roof fan for Scamp 13 oversize vent opening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13
Illinois
roof fan for Scamp 13 oversize vent opening

I have an 05 Scamp 13. The roof vent has a 24.5" x 17" opening. I would like to install a fan but it looks like they are all made for a 14"x14" opening. Has anyone else had this problem? What are my options? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JPBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I don’t have a scamp and I’m sure others will chime in... are you sure that opening isn’t for escape hatch??
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You might be measuring the frame of the escape hatch. most of them the opening is 14X22 without the frame.
You do have choices...

1] You could keep the escape hatch and place the fan elsewhere.
2]You could remove the escape hatch and install the fan in the center of the opening, using a piece of Fiberglas sheet on each side, then place a light on each side or fill in with ratfur.
3] You could modify a fantastic fan and install it still using the escape hatch lid and frame.

I like the second option, I live in Illinois and I would be glad to give you some excellent fiberglass panel(s) to accomplish the job.
PM me to discuss details as to what I am thinking would make a professional looking mod.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I would go with Floyds option 1. Leave the escape hatch as is. Mount the fan where the A/C would normally go. Most likely you don't have a supported roof but not needed for a fan. You will have a short concealed wire run from the closet unlike to the escape hatch. The center location work better for using it as a kitchen exhaust fan and if you have a bath it is also a better location.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I would go with Floyds option 1. Leave the escape hatch as is. Mount the fan where the A/C would normally go. Most likely you don't have a supported roof but not needed for a fan. You will have a short concealed wire run from the closet unlike to the escape hatch. The center location work better for using it as a kitchen exhaust fan and if you have a bath it is also a better location.
Eddie
Definitely the easiest option if there is no A/C.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0204.JPG   DSCF0210.JPG  

DSCF0211.JPG  
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13
Illinois
OK! All great options. I never thought of installing the fan separately. And i was concerned about running the wire to the existing "escape hatch" If I locate the fan near the closet I can use it as a chase to run the wires to the fan. Brilliant! Now any pointers on cutting the fiberglass hole in the roof. I am pretty skilled in woodworking but have never worked with fiberglass before. This forum is GREAT!!!!!
Thanks
JPBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Multi tool with a circular blade. Have a Shop-Vac hose next to multi tool it will catch most of your fiberglass dust. It will cut the fiberglass and reflectix together if you cut from the outside in.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Registry
Rotozip set shallow,
Wear a dust mask.
A fine cutoff wheel works great on a 4" grinder too.
As Eddie said use a shop vac.

Tags
scamp