Rotten Egg Smell - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Rotten Egg Smell

We're continuing to work out the minor annoyances that came with our beloved Scamp. We filled up the water tank and checked out the pump. Everything works great...except the water stinks like rotten eggs :sick .

Here's my idea, we'll see what you guys think. I'm thinking of putting some bleach in the tank. Not much, maybe 2 - 3 tablespoons. Then filling the tank and letting it sit overnight at least. Then emptying and refilling until I'm satisfied that the smell and bleach are gone.

What do you think I should do? Thanks! - Jeremy

Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #2

Hi
I do that all the time.I use a quart.:wave

Old 07-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #3

Rotten to the core

Most RV stores have liquids/tablets for freshwater tanks..supposedly make the tanks suitable for drinking...bah, never found one yet that works. Lots of folks on the forum seem to use their freshwater tanks strictly for dishwashing and general cleanup. Bottled water is used for cooking and drinking water. Our old hottub get's the bleach solution in the spring and is nutralized with a box of baking soda. Then the water is fresh smelling enough for swimming. In fact, the bleach odor is completely gone. Bleach/soda is what I'm using in my freshwater tank as well. About a quart of bleach and the biggest box of soda I can buy. Fill up the tanks about 90 percent full of water, dump in the bleach. Top of tanks with water. Let it sit overnight, then add soda. Next day, flush tanks (several times). I'm sure other's will chime in on other ideas.:wave
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #4

Water Use

Thanks folks! I should note that we don't plan on drinking the tank water. Basic clean up use only. I just want the sulfur smell to go away...so the wife doesn't think it was me!:r
Old 07-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #5

cleaning tanks

Here's a copy of what I do, I got it from an rv site, but can't figure out which one.
:chin

Sanitizing the RV Fresh Water System

Before you use your RV for the first time, or after a long storage you should sanitize your water system and fresh water tank.

Here's how.

Turn the water heater off and let the water cool.
Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in a gallon of water.
Add the chlorine solution to the water tank. Never pour straight bleach into the RV water tank.
One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Top off the water tank and let stand for at least three hours, over night is beffer.
Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open all plumbing drains (if any) and the hot water tank drain plug and drain until the tank is empty.
Close all valves and faucets and drain plugs.
Fill water tank with fresh water.
Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.) Fill the tank again. The water should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong you can repeat the fresh water flush.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:54 AM   #6

use unsented plain bleach

my 2 cents .
Old 07-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #7

bleach

Use plain bleach!

Then you can tell by smell if more rinsing is needed. When ya can't smell it, it's OK. :)

Kinda like propane, a good propane leak detector is yur nose.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:19 AM   #8

Smelly water

In severe cases, bacteria working on algea and other organic substances can produce a gas known as hydrogen sulphide. This ofter occurs in water treatment facilities and sewage treatment plants where non chlorinated water is processed. This Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is poisonous to humans, as it displaces oxygen in the bloodstream. It is often found in oilfields as well. The best measures would to flush the tank with a lot of water, first cold then hot water, then use a strong solution of household bleach to kill the bacteria which may linger. Then if have to use untreated water in the tank, flush it with municipal water as soon as possible. I always carry a bottle of bleach with me on trips to treat water if nessecary. An ounce per gallon is still drinkable and yet safe.
Cheers
:E
Old 07-04-2003, 11:29 AM   #9

Jeremy, is the sulphur (rotten egg) smell stronger when you draw water from the water heater (hot tap, whether it's really hot/heated or not)? I've heard that (some) water heater anode rods have some sulfur content; these will cause the water to be stinky... and so, should be avoided.

I don't think a listing of anode rod ingredients is required on the packaging, however. :wak
Old 07-04-2003, 12:39 PM   #10

AAwww Haaaa :jump-r I thought you could use bleach like that. Just couldn't remember how much. Thanks Owne.
Quote:
Orginally posted by Owen Lindsay
I always carry a bottle of bleach with me on trips to treat water if nessecary. *An ounce per gallon is still drinkable and yet safe.
Cheers
:E *
Old 07-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #11

rotten egg

A rotten egg smell is DEFINATELY caused by certain bacteria in the system somewhere. A flush with bleach should eliminate it.

As far as the anode in the water heater:
Not exactly. The problem of bacteria can be especially bad in a water heater that is left unused for a long period of time. The anode doesn't contain sulfur as much as it is simply destroyed in the process. The house we bought a couple years ago had sat unoccupied for a while before we moved in. You would not believe the smells that were coming out of that hot water heater! Ugh! We had to swap the anode and drain/flush the tank. An amazing amount of disgusting sludge came out of that tank.

mkw
Old 07-08-2003, 09:16 AM   #12

Bleached

Hello all,

I dumped about a quart of bleach in 1/2 tank of water, then filled up the tank with more water. I then ran all of the faucets until I could smell bleach. After sitting a night and 4 tank flushes with fresh water, everything smells grand. The real test will come this weekend when we fire up the water heater. I'll post what I find.

Thanks for all of your help! - Jeremy
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #13

:lol I will pass this on for what it is worth .:o at the turkey Creek scamp durring our Tec session one of our members said "after each use I dump in a pint of Gin Never had bad water":o
Old 07-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #14

:laugh :laugh :laugh I like that solution, Lyndon!

Here's a nice, thorough explanation on the HGTV website.

Apparently it's a magnesium anode rod (mentioned on yet another website) that is reactive with minute quantities of sulfur already present in the water... along with other critters, lack of oxygen, etc.

Apologies for my mistake. :red

Tags
eggcamper