roof vent options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro
I am trying to restore a scamp? 13' with an empty 12x12 hole in the roof Are there any options that don't involve cutting the roof?
john flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I would cut the hole bigger and go with a standard vent. Easier to find replacement parts for when needed. Like when the cover doesn't get closed and it blows off....

Have you considered a Fantastic Vent?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
I would cut the hole bigger and go with a standard vent. Easier to find replacement parts for when needed. Like when the cover doesn't get closed and it blows off....

Have you considered a Fantastic Vent?

Thanks, Lizbeth but I am reluctant to cut that lip off!
Jay
john flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would too. I believe the standard vent size is 14 by 14 -- so it would be quite easy to trim it out from the 12 by 12.

But don't take my word for it. Any trailer supply would have standard size vents in stock. So measure your new vent just to be sure.

If you really want to go first class, spend a couple hundred or so and acquire one of the units with a built-in fan. The one I have is a MaxAir and while it set me back more than I'd like to admit, it sure is nice in warm weather and for exhausting cooking odors. I highly recommend it.

Another option is to use a standard vent, then mount a small 12 volt box fan in it. Wally mart has one that can run on eight D-cells or 12 volt that might just be the ticket. If they had been available at the time I bought my MaxAir, I'm quite sure I'd have gone with the Wally mart one.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
John,
That roof vent also serves as the emergency exit in a 13' Scamp. A Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir will not serve that purpose. We replaced our original roof vent with another standard vent, but also added a Fantastic Fan over the galley area. Works for us!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
12"x12" is not an escape hatch....at least not one I would fit through. Why would one even need an escape hatch in a 13 fter? If bigfoot tipped it over onto it's door at night?

It's late and I'm a little slap happy!

Jay what lip? Pictures might be required.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
12"x12" is not an escape hatch....at least not one I would fit through. Why would one even need an escape hatch in a 13 fter? If bigfoot tipped it over onto it's door at night?

It's late and I'm a little slap happy!

Jay what lip? Pictures might be required.
I've wondered that too.... like could I really hoist myself up and crawl out the roof top and why would I even need to? What if under some freak accident of some sort... blown down tree, or a car that careened into the campsite blocked the door? I suppose you could get out a window, maybe by breaking the glass. But the egress vent IS big enough for me to get my amble rear up and through. AND without damaging any window, etc. Every building (of any type) that serves as sleeping quarters, has by law certain regulations for escape.... like two doors in every house, etc. I suppose this is Scamp's answer to those regulations. Besides, I kinda like the big vent, lots of air
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
I'm not a fat guy, but i'm a big guy. I don't think i'd be getting my shoulders through any roof vent. working in construction i have a hard time walking sideways through a wall with open studs, and they're 16" apart!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I'm not a fat guy, but i'm a big guy. I don't think i'd be getting my shoulders through any roof vent. working in construction i have a hard time walking sideways through a wall with open studs, and they're 16" apart!
Have you checked with scamp to see if they sell replacements?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
From the Scamp parts store:
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/search...earchTerm=vent

no 12x12 though
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote