rremoving old fabric Campster poptop-owner input needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
rremoving old fabric Campster poptop-owner input needed

I'm on the verge of removing the old poptop. It looks like I just need to undo some Philips screws on a piece of wood veneer to undo the top, then under the lip to remove the wood strips that hold the bottom down. I'm not sure if I want to do the latter for fear of having it hard to reattach. Is it? I am planning to mount the new poptop with Velcro so I'll have easier access to the mechanism and to do repairs, so I could just cut the old top off at the top of the wood.

Also, when I undo the top part, will the vinyl cover (that is supposed to snap around the poptop when down) also come down? Maybe I should just cut all of it but the top looks a bit safer to do.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Pop top replaced

Hello there, we just replaced our top and used velcro -hubby stapled the velcro to the wood around the and bottom and top.
I sewed the velcro to the rip stop-top and bottom. Dont use the sticky velcro for the pop top material-it will stick to sewing machine needle and that is a mess.
So easy to take down and remove the if necessary-no boards to remove.
I haven't sewn in windows-too nervous about messing up the top.
If I need to make another top again I wont use rip stop-it is to hard to work with in such a large size.
Make the top and bottom area a little bigger around than what you measure.
Good luck!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Registry
so my question- did you remove the old top or just cut it off flush? I have sticky for the frame and sew-on for the fabric so I'm all for putting it back on with Velcro, but I have to remove the old stuff first.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Campster top

We removed the canvas and boards around the top and bottom.
The boards were rotted-we put on new boards-and then stapled velcro to them.
I am not a seamstress so the top is not perfect but will work.
We have ordered frame parts to make new screens-the camper had windows silconed shut and no screen with frames.
Removing the silicone was quite a chore in itself-windows now open but still have silicone on them in hard to get to the areas.

We will be getting our stripe decals next week.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Registry
My boards are fine- that's why I'm reluctant to start unscrewing things! But I might, and then paint the boards. I have new weather seal for the top. Plan is to make a windowless tent for this next trip and then over the winter install screened windows.

Windows could use work- I had both opening and closing but I think they are stuck again. It rarely matters but it would be nice if they worked well.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Registry
I decided after undoing one screw and realizing I'd have to go inside the cabinets for some, to cut it out. Problem- the top became very unstable without the fabric keeping it from falling to one side. I'm thinking this is looser springs or something on one side than the other. Did anyone else have this problem? What did you do? I'm worried that with Velcro and lighter fabric I'll have an issue and will have to brace the top when open.

I'm also finding the original screens are really solidly in there- I may be able to unscrew them at the top, though, since that's the only place the fabric is different.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I don't have any first hand knowledge of your type of camper. You may get a better fit on your fabric if you can get the original piece out as "intact" as possible. Then use the old piece as the pattern for the replacement.

Seems like you may have some other problems if the frame can't support itself without fabric.

Best of luck!
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Registry
Too late for intact- I had to remove it in more pieces than I'd have liked. It was already torn in places so that was inevitable. Yes, I realize there is a problem with the frame stability (hence the question.) I'd like to know if the frame is always unstable without fabric or whether mine is weak. I think I can stabilize it but I'd rather fix it. One reason I want the new fabric to be attached with Velcro is that it allows easier access to the poptop mechanism when repairs are needed.

The good news- the trim I ordered fits; I just need to clean up the edges a bit and then I'll be able to install it. Good fit, nice and tight with the metal clips.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #9

Campster pop up top

Our top will stay up without the canvas-but does lean to one side a bit-weak spring on that side.
We use a board at each end to help stable the top until we figure out a better way .
I still have the old top if you need ours for a pattern.
We didnt have screws in the cabinets but think some things were changed over the years.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #10

Registry
Mine is the same year as yours. I had trouble replacing the spring on the side it leans to so I'm surprised- that should be the weaker side but I think it would lean to the stronger side? I'm going to try some cross-bungees to stabilize. It might stay up but I didn't want to try it when it seemed to want to fall (afraid it would rip something loose.)

I don't think I'll need the old one for a pattern, as I have enough of it to go by, but thanks. If I need some measurements I'll let you know. I used a bit of PVC pipe to hold it up when the first spring broke (for quite some time) so that's not a big issue.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

Registry
Actually it is turning out to be more of an issue than I anticipated. I can't work on stabilizing it without stabilizing it first. I need some good ideas on how to support the top and keep it from leaning (which it can do to either side) while finding a way to reinforce it more permanently. The problem is that the only thing holding it up is the two crossed bars on each of the long sides, and they have enough flex to lean to one side or the other. (I can post a picture if we have any engineering types here who want to see it.)
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #12

Registry
The fabric on the ends apparently prevented the sway, so I'm thinking if I attach two cross-pieces of strap to each end, they'll do the same thing. But I can't work on it without holding it into place- Catch 22. (No helper here and not something I can do one-handed.)
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
Our top will stay up without the canvas-but does lean to one side a bit-weak spring on that side.
We use a board at each end to help stable the top until we figure out a better way .
I still have the old top if you need ours for a pattern.
We didnt have screws in the cabinets but think some things were changed over the years.
The PVC pipe worked when it was just one side and the fabric was still there. Now I'm stuck.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

Campster top

The straps seem like a good idea-we may try that-the straps could stay permantly and just fold down with top-will let you if we do that also.

Isn't this forum great- many prople with good ideas and plenty of help with problem solving.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #15

Registry
Good idea- if I can find a way to hold the top up long enough to attach them! It has to be straight up for the straps to keep it straight up. I might be able to get someone to stand inside and hold it straight (I measured so I can calculate how long the strap would need to be and then just use a drill to quickly attach each one. It might be tricky getting them to fold down on the inside, though.

Nothing else I've tried has worked to even temporarily hold it in place. There is just too much play in the mechanism (side to side.) I'm working on sewing the top as that may be the best solution.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #16

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3139286737.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	63447

The top stabilization worked like a charm. Just one end attached and it was stable; now there are two so it will stay. I'll keep my eye out for a high-quality webbing that will last for years outside (but mostly it isn't exposed to the sun as it will be closed up.) I used 1/2 inch stainless steel wood screws to attach 1 inch webbing across both ends, diagonally as shown (blue.)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #17

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Bobbie,

That looks great. I have thought about putting webbing on the ends and will make that part of my winter project list. I did use rip stop for the fabric and I think the fabric isn't as stiff as the original so it isn't as supportive.

I have velcro on the fabric to make it easier to remove the fabric and to get to the mechanism.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #18

Registry
I did Velcro, too. The straps across the ends made it like a rock so you could leave the whole top off in good weather with no bugs. I left it up in the wind and it didn't move. I may make a second top just out of mesh for hot weather. (Though I'm going to put more windows in this one.) I'll post it in a moment.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #19

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3237014593.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	63504

So far only one window on the end but after this next trip I'll put more windows in it. I was going to wait to post it until after doing the Trim Lok but I'm still fighting with rivets. The fabric is similar to Cordura but a bit lighter-weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

Pop top

Great job! The top looks great.
We are going to try the cross straps-I am sure they will work for us too.
Not sure if I will get windows and screens in the top very soon-ripstop is a pain to work with.
May sew a completely different top with some heavy water resistant fabric.
Someone used a fabric shower curtain-I may look into that too.
Our next project is the new vent fan. The former owners put a vent in the top and used 32 screws-overkill.

Keep up the good work and ideas.

Tags
campster, vin