Roof Vent Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I bought my scamp a few days ago & the person said it did not leak. I washed it when I brought it home & maybe scrubbed the plastic vent too hard? I did notice it looked like it had a small crack in the middle flat part but I could not tell if it was bad enough to leak. It also looked as if someone tried to put extra caulking around the vent.

Is this a common issue? Is it a fixable problem? Would it get water in between the fiberglass & fabric material inside the Scamp to cause it to sag like it is in spots now?

Thanks for any information.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #2

Registry
duhh... I forgot to mention we had a light rain & it did leak. The only water I saw was coming from the edge of the frame/vent & down onto the bed.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
When I see any repairs around a vent I follow a rule, take it out and clean it up, do the install all over again with the butyl tape, reassemble after cleaning all surfaces with soapy water first, after it dries up follow with an acetone wipe off on THE TRAILER HULL ONLY....Acetone can dissolve some vents!!!!

Silicone/Urathane blends do work when formulated for fiberglass, but do not disassemble well and the tape will, the screws are important too, a dab of "Goop" (brand name) on the threads will stop leaks here too which is so often over looked in fan installs.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks Harry, I looked at the vent plastic & I am going to order a new one since it has some cracks etc. I will be sure to do what you mentioned when installing the new one.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp
just go to an rv place as long as its not the tiny 12 x 12 they should have one and it will save you in shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Thanks Harry, I looked at the vent plastic & I am going to order a new one since it has some cracks etc. I will be sure to do what you mentioned when installing the new one.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
First picture sums up what silicone caulk is all about.
Second picture sums up what butyl tape is all about.
Attached Thumbnails
holes06.jpg   hatch07a.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
If the vent mechanism and seal to the trailer is in good shape, you can change just the vent plastic top. Much less work.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Wow, that before picture looked like a real mess 8-(
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
seems there's 3 styles of plastic dome cover too. take a pic to take along with you. the replacements are stupid expensive at RV dealers but are available on-line if you can wait. I found they don't last long and UV takes its toll in a couple of years. the smaller 11x11 vents are only sold as complete units around here.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote