.

The roof A/C excels at exactly one thing: Being noisy.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I decided I really didn't want a roof AC and I did want to keep the Maxx Fan. Plus, I wanted as much solar on the roof as was practical to put up there. So, I installed a window unit in the back wall and kept the Maxx Fan. This is an 8,000 BTU casement window type AC which draws about 600 watts max. I made a stainless cover for it to keep the weather out when not in use.

It should be able to run about 4 hours a day on my batteries and solar, and be able to do it day after day, not just once while running the batteries all the way down (480 AH of lithium). Since the fiberglass Xplore has an aluminum skeleton, I had to find a unit that was no more than about 15" wide to fit between the studs. I think 6,000 BTU would have been fine, but 8,000 BTU was the smallest of this type I could find. I also considered a mini-split, but it was just as big outside and the inside unit was too large to fit very well on the models I found. The mini-split seems like a good idea if you can find the right one. Since I use the Maxx Fan every day, I did not want to give that up and since it takes up a lot less area on the roof, the solar could be bigger (now at 660 watts).

I tried it out in Nevada and it seems to work fine. Just barely got it done and left with the paint still wet. We'll be in Alabama for the next two weeks, so I plan to give it a workout there.
Attached Thumbnails
X22 A:C.PDF.jpg  
Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #26

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Replacing your RV air conditioner gasket can help you control leaks permanently. Make sure you replace the old gasket with a product specific to your RV air conditioner model. It will also help if you choose a high-quality gasket to prolong its life.
Learning how to replace the RV air conditioner gasket can save your RV’s interior against water damage and contribute to a more comfortable sleep.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #27

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The 8000 btu rear window unit was standard in our Lil Snoozy. It does a good job and is much quieter and cheaper than the roof mounts. It is still running after nearly 8 years.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
I just got this 13' Scamp with a "roof A/C" (coleman-brand)on it. This is my first fiberglass camper with a "roof A/C". I don't know much about these roof A/C, Are they reliable? I know they are expensive. Do they last long? Are they easy to replace and install ? Do they "leak" on the roof ? I have no experience about these A/C. Any advice on this topic will be appreciated, thank you to this forum.
AC is one of those things that you don’t need till you need it. It needs a AC power source. So, practically, when you dry camp you will not be using it.

In my experience, they are very reliable. I owned two “vintage” trailers: a 1992 & a 2002. Both AC were installed when the trailers were built, and worked perfectly for me.

Re leakage. You need to regularly inspect the rooftop casing. It does deteriorate from sun exposure and must be replaced. Otherwise, rain water will enter the roof around the AC. The manufacturer will give you the replacement part. A professional can replace it for very little cost. Just make sure he’s using a sealant that is compatible with fiberglass.

I have not used my AC all that much and only recently started camping in summer months. I now use the AC - not only to cool the trailer down, but to prevent smoke from wild fires from entering the cabin.

On hot days, I turn it on long enough to cool down the trailer when returning from the field. If we cook dinner inside the cabin, we use the AC to keep the cabin from getting too hot & turn it off once dinner is ready.

Personally, I do not find our AC to be particularly loud. If it is necessary to have it on at bedtime, it does no interfere with my sleep.

Regarding a ceiling fan. My 19 foot trailer did not have a ceiling fan. I upgraded to my BF 21 a couple of years ago. Had I kept the BF19, I would have installed a Fantastic or Max Fan over my sleeping area. I also would have installed a solar system.

My BF21 does have a Fantastic Fan over our rear bed. (I installed a lithium battery right after I got the trailer). And I do love that fan. It really makes a difference in my comfort. With the lithium battery, I can use the fan all day & all night long for several days. Personally, I prefer to use the AC only when necessary. And leave my windows opened most of the time.

My advice:
  • keep the AC
  • Research 12 volt fans that you can hang over your bed & dining area
  • install 12 volt outlets for the fans, your radio and mobile charging

12 volt stand alone fans are not very expensive & don’t require installation, other than well placed hooks. If you dry camp, they will be invaluable. If you hook up, they will allow you to open your windows & turn off the AC when things cool down at night.

Best of luck
Old 05-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #29

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I just got this 13' Scamp with a "roof A/C" (coleman-brand)on it. This is my first fiberglass camper with a "roof A/C". I don't know much about these roof A/C, Are they reliable? I know they are expensive. Do they last long? Are they easy to replace and install ? Do they "leak" on the roof ? I have no experience about these A/C. Any advice on this topic will be appreciated, thank you to this forum.
I wouldn't have an RV without A/C. In fact we traded an RV off because it didn't have it and we were going to MO in the summer. We just got back from a trip to KY and used the A/C a lot. Our RV got up to 90 degrees without it on. With 93% humidity that was miserable. We kept the RV cool while traveling with the dash air. It only got that hot when we were traveling and stopped to do things or to eat. They cool very well, are very reliable and don't leak unless the seal goes bad or if they come loose. One did on our large RV once so we learned to check the mounting bolts from the inside and just make sure they aren't loose. DO NOT over tighten as you can cause problems. We have never had to replace one because of it quitting. We did have to replace one when hail flattened the fins on the A/C unit. We have 12V fans for the Casita and our RV and use them if we don't have electric but usually go to a park with electric if it is extremely hot. Keeping the inside cooler helps the fridge stay cold also. Our fridge usually stays 35-40 degrees. We use an indoor/outdoor thermometer set to watch the temp without having to open the door of the fridge. Depending where the remote is in the fridge the temp varies.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote