Rookie Hunter Compact Owner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #29

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The one Bob posted is also not the original interior- I tried to find pics of mine but haven't succeeded yet. Anyway, it was the same cabinet facing, same color sink and stove, just different layout for cabinets and drawers than the longer galley in one of the Compacts or the bathroom version. Gas light (Coleman) is on the left side (facing forward toward the car) between galley and gaucho. The yellow shown in Bob's picture is what the original canvas looks like.

I like the stripe on yours.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #30

Name: Eric
Trailer: Hunter Compact
Minnesota
Ok. What do you think the value of it is as it sits now? Everything works. I am going to fix it up nice though.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Value for these rigs largely depends on the wants and needs of the buyer. If they want a basic camper, appreciate the advantages of it being molded fiberglass and small, a basic starting price in June (peak price month) should be about $3000+ in California for road ready rig.

However, if they are expecting a fully equipped RV, with modern electrics, trailer brakes, hot water, a loo and a flatscreen TV, if they are at all interested, that buyer might be generous to offer $1000.

Last year there were two Campsters (Renamed CampStar) that were redone something crazy in the Spokane area that the seller was asking $10,000 each for. I believe one sold for about $7500, I don't know about the other one.

As for my own Compact-II, I might take $7500, but that's just becasue after 2 years work I really don't want to sell it anyway. Here's a few pics: advocateone's Library | Photobucket

Anyway, just follow the prices on the link Fiberglass RV's for sale and also look in the SOLD trailers pulldown for typical prices, and follow up and see what they actually sold for.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #32

Minnesota
Really? I paid $300 for my 10ft. I needs few repairs. Your saying it could be worth about $3000?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #33

California
Yep, if road ready, new tires, bearings packed, no rust underneath, no repairs needed and all appliances working, it could bring that price easily in California in June-July.

However, you will have to subtract for any condition issues & location as you have a much smaller group of buyers to draw from than we have in SoCal. the RV capital of the Planet, not to mention time of year. In MN in January you would be lucky to get any bites at $1000, especially if there are any condition issues.

Just follow the prices in fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and you will get an idea of asking and sales prices...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #34

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esherman19 View Post
Really? I paid $300 for my 10ft. I needs few repairs. Your saying it could be worth about $3000?
Definitely. Though yours is one of the best deals I've heard of (next to free), deals do show up for roadworthy Campsters in the $1000 range, but most are higher (>$2500) and over $4000 when fixed up.

Repairs can add up, though. Cushions are a big one, canvas is another, tires usually need replacing. Floor is cheap (and in a Campster, usually in pretty good shape.) There can be a sag on the roof (not a huge problem) and the popup mechanism can be in bad shape (in mine the springs just break- I've done three now, I think, so just one to go.) (Simpler popup than the Compact, though.) If it has the fridge instead of an icebox, it can probably be repaired cheaply enough. Mine had to have a minor repair to the leaf springs and (still) has no battery. I think if I knew what I know now and were just looking to buy, I would consider $3000 for one that was fixed up nicely a very good deal.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #35

Minnesota
How does the refrigerator work? I can't figure it if its gas or electric. I don't see a pilot hole for lighting, but I don't see a dial for turning it on either.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #36

Washington
Registry
Mine is an icebox, so I can't help you there. If it is an icebox, you'll see a top plastic shelf with sides, and a drain tube leading out from it. That's for the ice and it drains out to the outside (under the trailer.) Though I'd pour a little water in and make sure before loading it up with ice as that tube could come undone. If it is a fridge it should have some kind of motor or controls, not sure what kind of fridge was put in originally, plus it could have been added later.

If it is a fridge I think the vent and controls are outside.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esherman19 View Post
How does the refrigerator work? I can't figure it if its gas or electric. I don't see a pilot hole for lighting, but I don't see a dial for turning it on either.
Does your trailer have a louvered hatch on the exterior directly to the back of the refigerator? If no, it's either only electric (dorm style) or an icebox.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #38

Minnesota
Thank you. Mine does not vent out. I bet its an icebox. That explains a few things. Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #39

California
At that age most, but not all LP/Electric refrigerators have become coolers as the refrigeration circuit leaks down, usually from a rusty pipe. They are not repairable.
But, look on the outside, behinf the refrigerator, if there is a large vent panel open it and look inside. If there is an LP refrigerator let us know the model number from the tag in front and someone will come up with a manual for you. DO NOT try to light it off unil you get instructions, nasty fires have occured.

That said, there is a 75+% chance that it an icebox anyway.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #40

Minnesota
Perfect. I thinks it's an icebox too. There is no access panel or vent
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #41

Minnesota
How many years was the Trails West Campster made for?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #42

California
Just from advertisements I am guessing that all of the mini-box pop-ups (For lack of a better name) like the Campster, Hunters etc, were built between 1970 and 1974. I have seen one advertised as a 75 but that may have been an after-year sale or a registration error.