Roof Mounted Shelf/Cabinet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Ours are made of 3/8" pre-finished plywood.; the cabinet faces are shy of 10" tall, the bottom "shelf" and 10-5/8" deep with 3/4" square stock along the back and top edges for screwing from the outside hull into the 3/4" strip. We store mostly lightweight things like clothing in our loft cabinets of our 5er (pictured) because I worry about increasing our center of gravity too much and making the trailer tippy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Jun24_Scamp_Remodel_Loft_SS_Cabinet___Closet_In_Progress.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	17706

Our loft's upper cabinets were assembled in-place. I thought it was easier doing it that way over pre-assembling and fitting them. I made and test-fit cardboard templates to get the round corner angles correct before cutting my plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
08Apr01_Pic_of_Closet_from_Loft_640x480.jpg  

Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Kurt,
I bought some of the ones sold at Emily. The person selling them really did not want their name broadcast all over the place. They are from NS.
They were made of thin birch veneer plywood with about a 3/4" support glued on the inside corner and 6 small pieces of the 3/4" glued on just back from the edges. We used small L brackets and 6 SS bolts to attach the units. They were very light and surprisingly strong once installed. Front and rear are slighty different due to the difference in the body. The front is slightly smaller. The thin plywood is easily shaped with a belt sander or in my case an angle grinder with a sandpaper disc.

We really have not had them long enough to decide what we will store in them. Partly because our storage needs are still changing as we work on the trailer. I put a stereo in the front unit and cut a slot for facial tissue in the back over the bed. No more box of Kleenex on the counter - yeah! We will be mounting some of the battery operated Princess Auto "space ship" lights under them this spring with voltage regulators wired to our 12V. (Item # 8173403)

Somewhere on the web, I found a template in a PDF that you can use to start with. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you. BTW the person that made the drawing is about 3.5 hours from you so you might have a closer source than you think.

Roy

Old 01-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Hi Roy, thanks for that update, PM Sent Any pics of yours?

thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Peter,
Those look nice. Assuming they attach to the shell, how did you do that?

Roy,
I was going to ask if you would mind e-mailing me the .pdf too, but on reflection, I wonder if it could be posted on the site for others to use as a base as well? Nice to have something to start with, even if it needs tweaking.

I thought about adding weight up high also, but then I figured that (depending on one's ratio of travelling to staying put), one could always put any "heavy" stuff in a nylon duffel on the floor for travelling, then "re-stock" the shelves for camping (and then the duffel would fold up very small). Not that you'd be putting encyclopaedias up there regardless. And I bet I would find a lot of light stuff that it would be great to get out of the way.

Raya
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
My wife stores towels, washclothes and an extra blanket over the dinette and tea towels, kleenex, playing cards, books and magazines, dog needs, and some of her personal things over the front end. By the end of camping season the front one needs to be emptied and sorted as it tends to collect everything that has no other permanent place. Don't worry about what to put in it. Someone will say "Oh, now I can bring....."

Junk has a tendancy to expand to fill available space.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #20

Name: Laura
Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Alberta
Registry
Here are some photos of how I made overhead cabinets for my boler.

Hope this helps!

overhead.jpg   overhead3.jpg  

Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 1970 Boler
thanks, thats great. I think I am going to make one myself as well. I think with a small wood frame and the wrapped in fibergalss should be great.

Towels and blankets in one side and perhaps some of those hard to store frying pans (2) in the other side...that should free up a lot of space in the large drawer I have installed beneath my bunk.

Anyone have pics of the brackets or mounting? I thought of a small L bracket along the side and rear for added support but it may look funny?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Ours are mounted with L-brackets but they are on the inside of the cabinets. All you see is the mounting hardware (rivets/nuts/whatever) on the outside.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #23

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
battery operated Princess Auto "space ship" lights under them this spring with voltage regulators wired to our 12V. (Item # 8173403)

Roy, what did you have to use for regulators on these lights. Would they work well enough to replace he original 12 volt lights in our Trillium?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #24

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Peter,
Those look nice. Assuming they attach to the shell, how did you do that?
I use screws through the hull to hold them up. First I hold the cabinet up in-place (actually Lynne does the holding) and use masking tape to mark where the outer edges of the cabinet fall, then marked where the 3/4" wood screwing strips inside the cabinet are and I drilled three holes from the inside out for the top and three for the back. Once that was done Lynne held the cabinet in place again and I got up on a ladder to screw the cabinet into place, starting with one middle screw for the top and one for the back so I could check to make sure all was going well and Lynne could move on to other things she wanted to do.

The screws all have Scamp's plastic screw covers with butyl tape sealant underneath to keep the holes water-tight.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #25

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Laura, those look really nice in there. Did you cover them with the ensolite material? The bottom support looks like a long chrome tube that you covered? How is it mounted?
Thanks...
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #26

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Here are some photos of how I made overhead cabinets for my boler.
Nice job!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I put a stereo in the front unit and cut a slot for facial tissue in the back over the bed. No more box of Kleenex on the counter - yeah!
Oooh! I like that idea!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Okay, I'll release this a bit early. This book is a work in progress and once complete will be available for free here on FiberglassRV, like maybe in a year. These pages may be helpful.
BTW: "Magnificent Modifications and Fabulous Fixes for Molded Fiberglass "
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OverheadCupboards.pdf (121.8 KB, 283 views)

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote