Rotochoks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Rotochoks

Anybody had any experience with these? Do they work well? At close to $200, they seem to be rather expensive and very tread-to-tread measurement specific (must measure within 1/4-inch), but they look very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I have not used that product but found a similar product that weighs significantly less, cost is one tenth and from what I can tell work just as well. They are made by Camco and I use the small size, a pair for both sides and available on Amazon. Called a wheel stop.
Attached Images

Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Roto Chocks (or any chocks of this style) are intended for tandem/dual axle trailers. They fit vertically between the two tires to keep them from rolling.

But from your Avatar photo, it looks like you have a Scamp 19 which has a single axle. So you would not use Roto Chocks for this trailer.

ChaChing ! I just saved you $200
Attached Thumbnails
RotoChock.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
The part about tandem axles on a Scamp might be true unless this was Super Scamp. I have only seen Super Scamp once at Scamp Camp in Duluth but it is a fifth wheel Scamp with tandem axles.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

Registry
CPW has advised me that he does not intend to put the Roto Chocks on a single axle trailer and is aware that they are to be used for a dual axle rig.

So, back to the original question, if anyone has used the Roto Chocks, please feel free to chime in and let CPW know how you feel about them.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Florida
Registry
I should add that I am merely interested in the impressions of someone who has actually owned or used Rotochoks. I am not looking for advice.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
The part about tandem axles on a Scamp might be true unless this was Super Scamp. I have only seen Super Scamp once at Scamp Camp in Duluth but it is a fifth wheel Scamp with tandem axles.

If you are referring to a tandem Scamp 19, that might be Merle's trailer. He lives about an hour and a half from me in Florida.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
If you are referring to a tandem Scamp 19, that might be Merle's trailer. He lives about an hour and a half from me in Florida.

Super Scamp was built by and is owned by Frank Glugla of WI. It is also a convertible, in that it can be bumper towed with additional storage under the loft, or with the simple removal of a couple of pins and a hitch ball, the "adapter" can be removed and it can be towed as a fiver.

Merle's trailer was likely the first of it's kind and is a well engineered conversion from a single to a tandem axle, still a 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 001.jpg   Oregon trip 002.jpg  

Oregon trip 003.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
Floyd,

Wasn't aware of Super Scamp. Have only seen Merle's tandem. I know you've seen Merle's. I read about Rotochoks on one of the forums, not sure which one, but someone had mentioned that the Techno-geeks might be using them rather than the other types of tandem Chocks, so I Googled them and watched the video. I was simply curious if anyone with a tandem axle trailer on FGRV had any first hand experience with them. So far it would seem not. Maybe the Rotochoks are something the folks with the big 5th Wheel "stickies" would buy and use.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Registry
Super Scamp looks pretty sweet. It's probably something that most FGRV'rs don't know about. It might be worth starting a new thread discussion about it, Floyd, if Frank Glugla doesn't mind.

But,,, bringing the subject back to CPW's original post...
If anyone has used the Roto Chocks, please feel free to chime in and let CPW know how you feel about them.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Super Scamp looks pretty sweet. It's probably something that most FGRV'rs don't know about.

I agree, Pam. The inventiveness of many egg owners never ceases to amaze me. Super Scamp is a good example of "where there is a will, there is a way."

Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape ('Grasshopper')
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Anybody had any experience with these? Do they work well? At close to $200, they seem to be rather expensive and very tread-to-tread measurement specific (must measure within 1/4-inch), but they look very easy to use.
I've been using them for the past five years with no problems and have been very happy with them. They are definitely easy to use and built with quality materials. If I remember correctly, they were designed & created by a husband and wife in the northeast who used to own an RV campground. They are not distributed via rv dealers or big chain stores and have to be ordered directly from them - similar to molded fg trailer sales. Even though they certainly aren't cheap, they are well worth it to me and I like supporting a "little guy" who sells a quality product..
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote