Roof Vent Leak on a 1980 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
I finally finished a three month redo on my new to me 80 Bigfoot 17'. Today with the first rain in 4 months it has become very clear that there is a leak around or in the roof vent. So help, please anyone, what do I do. Is it time to replace the vent-it is original, or do I just go crazy with butyl tape and caulking. My sense is if the vent is nearly 30 yrs old it is time it was replaced, not a job I want to do and worries me a bit, I have done everything else on this trailer but getting up on the roof gives be the he-bee, gee-bees. Not a fan of heights. Is replacing tthe vent a big job, and what steps do I take-believe me any help on this one would be a life-saver. Thanks R

ROIDON L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I don't know if this post will be any help to you, Roidon, but we also planned to not only replace the old vent with a new one, but add another 2way vent fan. We have a 13' scamp that has the original vent that is yellowing and starting to crack. I would be happy to see any advice in this area as we are not sure what we are getting into at this stage either. I do plan to install the awning rail and some inside upper cabinets first, to get the hang of working with the fiberglass and other materials before we take on the bigger job of replacing/installing the vents. I know it will be a lot of work, and important to get the seals right esp. with cutting a new hole in the roof.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I replaced the fan vent in my Horizon Trailer with a new one for free. If its a Fantastic you can send it back and they will rebuild it or send a new one for just the cost of shipping the old one back. If your roof is a little uneven like mine, put down a strip of butyl tape after you have cleaned the fiberglass real well. Then caulk around the flange on the outside of the new fan, you will be good to go. The new fan is nice and works just great. The people [at] Fantastic are just great to deal with , so even if your old fan isn't a Fantastic I would put a new one in anyway. Oh one other thing I filled all the old screw hole with tooth picks and glue, then when you screw in the new fan you will have a better contact with the fiberglass. Good Luck
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

Quote:
I don't know if this post will be any help to you, Roidon, but we also planned to not only replace the old vent with a new one, but add another 2way vent fan. We have a 13' scamp that has the original vent that is yellowing and starting to crack. I would be happy to see any advice in this area as we are not sure what we are getting into at this stage either. I do plan to install the awning rail and some inside upper cabinets first, to get the hang of working with the fiberglass and other materials before we take on the bigger job of replacing/installing the vents. I know it will be a lot of work, and important to get the seals right esp. with cutting a new hole in the roof.
I will keep you posted if I receive words of wisdom on how to do the project properly. My next step is to install an awning rail, after the vent repair. Thankfully the hole in the roof is already there and I just need to do a replacement. Good luck and Thanks R
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
I replaced the fan vent in my Horizon Trailer with a new one for free. If its a Fantastic you can send it back and they will rebuild it or send a new one for just the cost of shipping the old one back. If your roof is a little uneven like mine, put down a strip of butyl tape after you have cleaned the fiberglass real well. Then caulk around the flange on the outside of the new fan, you will be good to go. The new fan is nice and works just great. The people [at] Fantastic are just great to deal with , so even if your old fan isn't a Fantastic I would put a new one in anyway. Oh one other thing I filled all the old screw hole with tooth picks and glue, then when you screw in the new fan you will have a better contact with the fiberglass. Good Luck

You sir are a genius-many thanks!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
You sir are a genius-many thanks!!!!
Roidon, Wow I've been called many things but never that. Thanks Here is one other thing when you get your new fan and have taken the old one out. Place the new one in the opening and see if the holes line up with the new fan flange. If not then I would take some marine epoxy and fill the old holes in the roof. Then when you put the new fan in you can use a small drill bit for a starter holes in the new flange. Hope you can put the picture to my words. Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot