Roofing Tar? Really? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: Cloud
Florida
Registry
Post Roofing Tar? Really?

The P-PO of my Cloud had major leaking problems. So he globbed roofing tar over the "headband" (Cloud seams go over the top), when it still was full of water he put handfuls of caulking over the roofing tar, followed by many coats of spray paint. Any ideas on how to get this mess stripped off w/o melting my camper?

BTW the leak was never resolved because the dummy had put the roof vent (the cover had lots of play) in backwards. Hinge at back with open side forward. It also never entered his mind that seam was 'glassesd closed on the interior.
cannibal53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, there should be a special section of hell for people who do stuff like that to innocent trailers. My guess is that the tar and spray paint could be softened and removed by liberal application of mineral spirits. This probably won't bother the fiberglass at all but you might want to test it first anyway. Acetone is not recommended since it will dissolve the trailer. A solvent for the caulking would depend on the type but it sounds like it will come away with the tar..
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd use a very carefully controlled heat gun and a wide bladed putty knife to remove the bulk of the mess, followed by wiping with a rag saturated with whatever seems to dissolve/lift the residue. Experiment with different solvents on some of the goop you removed to decide what works.

Do NOT leave any solvent just sitting on the surface of the fiberglass for a nanosecond longer than it takes to lift the bad stuff away, and wipe/wash the newly exposed clean surface well immediately.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had an escape hatch/vent sealed just like that by a PO. I ended up installing a larger escape hatch/vent. It worked out that all of the tar stained fiberglass was covered by the new frame and decor sealant.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gina's Leocraft had roofing tar all over the top too. She removed it with plain ole Coke Classic. Getting the paint off first... you might want to try a paint remover designed for fiberglass like Soy Gel paint remover... which the big box stores carry. Rather than scraping with anything metal, I'd use a plexiglass ice scrapper. Don't gouge at the gelcoat...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Rather than scraping with anything metal, I'd use a plexiglass ice scrapper. Don't gouge at the gelcoat...
The big box stores also sell plastic putty knives that might work for this application.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
I'll probably end up trying all your ideas, but I think I'll start in the Home Depot paint department. After all the sanding I've done, a stripper sounds kinda nice. BTW there are pics in the Cloud gallery. Thanks for all the info.

Joel
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
What a mess they made, when all they had to do was ASK questions first so they could do it right!! Please post progress photos!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Donna is correct, I had exactly the same issue as you. I had roofing tar on every penetration and all over where the previous PO tried to seal leaks and cracks.

I spent close to two weeks on my roof after work with...Coke. Plain old coke. Actually it was just Cola from the dollar store..not even real Coke. Pour it directly on the tar and watch it bubble and melt..then scrape away the blobs of the gooey mess.

To clean the residual, I used Goof Off and then cleaned the entire roof with acetone.

Acetone is perfectly fine to clean with. Wipe it off quickly and do not let is sit and pool. It will evaporate quickly as well. I have cleaned and sealed dozens of RVs this way as an RV tech at a dealership and had no issues with it eating through anything.

It's messy, not fun and will teach you new words. But after much research, this was the most effective solution I found. It's not hard, it's just time consuming.
Attached Thumbnails
tarcoke.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #10

Registry
I'm not a Coke, Cola, or any sort of a Soda drinker, but I've heard of using Coke for many things that need 'disolving'..... funny to think that people actually drink that stuff (LOL)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Well, folks after several long days, the headband is about cleaned. I used a sharp scraper, cheap cola, and Goof Off. Cola didn't work as well as I hoped because the tar was covered in paint, but after scraping, some cola and a Goof Off cleaning, I'm satisfied. BTW if I had a name/address for the inventor of Goof Off, I'd send him/her a fruit basket. The stuff is amazing.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
This brings something new to mind. Anyone know where I can get a nice "chrome" trim to fit over the headband?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #13

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Actually it was just Cola from the dollar store..not even real Coke.
I for one will be very disappointed if this thread doesn't degenerate into a "my favourite brand of cola is a better roofing tar stripper than your favourite brand of cola" thread....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal53 View Post
This brings something new to mind. Anyone know where I can get a nice "chrome" trim to fit over the headband?
I've wondered that question myself. All that I've ever found is black or white.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm not sure what the "geography" of the seam is, but:

Flexible "chrome" side trim for cars/trucks might work. It's available in various widths and comes in rolls. link to one source here

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If you want an exact, (Or as exact as possible) replacement, tryRV Doctor George

He ships..he's a curmudgeon, but a loveable one and there have been very few times when I was skunked for a vintage part here.

You can send him a picture and if he has it, he'll find it.

*I am not an employee or in anyway promoting his business..just relaying my best source for old stuff.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
The seam is approx 5/16 wide and stands up about 1/4 to 5/16. Ideally I need to find something that would fit around this ridge.