Roof Paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi gang...has anyone used Krylon Fusion aerosol spray on their fiberglass rig?I have considered elastomeric, or interlux brightside, and coatings such as vertglass. But with no indoor place to work on the Road Toad, the driveway is it! Thus a quick- dry spray on a dry, non windy day may be my best option.
If you have used this stuff (ad says it can be used on outdoor patio furniture and on fiberglass surfaces) let me know of your experience.
I'm resigned to having a green TT with a white cap...no way I'd ever match that avocado shade of green. Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Hi Alistair, take the trailer to a paint shop, they should be able to do a colour match for you.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

Thanks Joe...but 2 or 3 cans of Krylon -Do Not Post Email Addresses- $5.95 is sort of where my head is at now...Body shop spray paint... maybe later when the tax refund cheque comes in
Alistair
Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #4

I guess I shouldnt use an ampersand with my price
My bad
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Alistair,
I've recently used it on two replacement drain plumbing metal caps. The 8yr. old plastic caps had disintegrated from exposure to the sun's UV rays. I didn't think of protecting them with paint soon enough. The color matches the Casita gelcoat perfectly so I'm also going to use it on 58 replacement pop rivet caps. We'll see how well it holds up to the ravages of time. Krylon products have performed well for me in the past.

What the heck, Life alone is an ongoing experiment and gamble, so live dangerously and give it a try!
Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
First of all there is a huge difference in paints and a seals, or Gel coats, fiberglass appears to be a solid surface, it is actually a coated wick with a smooth outer covering a few mils thick, (a gel coat) a crack in the outer gel coat allows moisture to seep and wick straight thru the shell...I use Interlux products or West system myself...There is a self leveling prime coat repair made today, its a two part epoxy called "Primecoat"...being a two part epoxy it will fill cracks, its designed to restore old gel coat finishes...also its brushable! As long as you follow the instructions and first wash the surface with the recommended solvent needed...Then I would paint with "Perfection" another Interlux product and is brushable...you will end up replacing the gel coating with results that are factory in looks...These I recommend as they are UV stabilized products and have served me well.

Fiberglass deteriorates because its plastic, it out gases at a set rate, you could park it in the dark and in twenty years it will look aged and be cracking, the sun on older trailers greatly accelerates deterioration, the outer covering is the thickness of a heavy trash bag...The good news is new chemistries today have made this a far easier job than 20 years ago, the plastics today are more stabilized and a whole lot better than paints...Some old timers will say fear this job and go to a shop...I agreed for the most part with this up to a few years ago...I would research my suggestion here and then see how intrepid you are...I did it and loved the results...Other options are single part epoxies or silicon urathanes which are easier...some now are water based and clean up with water.

The non specialized paints I do not recommend, they do not make good long term sealants for fiberglass issues and are hell to remove when you must do it right later again.

Harry

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Quote:
Hi gang...has anyone used Krylon Fusion aerosol spray on their fiberglass rig?

So - did you venture out with the spray paint? What was the result?
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting