Roof Sagging On Our Bigfoot TT ???? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #29
Trailer: Hunter 1 / Jeep Liberty
Kurt and Andrew,

Thanks for all the ideas. I am not quite ready to start this yet, but will soon. I have to do a lot more reading on fiberglass.

Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #30
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I have a sag in the front on my Hunter 1 (Compact II). It is right in front of the pop-up, but I don't have any cabinets inside to support. It is over the table in the middle. I do like the 1/2 tube ideal. But I also thought of a brace on both the inside and outside.

I just remembered this:

My Compact Jr. had a sagging roof along the left, or street side (Port side for you sailors ) This was because it was gutted when I bought it, and the wall between the galley and the bunk was removed.

Name:   trailer06.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  53.7 KB

I had never seen an intact Compact Jr. before I went about replacing the interior, so I did not realize that that wall would have supported the roof for the Compact Jr.'s full-length pop-top. I left it out.

The opening for the pop-top had a [b]4" high lip all the way around, to the outside of which I bolted a 2" x 2" x 8' angle iron along the two sides for strength. The fabric covered the angle iron on the outside.

Name:   SCEgg1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.9 KB

I was thinking about you adding an angle iron stiffener around the lip of your pop-top...
Attached Images

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:20 AM   #31
I have a sag in the front on my Hunter 1 (Compact II).
Oh, shoot - Linda, I do apologize that I completely failed to pay attention to the 'Hunter' part - a short circuit sonewhere in my brain had me believing it was the roof of a Boler you were trying to fix! Pretty much everything I wrote is quite innapropriate for your trailer - with such a (relatively) low roof, this sort of repair would be too noticeable.

I should perhaps stop poking my nose in, but I'll leave with a question: is the sag actually in just the flat panel in front of the pop-up, or is the front of the pop-up opening sagging too? The cures would be different.

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #32
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Bigfoot has a really interesting history of innovation and improvement in design. I haven't seen many trailers older than mine, and most that I've seen have been relatively new ones, but I wonder at what point they added the "double-hull" and foam insulation between? It sounds like their earlier construction was a simple single layer glass hull (standard construction) with large, flat areas that were essentially shored up with the inside structure and rafters covered by panelling. I think the two I have actually have inner and outer hulls (the inside may be fiberboard, but I think the core samples show fiberglass on both sides of the foam) filled with a rigid foam between. Since both of mine are new enough not to have issues yet, I haven't had to take them apart to see what's under the surface.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #33
Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
6) The next day, sand any bumps or spikes smooth - you won't get a smooth surface, all you're doing is knocking off the high spots. Now apply a generous coat (as thick as you can) of 'flow coat', overlapping the edge of the repair and covering any sanded area - 'flow coat' is gel coat resin, tinted about the right shade of white to match the existing roof, but it has a small amount of wax pre-mixed in it. This will provide the very best protection and watertightness - paint is definitely second-best to this. Without the wax, gel coat resin will never set, so if you can't get gel coat with wax in it (ie, flow coat), which you'd have to get from a fiberglass supply store, you'll have to use paint - a marine paint would be best.

Hello Andrew and all !! This is newbie , Mitch here. I have some fiberglass questions for you since you seemed to be the expert here.... We had to do some fiberglass repairs on the bottom of the fuselage where the awning brackets are bolted on. The holes where about the size of two golf balls side by side on each side.... We applied four layers of fiberglass mat and rezin stuff. It's been dry for quite a while now and we are ready to sand...Can we do this outdoors with sanding blocks or should we be using an electric sander ?? The largest section is a foot square. Should we wet sand it ??

We haven't searched for the flow coat or marine paint yet....Hopefully it won't be too hard to find here in Calgary...We don't have a lot of bodies of water here in the foothills of the Rockie Mountains...

Any advice would be great. Thanks all !! Mitch

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote