Rotten wood panelling .... How deep do I dig?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: bigfoot
Alberta
Rotten wood panelling .... How deep do I dig??

Hi everyone... The work on Notorius BIG is well underway. The previous owner did some verys suspect gas and electrical work, and we have since sorted that out, as well as properly attaching our grey water tank which seemed to be hanging on by a thread.

Now, I have removed the cupboard behind the entrance dinette, it will be a full time bed, and we would prefer to have the length.

When I removed the cupboard I noticed the wood, window to 5" down was flakey, and rotten. I cut out some of it, because 1. I was curious. 2. I figured it would teach me a bit about how the trailer was made.

- Do I need to replace the foam as well as the panelling?

- what is that pink stuff?

Im glad I created that extra space, but am afraid what lies behind the other walls/ windows. Obviously we will be revealing them shortly, but any advice on how to repair what my curiosity killed is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Barb

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427072858.147012.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	81613Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427072875.228024.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	81614Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427072886.111557.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	81615Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427072898.296048.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	81616

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
First, if you haven't already done it, fix the window leak. It probably needs new butyl tape. Taking the window out is not nearly as hard as it sounds. I would reseal all the windows before any new leaks develop.

Second, remove all the damaged paneling an make an evaluation. Do you want a patch, or a complete panel replacement? Could you possibly patch the area then add some nice shelves or something to cover the seam. I don't think a patch could be made that did not show. The other option would be to replace the whole panel.

The paneling is glued to the foam insulation, "the pink stuff". The insulation is closed cell foam meaning water will not get into the insulation so it should be fine unless you find mold. The paneling replacement or patching should be done by someone with some patience and decent woodworking skills. I don't think you have a structural issue. Resealing the windows that are not leaking yet would be a priority for me before any more paneling is damaged.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Barbara
Trailer: bigfoot
Alberta
Thanks so much Jack. I panicked at the "pop the window out" suggestion, and I hope it's as easy as everyone says it is. I think we will be good to replace the whole panel. And I do believe we will have more than just one window to reseal. Any idea what kind of glue the "pink stuff" is, or what I should use to affix the panel to the foam??

Many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV