Rope and Pole Awning Safety Ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Rope and Pole Awning Safety Ideas

I made a new rope and pole awning for my Scamp. I hope to get some good use out of it. My concerns though are ropes that attach to the poles and stakes. I have 3 poles. What a trip hazard, especially at dusk or night. Has anyone come up with a great idea to make the ropes more visible to help prevent unexpected trip to the ER. I'm wondering if one of the solar rope lights would help if run and clipped to the ropes. Any other suggestions that have worked for you. Or am I just a worry wart.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Do you mean something like this? I haven't tried it but the price seems fair for an experimental experience!

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-48795-Glow-Dark-Rope/dp/B004YWELBE
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

California
Registry
That's worth a try. Basically people just don't watch where they're walking (especially after a glass of wine at the campfire). I think it would even be good to have something there to call attention to it during the day too. Maybe a windsock at each corner and put the cooler or chairs by the middle one. There's such great ideas on this forum, I'm sure I'll get some other good ideas and go with the best.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Some people have tied the yellow 'warning' tape in several places on the rope. But I'm not real worried about it, most campers are looking out for them. I haven't had anyone trip on mine in the past 5 years of camping.

Besides, Its probably more dangerous just driving to the campground in your car.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
If your pole height and tension is right, you can get by with less ropes. I have used only two with that kind of set up. Suggest a solar light outside your trailer at night,
less trip fall when you go a wondering. HA!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Harbor Freight has the phosphorescent polyprope rope for cheap.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #7

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
just pay attention...I was boondocking over the weekend and no one even had tiki's out and I managed wandering back to my caravan pretty inebriated lol. I suggest white rops, more visible in dim light then beige.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had some outdoor chrismas lights on the canopy that was over our Uhaul and ran them down the guy ropes a ways. They worked good to light up the site, we shut them off when we went to bed. Saw some solar light turtles at a store, bought 2, converted them to 110 night lights, and left them on all night for just a little light on our site. And since we were "winter guests" we were provided with a sign post with an automatic light on it, our name, and an image of our state. I've seen that reflective rope at Campmor too, thinking about getting some as we also use guy ropes on our screen room and EZ Up type canopy.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Could add some kind of lantern right in front of or attached to the pole so people have no excuse to not see it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

California
Registry
Thanks for the ideas and resources. I also saw that Harbor Freight has the solar rope LED lights on sale. I plan to go by there this week to get a few things, so I'll get some of the reflective roap and the LED rope lights and give each of them a try. I'll mostly be boondocking so I want to keep it Solar, 12v, reflective or wind movement.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Could add some kind of lantern right in front of or attached to the pole so people have no excuse to not see it.
You don't know my friends (LOL). I do have some little lanterns that could work too. Read about your windy travels. Scarry! We've done some white knuckle driving on windy days too in our 25' Airstream. I felt your pain. Let us know what changes you end up making. Bottom line though, in real high wind situations everyone has issues pulling (well almost everyone). Stay safe.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Linda, this is still a learning curve for me... first time I experienced some real wind... it was coming out of the south, and I was traveling west there and east home. When I headed directly into it for brief times it was fine... just like a boat takin waves over the bow... but when you take them abeam its alot rougher.

Im leaning towards a wd hitch with anti sway bar... better to be safe then sorry and I want to be prepared for it. Im planning on replaceing my propane tanks with composite fiberglass ones so I can see through it... would save 20 some pounds that way which means I can carry more up front to keep the bulk of my weight there.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Im leaning towards a wd hitch with anti sway bar... better to be safe then sorry and I want to be prepared for it. Im planning on replaceing my propane tanks with composite fiberglass ones so I can see through it... would save 20 some pounds that way which means I can carry more up front to keep the bulk of my weight there.
I've been looking into both of the same changes/adds. Since there's a few $s involved though and I've already spent a LOT of money on my little "Rhinestone Bunkhouse", I've decided to put them on my list for next years mods. You'd think with our little lightweight trailers there'd be no issues. But I've found because they are so light and small the slightest deviation throws the whole thing off--that goes for tongue and rear weight changes as well as backing up. Its so much eaiser to back up a larger trailer in my opinion. But I'm learning and by reading everyones comment on the forum I'm learning what to do and what not to do.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah Linda, I wanted my last big purchase for now to be a solar panel for the roof to keep my batteries topped off... well the wdh being safety equiptment is now bumped to the top for must have's. Well there goes my OT check next week lol...well its why I work so hard!

Propane will get pushed off for a bit... but actually next month I only need to drive around with 1 tank since its only really gonna be fridge use and sometimes for hotwater...which by the way in sub freezing temps my water stayed pretty hot for several hours after the water heater was turned off!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Walmart has stick-in-the-ground solar pathway lights for less than $3 each. And/or get a bright color pool noodle, cut a slit and slide it over the guy lines. There's many ways of accomplishing the same thing. You'll find one that works for you I'm sure
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #16

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I don't use rope on mine I use tie down straps like these. they are easy to see and easy to adjust!
USA Progrip® Quick Release Cambuckle Tie Down (412080) - Tie Down Straps - Ace Hardware
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Yeah Linda, I wanted my last big purchase for now to be a solar panel for the roof to keep my batteries topped off... well the wdh being safety equiptment is now bumped to the top for must have's. Well there goes my OT check next week lol...well its why I work so hard!
Yep, safety first! Its so worth putting that OT check toward the extra piece of mind. Its good to prioritize
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #18

California
Registry
Donna, I love the idea of the pool noodle. If you don't see that staring at ya, you've got problems. Very creative.

Jason, the tie down solution is a great idea too, and I usually carry them in my truck.

My husband calls me gadget girl. I'm always looking for the best solution for everythihg and have every gadget to prove it. I think it comes from being a girl scout--"be prepared" is my moto too. Hub teases me about it, but he's happy when I'm able to save the day. Last summer, I saved our camping trip when we had a burst pipe (didn't winterize well enough), and I pulled out the epoxy putty that held the pex together with additional special tape.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #19

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Paracord is pretty good too. Comes with reflective tracers (easy to see with a flash light) and glows in the dark too. Great for tents, don't know how heavy duty of rope you need for an awning...

Amazon.com: Reflective & Glow in Dark Nylon Paracord - 7 Strand 550 Type III Commercial Grade: Sports & Outdoors
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #20

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I use reflective rope for backpacking and it works pretty well but not as good as having light. Search for reflective cord or reflective rope on amazon or your favorite place. Here is an example: link
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning