Roof Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Roof Rack

Would anyone know if it is possible - or even a good idea - to attach some sort of rack on the roof of a Trillium trailer for a canoe or kayak? I don't believe there's enough room to put it on my vehicle's roof without bumping into the trailer.

And if it is possible, how?

Thanks.
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought that might be a good idea when I had a tent trailer. Consider this. You arrive at your campsite and now the canoe is on the roof, but the launch site is way over there. So you have to back the trailer into the boat launch, unload, then go to your site and set up camp. Hopefully you have the canoe in sight or have it locked up.
And, you have to get that canoe up on the rack on top of your trailer, so you best carry a ladder.
Keep in mind that you can't really go anywhere else to paddle without dragging the trailer.
I carry a sixteen foot canoe on my Toyota RAV4 and have no problem with it making contact with the trailer. Don't know what your vehicle is, but there is probably no problem to solve and, if there is, there are better solutions than putting it atop the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Moonshadow2.jpg  
Old 09-20-2015, 03:33 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
With out structural support, I think the Trillium roof would be damaged. A good roof rack on the tow vehicle is the safer route. My canoe is 16'. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3343262435.jpg   image-725686521.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Nova Scotia
Registry
Someone in years gone by had mounted a rack of some kind on the roof of our Jubilee. Why oh why would a person put a hole in the roof of a fiberglass trailer. It resulted in a couple (of the 5) holes leaking over the years, resulting in having to replace the countertop, backsplash and the upright shelving units due to swelling and rot from water leaking in. I pulled the kitchen window and replaced the plywood structure as well. All five holes have been permanently cleaned up and repaired with silicone.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Oh, thank you all so much. Especially Glen Baglo...never thought of that. I have a 4-door jeep, so if all your SUVs can take it, then she can too. When I was shopping for a trailer, I looked at a Boler with a new front window because the owners canoe or kayak slammed into it while on their tow vehicle, so I had that image in my head.

Thanks again, all. I will endeavour to obtain a rack for my jeep instead.
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have the canoe tied on so that there is at least a foot of space between the canoe and trailer. Where you could get into trouble is when you have two canoes tied side-by-side and you are turning.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
.....All five holes have been permanently cleaned up and repaired with silicone.
ACCCCK! Keep a close eye on your repairs. You will have problems/issues sooner or later (which really means sooner than later).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Run the rack to the front.
Attached Thumbnails
KayakRack_01.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ACCCCK! Keep a close eye on your repairs. You will have problems/issues sooner or later (which really means sooner than later).
I guess I should elaborate. I removed the white rubber roof gunk he had slathered on the holes, shot some clear silicone adhesive on top and from the ceiling side behind the insulation, and capped each hole on top with a low profile domed plastic plug (button?). I don't foresee any problems... what is your experience. Any advice welcome.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote