Rosie the Riveter...How do you replace a rivet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Okay, in trying to make a decision about what fiberglass camper to buy, I understand that some are made of one piece of fiberglass (the Escape and I believe also Bigfoot), while others are two pieces riveted together at a center seam (Casita, Scamp). I see postings on various websites about having to replace "popped" rivets. When I think of a rivet, I think of Levi's jeans and how the rivets have a back part and a front part. So question is:

How do you replace a rivet that comes out of the exterior or interior of your camper when the inside of the old rivet may have fallen out of place and would be covered up by insulation or cabinets, etc. What secures the new rivet into place? Also, how do you seal the rivet to avoid any water leakage around the head of it?

Thanks for illuminating me...

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
The standard rivet is selfworked from one side only, the finish side.
Finish side meaning that will look flat when rivet is installed.
To get old rivet out:
Drill The center of rivet with 1/8 drill till the head comes off.
You can buy rivets in all diameters so if hole has been worn to a larger size you will need to re-drill and buy the rivet that will fit the hole you drill and then pop this in from finish side and use tool to set it.
I seal will some silicone applied with a toothpick around edge and in center to keep the job neat.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: If you buy an Escape trailer you won't have to worry about that prospect!!! I can only dream of owning such a beautiful Fiberglass Trailer as the new Escape 5.0 and a new 4ltr. V6 Ford Ranger Tug For now I am working away on our 77 Boler replacing all rivets with S/S machine bolts and acorn nuts on the inside for trim/looks. When I added our Maxx Fan to replace the roof vent I used the S/S screws supplied with the fan and added Weather seal washers which are waterproof...but expensive!!! What can I say..."It's a labour of Love" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just to give more info....the Casitas and Scamps are not riveted at the belly band...they're fiberglassed there. What is riveted through the outside shell is all the "furnishings." Burros are double hull (some with insulation in between the sandwich), consequently no rivets through the outside hull.

BigFoot and Escape are single hull (but still two halves put together somewhere in the middle), and have "blocks" fiberglass on the inside where the furnishings are riveted (I think they're riveted)

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Here's an old topic with some pretty specific riveting instructions.

And another.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Thank you all. I feel a little (but only a little) less daunted. I had quite a discussion with Natalie at Escape yesterday and she emailed me some photos of their demolding process. Said they only make 4-5 trailers each month and that their quality control is very anal. They really sound like a terrific company with integrity and pride in what they do.

That said, we are trying to figure out if we could realistically budget an Escape fiver in addition to a brand new tow vehicle... don't need to create undue (financial) stress from something that is supposed to bring us just the opposite! Needless to say, though, the Escape seems to be an excellent long-term investment.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The standard rivet is selfworked from one side only, the finish side.
Finish side meaning that will look flat when rivet is installed.
To get old rivet out:
Drill The center of rivet with 1/8 drill till the head comes off.
You can buy rivets in all diameters so if hole has been worn to a larger size you will need to re-drill and buy the rivet that will fit the hole you drill and then pop this in from finish side and use tool to set it.
I seal will some silicone applied with a toothpick around edge and in center to keep the job neat.
Gerry the canoebuilder
I'll add one last bit of advice to Gerry's instructions: Hold the rivet head still with a pair of needle-nosw pliers! If the rivet is loose and you hit it with a drill, all the rivet does is spin.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Val, Ian and Paddy are getting ready to leave home again with the Escape 5.0 in tow. You may want to contact them or at least follow this topic: Travels with Ian, Paddy, Gypsy and Rubea II. They MAY travel close enough to you...that it would be beneficial to meet up with them. How close is close, is completely subjective. I'd travel hundreds of miles if it were necessary...but that's me.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Rivits????

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote