Roof Air for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
I am planning on the installing an air conditioner in my '74 Trillium. I know that I can put a portable unit through the closet but would rather use this space for storage. Does anyone know whether the roof on the trillium is strong enough to take a roof unit without additional bracing?java script:emoticon('', 'smid_7')

Thanks.

-don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
No, roof will not support a/c unless originally reinforced during manufacture. Past discussion on how to A/C a Trillium.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would think there must be a way to provide the needed bracing.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #4

Registry
Let me ammend my first answer. No, unless you reinforce the roof.

The thread I linked to has a disucussion and diagram of one way that has been used to reinforce the roof. Otherwise, roof will sag and leak due to flexing. With the un-reinforced roof from the factory a fantastic fan is enough to put a little sag in the roof.

Curt
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Let me ammend my first answer. No, unless you reinforce the roof.

The thread I linked to has a disucussion and diagram of one way that has been used to reinforce the roof. Otherwise, roof will sag and leak due to flexing. With the un-reinforced roof from the factory a fantastic fan is enough to put a little sag in the roof.

Curt
Curtis,

I thought that was implied in your original post. The reason I made my comment is that it is unknown the level of thinking of the person who asked the question. A lot of us tend to assume a practical understanding level above what others actually have and talk 'over-their-heads'.

A couple of years ago, I got into rebuilding old pianos and joined the Piano Technicians Guild. At first, I was clueless most of the time during any discussion or presentation of technical items. I really appreciated when someone would see my plight and explain things in layman's terms. Now I'm better, but still have to ask a few dumb questions.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
In the old Trillium post, one post is that Kathy & Doug Roach have put roof air on 2 Trilliums. Does anyone know how to contact them? I'd like to know more about the 2 roof supports. They appear to be running lengthwise on the roof toward the outside of the roof. Is the major strength of the roof at the outside edges and roof strength weakens as you move toward the center? If the weight of a roof air conditioner is distributed to the outside edges, is the roof then strong enough to carry the air conditioner?

Thanks for the help.

_Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #7

Registry
I don't know how to contact them.

The center of the raised portion of the roof is not strong enough to support the A/C. By using the figure H box support they spread the load over more of the of the roof and move the load closer to the side of the trailer. The ridge where the center portion rises above the rest of the roof line is much stronger than the center of the roof because of the right angles. The H piece in the picture in the middle of page 2 of the linked post is going from side to side and not front to back.

Curt
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
I would think twice (and more!) before installing a roof A/C on a 1974 Trillium. I have a 74 Trillium and have to reinforce the roof right in the center as the roof sags in spring when snow starts melting. That's nothing compared to the weight of a roof A/C.... Considerable reinforcement would be needed and the total bill (including A/C would at least be in the 2,000 CDN$.

Someone can install a 5,000 BTU unit for 135 CDN$ (85$ for the A/C and 50$ for lintake and exhaust material) !!!!

Ok, you are going to loose may be 3 cubic feet of storage but there are so many ways to recuperate that storage lost... More than that your are going to increase your gas costs for ever by adding that friction and dragging factor on the roof. Internal installation adds only let's say 25 pouds (may be less) no drag factor and perfect balance as it is just over the wheels...
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium