Roof installation of a Solar/battery ventilator fan - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: Fiberglass camper shell
New Mexico
Roof installation of a Solar/battery ventilator fan

Over a year ago I completed installing a roof vent with solar and battery powered fan in the roof/ceiling of my fiberglass truck camper shell.My experience may be of interest and use to some FRV users, so I am posting here. I have attached a description of how I did it.

The solar cell charges a small battery, and it is the battery that runs the fan. So, fan can be used day or night.

I am very pleased with the installation and with the product. It helps remove moisture to reduce inside condensation in rainy and/or cold conditions, but it does not eliminate condensation entirely. With a window cracked open to allow air inflow, it will exhaust some heat, but not much. It comes with two fan blades, and I have only used the exhaust blade, and never the intake fan blade.It runs very quietly, and is not a very strong fan. It was designed to ventilate boat cabins, especially during storage.

If any one wants to try it, I will sell you the hole saw and mandrel for 1/2 price (see Page 1 of attachment), plus shipping. Just Private Message me via FRV. Any questions? Post them here so others can benefit.

There's extensive details, plus references via hyperlinks, in the attached PDFs. I had to break the PDF "How I did it" into 10 smaller files, due to the limitations of the FRV tool for uploading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PART 1-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (327.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf PART 2-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (286.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf PART 3-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (248.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf PART 4-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (283.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf PART 5-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (281.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf PART 6-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (284.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf PART 7-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (248.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf PART 8-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (301.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf PART 9a-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (375.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf PART 9b-How I installed a Vent with Solar and Battery powered fan in a Fiberglass Camper Shell.pdf (156.3 KB, 12 views)

jnossoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
I have seen them at the marine supply stores, they are quite common for using as vents on boats.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #3

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
California
Joel,
This could solve a problem I am currently trying work through: Id Iike to install a 12 volt Maxifan in an existing ceiling vent in my aft bathroom. I want to use it as an exhaust unit to maximize air flow flow in the cabin on warm days. Ill need a powerful fanthst can operate all day and night. Unfortunately, I cannot get power to the bathroom ceiling, and Id rather not cut a hole in the ceiling of my main cabin.

Reading your thread, perhaps I could install a solar fan in that vent area.

However, before I spin too many wheels ...

Have you IDd a more powerful solar fan that would operate at the same level as Fantastic Fans or Maxifans?

Can these fans continue operating after dark?

Who else manufactures these vans?

Thanks for your help.

Tags
battery, solar, vent, ventilation