Rotten frame-Trillium-where to get fixed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Name: Gypsee
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
Originally Posted by Pete0556 View Post
I'm sorry, but who buys a VEHICLE without even takin' a look?
Read through the previous threads...I did take a look at the TRAILER, not the VEHICLE...
...but your insult still applies, as I clearly did not check out the frame.

I thought this forum was about being welcoming and helpful...not discourteously pointing out the obvious...what is done is done...was just looking for experienced help/advice.

Gypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
We are all here to learn together.
I am in Bowmanville. Are you located near to me at all?

BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Hi, everybody. Please feel free to help Gypsee with her problem. A bunch of chaff has been deleted from this thread, but she really does need our help, so the thread remains open.

I'm leaving the exchange between Pete and David, because David's response about his own experience with Kijiji may help someone else.

Have a great day, y'all.
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Oh heck unless one is willing to sit in a dark room and do nothing mistakes happen. Wisdom is gained from experience, and experience is what you get from mistakes. I do fault the seller if they did not disclose a known issue but one can't count on that sort of integrity, or be absolutely sure that they knew. Water over the dam either way.

Can't help you on the frame but factory and/or a good local trailer frame builder are both decent options. I would certainly start by contacting the factory as Dave mentioned. Best shot at getting a good replacement and since they build them regularly they may well have the process down to where it is cheaper than the labor cost of having a skilled fabricator weld one up from scratch.

Having done a bit of that sort of work before I can tell you having jigs and templates in a plant used to make the same frame repeatedly can make the whole process go much faster than doing it from scratch as a one of a kind custom build.

Good luck will hopefully follow the bad luck.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #19
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
There is way too much experience and knowledge in this group to let a little rusty frame stop us!
You guys start tossing out the solutions because I know you have them.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Trillium frame

I live in Etobicoke and used a guy who fixes Trillium trailer frames. He used to be in oakville and could easily build a frame from new parts. I had him build me a custom boat trailer frame a couple of years back and was very helpful and reasonable. Let me know if you are still looking and I will see if I can locate him.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #21
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
There are allot of shops that can and are willing to do the frame. What there is not allot of shops that can or willing to strip the body off the frame and then replace the body back on the new frame. Do you have the ability and place to remove and replace the body?
Sometimes these things are a house of cards. A trailer with a badly rotted frame is likely to need more work than just a frame replacement.

Welding shops like to build steel structures its what they live for. Most welding shops wont even want to paint the new frame when its done.

Step 1 remove the body shell.
Step 2 order the new axle.
Step 3 once the axle comes in take the new axle and old frame to your local trailer builders and weld shop and ask for help.

Don't bother calling these shops just to hear a big we don't do that. Make them see the problem and deny or quote face to face. You will eventually find a place to help you. There's always welding night classes you can take to get it done.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
Name: Don
I ham having my axle replaced tomorrow locally In Barrie. They are removing my Trillium from the frame as not to damage it when welding the new axle on. I will ask them if they are able to make a new frame. They are great guys and also gave me some ideas for future projects.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #23
Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey Gypsee,

Sorry to hear about your trailer. Speaking from experience, many of us have spent too much on our trailers not knowing how much work they really require. It's a hard learned life lesson. I think some others here might not be willing to admit their mistakes or they've just been extremely lucky.

Anyhow, you should be able to find a welding shop near you that can build you a frame. If you were on this side to TO, I'd recommend Paul Neumeister
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

You may just want to give him a call as he has a welding shop, is a really decent guy, and may be able to build a proper frame for you. He has experience in this area. Hate to make you drive back to the Baden area and beyond but a phone call might be helpful or he may know someone close to you.

stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Name: Don
These guys will reproduce a new frame for you or repair your old one. They are located just off Hwy 400 in Barrie
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #25
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
This weekend I drove to Vernon BC to pick up a Trillium 1300 frame. He wanted $300 for the frame. The frame is in good shape, but the axle is shot, so I will also need one of those. In addition to the frame, I bought the front, back, (both the six pane version) and one side window, as well as the door, from the 1300 that he used to make mould for a Trillium variant.

No trailers were ever produced from this mould.

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote