Rooftop AC for my Burro? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Burro
Rooftop AC for my Burro?

According to the paperwork my burro was supposed to have an extra 14 inch vent for a future ac install but that was never done. I can still see the sharpie marks where it was intended to go.

I am considering putting in rooftop air in, just because the window unit is a bit of a pain to put in and take out when I travel.

I am wondering about the burro seam on the roof. How is that deal with? If someone has a burro with rooftop air, could I get a close up pic?

Many thanks.
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Now why would anybody need AC in NORTH Carolina ? LOL

My son lives in the North East corner of N.C. so I do understand.

Bill K

QUOTE=joelh;225096]According to the paperwork my burro was supposed to have an extra 14 inch vent for a future ac install but that was never done. I can still see the sharpie marks where it was intended to go.

I am considering putting in rooftop air in, just because the window unit is a bit of a pain to put in and take out when I travel.

I am wondering about the burro seam on the roof. How is that deal with? If someone has a burro with rooftop air, could I get a close up pic?

Many thanks.[/QUOTE]
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
I had a 1999 Burro 17 wide body, and the A/C was mounted over the rear dinette. I will include a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
1999 Burro 17' wide body 008.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 011.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 012.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 015.jpg  

Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
I had a 1999 Burro 17 wide body, and the A/C was mounted over the rear dinette. I will include a picture.

Thanks Mark! was the seam cut away so the the unit sits flush or are there blocks to stabilize it?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelh View Post
Thanks Mark! was the seam cut away so the the unit sits flush or are there blocks to stabilize it?
The lip was ground away so that the seal under the A/C unit would seal correctly.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

Excellent!, just what I needed to know. BTW, I am doing Maguires fiberglass restore this weekend, so hopefully my burro will look like your pics next week.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelh View Post
Excellent!, just what I needed to know. BTW, I am doing Maguires fiberglass restore this weekend, so hopefully my burro will look like your pics next week.

I used Red Max floor finish on this Burro. It worked great and looked better than new when it was finished.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Be sure you have a strong mounting frame

It might be helpful if you could peek up under the interior duct to see what provisions they made for mounting. In my U-Haul VT16, they framed out the opening with 2x4s (cut down to about 2x3) and added some galvanized steel covering to protect the wood. The bolts that run up from the interior vent to the rooftop AC unit will try to squeeze things together, so it needs some strong support here!

(I no longer have roof AC, but a swamp cooler. The black wires you see going through the frame are DC power and water connections because I am using the headliner as a raceway for the roof mounted equipment) In the photo below I removed the vent cover, which mounts on light studs, not the relatively large bolts used to hold a 100lb AC unit in place! You can see the galvanized plates, a hint of a 2x4, and you're looking up into the hood of the swamp cooler. That black circular thingy on the left top of the photo is the foam filter that humidifies the air. The fan spins in there and spews water out on the foam core of the filter. I don't think a swamp cooler would work very well in your climate, but I wanted you to know what you're seeing here!)

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul Roof AC.jpg  

Tags
burro