rookie questions - Escape as tow vehicle, and Scamp v Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Minnesota
We tow a 1990 Scamp 16 foot layout 4, front bunks side bath, with a 2002 Ford Escape towing package, V6 aoto. We never tow in overdrive and try to keep it 60-65 and have no problems. The one thing I have noticed is the Escapes come with the small receiver which is stamped 350# very few of the balls and tongues are rated for 350#. Otherwise with care you have enough vheicle to have a good time. One after thought level your trailer and balance your load.
Jim
minnfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #22

Name: Azer
Trailer: Scamp 16', 2007
Colorado
Escape + 16' Scamp - hitch and sway bar needs?

hi,

I recently purchased a 16' Scamp (Plan 4, bunks in front) and I have an Escape (2010 V6 3L). Thanks to many folks for their great guidance on weight and related issues!! I plan to get a brake controller.
-Should I get a weight distribution hitch, or regular hitch ok?
-If I get a weight distribution hitch does that mean there is no need to get anti-sway bar? Do you recommend anti-sway bar?
-Do I need to have the Ford Dealership put the tow hardware on the truck, or can I have an RV place do that?
-I am in Fort Collins CO, but am considering using Bolder RV - anyone know if they are good or recommend somewhere in particular for RV service stuff in Boulder-Fort Collins area?

Azer
Azer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
The first two pieces of advice:

NEVER - ever, ever (and not even then!) Go to the car $tealership for something like that; and
If at all possible - avoid RV $tealerships, too!

U-Haul is likely the very best and cheapest place to get a hitch installed. They do them by the thousands, they are experienced, knowledgeable and have access to every brand around. If U-Haul does not do break controllers, (I am told that some do, some do not) you may have to go to an RV place for that part

You should only need a weight distributing hitch if the tongue weight of your trailer is too much for your tug to be comfortable with. However - if you feel you need one - check to see if your Scamp tongue is strong enough to take the stress of a WD hitch - many smaller RV tongues are not and some trailer manufacturers specifically prohibit their use.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #24

Colorado
hi, thanks again for all your help.

I went to an after market (non-dealer) place to get my hitch and brake controller installed today. They were very nice, but also raised the concern that my Escape may be too small of a tow vehicle for the trailer. I'm hoping they don't realize how light the Scamp is compared to others, and that I'll be ok in this regard. I have another thread in the Owners helping Owners forum where a number of folks thought the Escape would be ok.
1. They mentioned that I should upgrade from passenger to a higher grade (light truck?) tires. Do you agree with that?
2. Also, what are your thoughts on whether I need a weight distribution hitch (someone in the forum said that such a hitch may be too heavy for my scamp?) and/or anti-sway bar?
3. Also I missed the boat on the Factory Tow Package - I can have a hitch put on now and then the difference will be that the factory package has a larger transmission cooler. The after market place was going to put one on for me, but then they looked under the hood and said I already have a decent capacity transmission cooler and so no point to add an additional (smaller one). Comments?

Thanks,
Azer
Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #25

Colorado
hi,
Thanks for these comments. I got a bit demoralized this morning when I went to a shop (helpful folks) to get the hitch, brake controller etc. When they learned I wanted to pull a 16' trailer with the Escape they said they could do the job but really didn't recommend towing so much with the Escape. I hope they just don't realize that the Scamp will be quite different from a regular trailer...
0. The weights check out, and several folks have said this combination is reasonable as long as I have reasonable expectations on speed etc. Thoughts?
1. I didn't get the factory tow package. I can now have a hitch put on. The cooler is confusing. I believe the tow package provides a larger (or additional) transmission cooler. The shop I was working with (who is very helpful) at first thought we should put an additional cooler on mine, but after looking under the hood said I the Escape already has a pretty high capacity cooler and so no point to add an additional one. Comments?
2. Do you have a recommendation for what grade of tires I should use? I currently have passenger grade and they said to upgrade to light truck (I think). Comments?
3. For Scamp 16 with the Escape, should I use a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bar?

thanks,
Azer
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Axer, if you are saying that your car already has a transmission cooler than I dont see why you would need a second one unless as you say Ford requires a bigger or different one but you should check with your Ford dealer on that point. They are the only ones that should answer that question for you to protect your warranty.

What you did not mention was whether or not you had a brake wiring and controller installed - you will need it if your going to tow a 16' scamp.

As far as tires go - I wouldnt change them unless the tire folks or Ford are saying whats on your car are not rated for that amount of weight you will be putting on them - I would check with my Ford dealer on that point or a tire shop as again they really are the only ones that can answer that question for you. But as a side note I dont use light truck tires on the vehicle I tow with.

If you stow your trailer correctly and have appropriate tongue weight to prevent sway & stay under 60 you shouldnt actually need a sway bar but they are easy enough to install & its not a bad thing to have if you wish to play it safe. You may want to tow your trailer a couple of times to see how it feels before deciding if you really need one.

In regards to the weight distribution hitch you should follow what ever Ford says in their towing guidelines. If you are able to load your trailer up well balanced without going over the specs of tongue weight and axle limits then you may not need one unless Ford says you do.

My Scamp 16' is a side bath with no ac, only one battery and one propane tank. Loaded for me (which is not a lot of stuff) with food and clothing and kitchen items etc it weighs in at 2500lbs total. To reduce sway issues of that total about 250lbs of that should be tongue weight - more weight on the tongue is better than less. I should also mention that that 2500lbs does not include any water in the holding tanks.

You will have to figure out if your tow vehicle is rated to tow that amount with all your passengers etc in it.

Edit: Re the Weight Distribution system - that is something you can add later. You would be best to find the trailer that meets your weight specs with your vehicle loaded with passengers and then see how it all looks when hooked up & your passengers and gear in the car - unless Ford says you need to have one regardless. Tow vehicles should be fairly level when the trailer is attached - if it isnt then a weight distribution system would be required - assuming the trailer manufacturer and the car manufacture allow the use of them - not all do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer View Post
They were very nice, but also raised the concern that my Escape may be too small of a tow vehicle for the trailer.
What does your owners manual say for the options in your vehicle? The manual for mine has 64 different specifications for towing based on the various options that year.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Indeed, most folks are used to thinking that only trucks can tow trailers, and the bigger the truck the better. Yet your Escape has lower center of gravity and is more maneuverable than a pickup. And the Scamp will move through the air more easily than the typical trailer. Give it a try; go camping someplace an hour or two away (take that trailer for a 'shakedown') and see for yourself how it feels to tow with the Escape.

Regarding tires, you should be ok. "Light truck" tires may have higher weight capacities, but you can look at your sidewalls for the current capacities and add them up and compare to your vehicle's loaded weight. Unless you're pretty close to their limit, I don't see a problem. Next time you need new tires, though, you can opt for slightly lower profile tires if you feel you want to improve handling; less sidewall "give" results in a somewhat firmer ride but also allows the vehicle less side-to-side wiggle (the tail can't wag the dog as easily). On further reflection, I suppose it's possible that LT tires might have stiffer sidewalls (and run with higher air pressure), so maybe that's a good option for your next set of tires. But unless it feels unsteady to you when towing, I wouldn't suggest replacing good tires before they are close to done. You do want to run your tires at or near their max recommended inflation rate, though, while towing. That's because lower air pressure results in lower-than-rated carrying capacity.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer View Post
hi,
Thanks for these comments. I got a bit demoralized this morning when I went to a shop (helpful folks) to get the hitch, brake controller etc. When they learned I wanted to pull a 16' trailer with the Escape they said they could do the job but really didn't recommend towing so much with the Escape. I hope they just don't realize that the Scamp will be quite different from a regular trailer...
0. The weights check out, and several folks have said this combination is reasonable as long as I have reasonable expectations on speed etc. Thoughts?
1. I didn't get the factory tow package. I can now have a hitch put on. The cooler is confusing. I believe the tow package provides a larger (or additional) transmission cooler. The shop I was working with (who is very helpful) at first thought we should put an additional cooler on mine, but after looking under the hood said I the Escape already has a pretty high capacity cooler and so no point to add an additional one. Comments?
2. Do you have a recommendation for what grade of tires I should use? I currently have passenger grade and they said to upgrade to light truck (I think). Comments?
3. For Scamp 16 with the Escape, should I use a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bar?

thanks,
Azer
I have Michelin Hydroedge tires on 17" rims on my Escape.
They work well towing my 13 Scamp Deluxe. They have also upgraded the handling, comfort and traction of the Escape to another class level. I now have 45000 miles on them and it looks like they will easily make the 90,000mile warranty.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #30

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Tires and WDH

Azar,
The folks were likely recommending that you go to Light truck tires because of the stiffer side wall as well as added weight capacity.
Flexing sidewalls can contribute to sway of the TV and can be passed along to the trailer, which in turn may begin to sway and pass that sway back to the TV.

Sway can multiply real fast. Also be sure your trailer tires have stiff sidewalls for the same reason.

WDHs are a controversy all their own. While they do help to lift the rear of the TV, they also cause a lot of stress on the frame of the TV as well as the tongue of the trailer. I suspect your Escape is a un-ibody design with no separate frame, as are most front wheel drive vehicles.
It won't take as much "Stress" as a vehicle with separate frame.
If the rear of the Escape "sags", I would personally look into beefing up the rear suspension, rather than using a WDH.

FWIW, a WDH came with our 03 Casita. I weighed all the components.
Total weight is 70 lbs. That is an additional 70 lbs to tow around. We don't use it.

But thats just my opinion. A lot of folks use WDHs with uni-body mini vans and "seem" to have no problems. But I have read of occasional problems with the TV or the trailer tongue from using a WDH..

Whatever you do, be sure to keep the trailer in good balance. At least 10% (more is better) of the total weight on the hitch. Moving weight to the rear of the trailer to lighten the hitch weight is inviting disaster.
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #31

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I've been towing a 17' Casita with a 2007 V6 Escape for the last three years and never had a bit of problems. This includes numerous trips into the mountains, trips with four or five passengers, and four adults taking the trailer to Big Bend National Park on the Mexican border and back (2200 miles total). There's even been a few times where I ended up taking the trailer down 4WD roads where I probably shouldn't haven't been. To me, that combination is just about perfectly matched.

I average about 17 or 18 mpg on flat lands and about 22 without the trailer. Obviously, heading up I-70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel with a full load is going to be somewhat less. The OP is welcome to PM me if he has questions.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape, scamp