Roof vent size for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I am looking for a vent cover for our Trillium to allow keeping it open in rainy weather, and possibly some sort of low-power fan to help with air circulation. The roof opening for the existing vent is about 10"x10" or so, but it seems that all the new fancy shmancy vents out there that are equipped with fans and/or vent covers are designed for 14"x14" openings, and a relatively thick roof. Are there any smaller fan systems out there, or did you all need to enlarge the opening?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
The smaller roof vent on the Trilliums was a bit of an oddity. I don't know if that size was used on older Airstreams or if it was originally designed as a side mounted power vent, without the fan and motor. These were spring loaded so that they popped open when the chain was released, and if they had the integral fan, it would turn on as the vent was popped open.

The best bet would be to cut the opening to suit the current 14" vents. Watch how you trim the opening so that you don't have a problem with sealing around the slightly raised section molded into the top of the roof. With the newer fan driven units, get one with the most shallow mounting, then you can usually trim a little more off and/or make a nice decorative wood shim to fill in the balance from inside. Also don't forget to use a good butyl sealing tape as part of the installation.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
My Burro (and the Escape) uses an Elixir mini-vent. It does not have a fan, but I have added a small one to it.

It is meant for a 9x9inch cutout. If this would fit your trailer, you might send me a PM, because I have modified it slightly and the changes may be useful for you.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
My Burro (and the Escape) uses an Elixir mini-vent. It does not have a fan, but I have added a small one to it.

It is meant for a 9x9inch cutout. If this would fit your trailer, you might send me a PM, because I have modified it slightly and the changes may be useful for you.
I googled the Elixir mini-vent and that's pretty close to what I already have, but mine is made out of original aluminium. I also just saw your other thread on the topic. But unless I missed something, the Elixir also seems to lack rain-shielding capability, n'est-ce pas? In that case, my preference would be to keep my existing vent, as I really appreciate the fact that it doesn't degrade over time and the spring-loaded cover still works like a charm after 34 years. That goes well with my quest to preserve as many original (read: durable, non-plastic) parts as possible. MaxxAir-type lids might do the trick if I can't find anything better, but seem disproportionally huge for such a small vent. As for the cutting option, I'm keeping it as a last resort.

I wouldn't mind finding out what you've done as far as adding a small fan (type, size, amps, noise level, etc.). Also, did you do anything to help with rain-shielding?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Daniel:
I installed a small computer fan covering about 1/4 the total open and screened area. There is no shielding from the rain (I used to have a FantasticFan in the kitchen, as of yesterday replaced with a MaxxFan). The rest of the screened opening is semi-permanently covered by two pieces of clear acrylic.

The larger vent does the duty when it is raining. If you need rain-shielding for the smaller vent you might do a search for one or make one, but I'm not aware of of any commercially available. If your current vent is of good quality I'd be tempted to keep it too, since the Elixir is not really made for the ages.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The smaller roof vent on the Trilliums was a bit of an oddity. I don't know if that size was used on older Airstreams or if it was [b]originally designed as a side mounted power vent, without the fan and motor. These were spring loaded so that they popped open when the chain was released, and if they had the integral fan, it would turn on as the vent was popped open.
That sounds just like the vent over the kitchen stove I used to have in a 1960's Mobile Home.

Tags
trillium